The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

11 hours ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

See on Twitter we have apparently made contact with the Angolan midfielder that Rangers were linked with. Plays in Portugal 2nd tier so not hard to imagine we've certainly looked at him after Duk. 

Mambuene Mukendi. 

Is that from the FrazFletcher guy? He seems to have a bit of the Agent Scotland about him.

Edited by Dunty

Not on the wind up but where do Aberdeen fans think you should be in the league?

Jim Goodwin was pretty cautious in games against the Cheeks when he was with us as he was terrified of a pasting but he has your 3rd in the league…………..so where do you think he can do better?

Sack him if he isn’t doing the business but just wondering what the expectations are?

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

So where do you think he can do better?

If he could play with a midfield next time rather than eight defenders and two isolated attackers then that would be grand.

We might be 3rd for the moment but let's see what happens now that Hearts are out of Europe.

He also had a decent wedge to spend in the summer so a Top 4 finish in the league and a return to Europe isn't asking too much.

But, in my mind, he must deliver European football for next season if he wants to be Aberdeen manager past the summer.

If, at any time this season, European football becomes unattainable then it should be goodbye to Jim with immediate effect and get the new man bedded in. 

To date, he hasn't impressed or shown that he's anything other than a reasonable interviewee.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

4 hours ago, Torfason said:

Not on the wind up but where do Aberdeen fans think you should be in the league?

Jim Goodwin was pretty cautious in games against the Cheeks when he was with us as he was terrified of a pasting but he has your 3rd in the league…………..so where do you think he can do better?

Sack him if he isn’t doing the business but just wondering what the expectations are?

There’s no judgement of him yet. 3rd would be a success but we’re less than halfway through the season and we could be out of 3rd before Christmas. 

I still haven’t made up my mind on him, I like him as a guy but there’s some red flags tactically that are worrying me. Saturday was case in point, the fact it was so polar opposite to what he did at ibrox is genuinely baffling and I am struggling to reconcile the thought process. Both approaches were stupid from the word go. 

His problem this season overall is that the lows so far have been absolute stinkers. Some utterly appalling performances. 

5 hours ago, Torfason said:

He's taken a big gamble with recruitment and has an unbalanced squad (not sure how in control Goodwin is of this). We've been fortunate with few injuries in defence or central midfield, because we have limited cover (Polvara or Milne). He's said he wants to address this in January and rumours are that it is getting sorted. 

He's made some bold calls with mixed results. Punting captain caveman as soon as he came in the door was a big plus. Roos in for Lewis looked suspect but is now looking like a good call. Giving Stewart the armband still looks baffling. 

There's a worrying inability to change a set up that's not working. When we've looked good we've looked really good. When we've been shite it's been as bad as i can remember. 

Still to early to judge. He's still relatively inexperienced so a lot depends on his ability to learn and adapt. 

11 hours ago, Torfason said:

I actually think Hearts and St Mirren will finish ahead of us. Hearts have easily the 3rd best squad in the league and I was very impressed by Saints in their games with Celtic and Rangers at Paisley and think they've got enough about them to be 4th.

We will be battling Hibs, Livingston, St Johnstone and the others for 5th.

12 hours ago, Torfason said:

I think it comes down to how much he strengthens in January. For me, we are still 3 first team players away from having any sort of confidence that we can finish 3rd. Still need a first choice RB, CB and midfielder for me. We've not had a Kenny McLean type since he left. 

I don't think they way he set up on Saturday was wrong. You can't attack Celtic from the start. But the difference between us and St Mirren was that St Mirren defended higher up and this pushed their midfield up. We defended on our own 18 yard line and the midfield were dropping deeper by the minute. This effectively gave us a back 8 and 40 yard garp between 2 strikers up against their defence. Don't have an issue starting defensively. But when it's 0-0 after an hour us (as the home team) have to show some sort of attacking intent. 

For tomorrow i'd move to a back 4. Bring Hayes back in aswell. 

Edited by DunbartonshireRed

4 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

I actually think Hearts and St Mirren will finish ahead of us. Hearts have easily the 3rd best squad in the league and I was very impressed by Saints in their games with Celtic and Rangers at Paisley and think they've got enough about them to be 4th.

We will be battling Hibs, Livingston, St Johnstone and the others for 5th.

St Mirren? 🤣

Come on now.

Jim thinks he got plaudits for the set up at Ibrox. He's on another planet.

I like him but I wouldn't be bothered if he left tomorrow.

Saturday tells us Jim doesn't really fancy our defence against Celtic without Scales. That he wants to find ways to play both strikers and that he was fine with the midfield saving themselves for tomorrow against Mordor's minions.

All will be forgiven if we can beat them now and in January.

In fairness, I missed the Sh#tfest on Saturday, but would prefer that those tactics be kept for difficult away games in the future.

12 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

15 (!) years ago.

I wish someone would upload HD quality footage of this game.

Good watch, but the quality was atrocious, had to wait for the replays to really see the first 3 goals.

22 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Fairly depressing reading our stats against the bigot brothers since 2016.

image.png.a4b71f85762af8da75206dbcced5effe.png

image.png.79f67e83bb286271fee94ac052e0e56a.png

We're slightly better against Rangers but of course they're slightly worse than Celtic.

As a nerd, I felt an overwhelming urge to spreadsheet these to aid comparability.

Based on the Gd above, the difference is slight but on points we’ve done ~2.5x   times better against Rangers, with 15 point’s compared to 6. That’s 21.74% of available points (23.81% of points awarded), compared to 8.33% (8.70%) against Celtic.

I’ve compared this to Statista’s average salary estimates for 19/20. (Most recent I could see). We have 15.69% of Celtic’s budget and 21.62% of Rangers’.

Using the total points awarded and assuming that expected distribution of points is proportional to budgets, we’ve overperformed by 10% against blue cheek and underperformed by 45% against Celtic.

Unfortunately, that’s no less depressing reading.

5 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Fairly depressing reading our stats against the bigot brothers since 2016.

image.png.a4b71f85762af8da75206dbcced5effe.png

image.png.79f67e83bb286271fee94ac052e0e56a.png

We're slightly better against Rangers but of course they're slightly worse than Celtic.

I can also think of quite a few games against Rangers where we've been quite unlucky to lose/draw whereas I feel like we're just often awful against Celtic.

0-0 against Celtic with a few minutes to go. We Lose 1-0.

2-1 up against The Rangers with 3 minutes to go. We Lose 3-2.

Something seriously wrong there. So negative and so vulnerable at the back. The substitutions were terrible. Dropping points in the manner we did is a sore one to take.

Morris, Richardson and Stewart have been stinking. Defence needs some serious investment.

Edit: Barron looked promising last season but has regressed big time under Goodwin. What's going on there!?

Edited by HarleyQuinn

On 19/12/2022 at 10:04, DunbartonshireRed said:

We defended on our own 18 yard line and the midfield were dropping deeper by the minute. This effectively gave us a back 8 and 40 yard garp between 2 strikers up against their defence.

Appreciate the honest replies from you lads. Tonight was the first time I’ve watched Aberdeen outside of games against us and I totally get the frustration now!