The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

12 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

20 of those 51 goals have come in six games against lower league teams, including extra-time against Annan. 😀 Hearts haven't played any lower league teams this season, and you've only out-scored us by four in the league, and remember you've played a game more. Since we played you at Pittodrie, we've outscored you 12-11 despite Aberdeen playing a game more than Hearts in that period (7v6).

You've also conceded more than Hearts, despite Hearts playing almost the whole season up to now without being able to play anything like our first-choice defence. With Halkett, Rowles, Kingsley all available again, and Baningime seemingly on the way, we'll only get stronger.

We kept hearing all season last year that the metrics had Hearts as due to slip down the table, but we finished third by about a hundred points, so I'll not worry about that too much.

And I think you need to take into account that Aberdeen have had it all in their favour so far this season. No European fitba to congest the fixture list, and nothing like the injury trouble Hearts (and Hibs) have had. I think these factors may contribute to these metrics you speak of. I'm not sure why you think having played Hibs (who have lost seven of their last 8 league games and we have coming up at home) twice is some kind of defence of Aberdeen. The bottom line is that you've had everything in your favour in terms of the league this season, even down to playing an injury-ravaged Heart side at home off the back of a European game, and you're still only a point ahead of us having played a game more.

Our away record is marginally better than yours, and our home record in PPG is the same as yours, but we have St Mirren (who are shocking away from home) at home in hand. The sands are shifting.

You've to come to our place in a few weeks (probably having to face our first team this time), which you haven't had to do yet, and we've got the game in hand with St Mirren before that. Aberdeen have back-to-back away games coming up, which will tell us a lot. If they go and win them, fair play. But there's not much to suggest they will. I said before the break that Aberdeen's position relative to Hearts was a false one, and I think we're seeing that play out as the fixtures balance out.

Aberdeen certainly have a chance of finishing third, but, speaking as someone who is not typically a Hearts optimist, I don't think you will.

As a Dons man, I find it hard to disagree with any of that…

Ya Jambo bas 

You try and not get embarrassed with the football because let’s be honest, we all support teams with a propensity to be shite. 

But that’s twice in a few days I’ve felt cringing embarrassment at this team, for different reasons granted but hugely humiliating. 

28 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I'd have thought Brechin would be one of the last clubs Aberdeen fans would take umbrage at, given their hedge furnished one of the more chucklesome moments of 'the journey'. 

I think you're maybe getting your Angus and Luxemburger hedges confused...

7 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I said more or less the same thing as my honourable friend.

Aberdeen do have a chance of third, but I don't think it's a particularly good chance from where things stand. Unless they spend again, of course. He seems to rate your chances a little higher than me, but that's it.

I don't think it's un-sensible to point out that Aberdeen (and Goodwin) have had a very fair wind so far this season. I'd be disappointed to have made so little of it.

I suppose the bottom line for me is that if we'd played that game in hand against St Mirren we'd have played the same number of games v the OF, the same number of home games and the same number of away games as Aberdeen, and we'd be somewhere between a point behind and two points ahead. Essentially an equal footing. 

Like you, I'd have snapped your hand off for that situation if you'd offered it in October.  But I think that's more because I feared we'd be out of it rather than necessarily being firm favourites if we got to this point.

Returning players and less fixture congestion should mean we improve, but there are also some areas of doubt. Neilson hasn't had Kingsley, Halkett and Rowles available at the same time - will he try to shoehorn them in in a way that upsets the balance of the team? Is Halkett fully over his hamstring issues? The spread of goals across the squad is also a bit of a concern for me and I'd be very worried if Shankland picked up an injury. With there being nothing in it points-wise, it wouldn't take much to knock us off course.

On the other hand, there are reasons to believe Aberdeen might improve and that they've actually already improved. They essentially signed a new team in the summer and they've taken some time to gel and figure out what works. For example, the game against us was Duk's second league start of the season and the first time he'd played more than 45 minutes. Since pairing him with Miovski they've only dropped points to the OF and away at Livi (a match in which they missed a heap of chances). They'd also won 5 home matches in a row prior to the OF double header and did so by at least a couple of goals in 4 of those. They haven't played too many away games in that period so it's hard to say if they've still got results like the capitulations at Tannadice and Easter Road in them. In any case, they're on pace for 55-60 points just now which will see them in the mix. 

The bookies seem to favour us slightly but not by much. That feels about right to me as I think we've got the better defence and midfield and, while Aberdeen arguably have more goal threat, we still score a decent amount. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to the wire though.

6 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

As has been pointed out to you, you have a massive squad which is aging, if you can't get a good enough team on the park due to masses of injuries then there is no-one to blame but yourselves. As has also been pointed out, we've been there with signing aging/crocked players and managed to come out the other side. The fact we have recruited better and not had injuries does not constitute a 'fair wind', rather a good policy. Hearts are evens to finish 3rd, the Dons are 2/1, I know what constitutes value out of the two. 

ETA because I didn't want to make a new post about Hearts: this is bollocks.

Since we came back up we've signed 20 first team players. 2 were older than 27 (one a reserve goalkeeper) and 13 were younger than 25.

Also, the most impactful injuries have been Baningime (24, no significant injuries since 2019), Rowles (24, no history of injuries), Halkett (27, never missed more than a few weeks before and played every minute in 20/21) and Boyce (31, has fucked his knee before but had barely missed a game in 5 years). The only significant players which could be described as ageing (Gordon, Snodgrass, Halliday, Smith) have been available pretty much the whole season and one of them was probably only signed to cover existing injuries.

Edited by DC92

26 minutes ago, strichener said:

Do Hearts not have a thread of their own?

Came into read what the Dons are saying about their latest OF capitulation and see a plethora of posts about Hearts. 🤔

Aye but nobody wants to read about the third best team, who are on course to win the coveted Third Place Trophy for a second successive season.

So their fans have to post elsewhere for bites.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

Do Hearts not have a thread of their own?

Came into read what the Dons are saying about their latest OF capitulation and see a plethora of posts about Hearts. 🤔

Nah, this must be the Brechin thread.

11 hours ago, AJF said:

Duk (and the others) ran straight to the Rangers fans when he scored. Let's be balanced, fans love it when their player noises up the opposition fans, not so much when they are on the receiving end.

I didn’t like it when our players celebrated in front of the Rangers fans, but my point was that every Rangers player was going mental and celebrating together in front of their fans, except Morelos. He was carrying the ball walking slowly along the bye line from the posts to the corner flag, a scowl on his face and mouthing to us with not a hint of celebration. As I said Collum eventually noticed it and booked him for making his hand gestures towards the RDS. Why would he not feel like celebrating. Is he definitely leaving?

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I didn’t like it when our players celebrated in front of the Rangers fans, but my point was that every Rangers player was going mental and celebrating together in front of their fans, except Morelos. He was carrying the ball walking slowly along the bye line from the posts to the corner flag, a scowl on his face and mouthing to us with not a hint of celebration. As I said Collum eventually noticed it and booked him for making his hand gestures towards the RDS. Why would he not feel like celebrating. Is he definitely leaving?

We all know why.

He’s a moron.

Laughable how fat & unfit he is too.

What an absolute waster. 

The fact The Rangers have let his contract run down is almost as laughable.

What is Ross Wilson doing FFS? 

8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

It doesn’t really bother me. 

A few years ago we drew 1-1 with them in the cup at pittodrie and when they equalised I think Kent ran over to the south stand giving it the ‘shhh’ and Morelos and tavernier went running to the main stand giving it the big one (none of these guys had actually scored). Just remember thinking it was amusing how rattled they were by us. 

Helps that we went and pumped them in the replay. 

10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

That's fair enough, I'd imagine you may be in the minority of fans that dislike their players giving it a bit to the opposition fans, though.

Also, do you know Morelos? He is a big angry guy and always has been. It's rare that you see him without a scowl on his face, even when scoring himself he can often be a big grump.

I think you may be reading into his reaction a bit too much. He was giving it to a set of fans where there is no love lost between them who have went out of their way to insult him in the past. He probably seen it as a way to get back at them a bit.

I didn't have any issues with the Rangers players giving it laldy towards the Aberdeen fans. It's not like our fans were angels on Tuesday singing about wanting Ryan Jack to die and also singing about Davie Cooper and Fernando Ricksen.

Can't dish it out and not expect it in return.

Best of luck to Banks o'Dee tonight btw.