The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

One word.
Cost. 
Don’t quote me on this but I seem to recall reading or hearing that the difference between 16k & 18k was about £10m   

Maybe so but in ten years time that extra ten million will have paid for itself I think it’s down to cormack saying he’s gonna deliver on a short term basis looks at the financials and realises it’s gonna be more of a long term project before a return is made

1 hour ago, kenrobell said:

Maybe so but in ten years time that extra ten million will have paid for itself I think it’s down to cormack saying he’s gonna deliver on a short term basis looks at the financials and realises it’s gonna be more of a long term project before a return is made

Aye, totally agree.

Needs to be 18k 

Cormack insists a new stadium will now cost ‘probably 50m to 60m’ – if the Dons ‘are going to do it right’

That'll be a first.

Thon diddies in Istanbul that pumped Hearts the other week new stadium cost 178m TRY (inc 3 Training pitches etc) and has a 17,319 capacity,it didnt look too shabby. 

Up that to 19,030 and get 'er done. 

13 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Am I the only one who sees little benefit to Ramadani being in our team. Apart from celebrate wildly when we score or win, what does he actually do?

Ramadani has had some poor games, but I can't think of a scenario at the moment where we would be a better team without him. He is a good reader of the game, he knows when to be the first pass for the centre-backs, he is calm in possession when he is pressed, and he gives a platform for the likes of Barron and Clarkson to play with more freedom. 

He isn't perfect, but he is one of these players whose positive attributes might become more obvious if you took him out of the team for a little while. I mean, we are a fairly open team with him, but I dread to think what we would look like without him. 

15 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Cormack has previously provided the example of Juve deciding to downsize their stadium. By reducing the stadium capacity you create a scarcity of tickets. Therefore fans are more concerned about missing out on the bigger matches which in theory creates a higher demand in tickets. He believes this will increase average season ticket sales which the club can sell at a higher price resulting in an increase in revenue from the new stadium.

I'd personally prefer the club to build a 22k stadium just for the argument of not having a smaller stadium than our Edinburgh rivals. Across Europe, many clubs (including Juve) don't see Stadium capacity as something to brag about.

If the new (reduced capacity) stadium results in greater profits and therefore greater success on the pitch, I doubt any Aberdeen fan would care not one iota what opposition supporters think about our downsized capacity.

That's great if you're Juventus, have huge nationwide (and beyond) support, and play games against Inter, AC Milan, Roma, Napoli etc, and regularly compete in the Champions League.

Applying the same model to Aberdeen is completely idiotic. How much does he think the people of Aberdeen are willing to spend on a season ticket? Considering he'd be locking in a permanent financial disadvantage to Hearts and Hibs without doing so, he'd better hope the good folk of the north are prepared to pay absolutely ludicrous prices to see Aberdeen play games against Hearts, Motherwell, and St Johnstone.

Hearts have capped themselves at 15,600 STs, and they're not cheap. Aberdeen would need to cap themselves considerably lower than that in a 16k stadium, so how much more would they have to charge? Considering Aberdeen's current support level, this is insanity. Assuming you'd need to cap at something like 13,800, I've done some fag-packet calculations based on Hearts and Aberdeen's prices this season. To match Hearts' ST income in your tiny ground, your Platinum tickets would probably need to be at around 700 quid, up from 473, and your gold ones around 510, up from 389. Sound good?

Hearts, for example, have settled on about 1.5m a year from FoH contributions, have 15,600 (paying a good whack) ST holders, and a capacity of around 20,000 which allows us to bring in good levels of wonga. Also, corporate stuff, the restaurant, bar, seemingly maybe even a hotel. Seeing Aberdeen come swinging at us with their pokey wee 16k stadium would be a good laugh. Long term, they'd struggle to regularly keep up with us and Hibs, who also have a bigger stadium and are getting themselves together commercially.

Cormack is an absolute rocket.

Edited by VincentGuerin

I think the talk of a 16k stadium is long gone now. 

We've only played 7 home games and we've already had 3 of those home games bring in a crowd of over 16k. Our current average is 15,349 and that figure is predominantly home support too given that there has only been two fixtures where over 1k away supporters have attended. 

Home support seems to be trending upwards due to the Red Shed uptake which sells out each week. Obviously, home form helps too but I think the atmosphere has made a bigger difference to people attending more games. 

13 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

One word.

Cost. 

Don’t quote me on this but I seem to recall reading or hearing that the difference between 16k & 18k was about £10m   

I don't know what school of accountancy you went to, the difference between 18K and 16K is 2k. Duh!

On 15/11/2022 at 08:15, kingjoey said:

Am I the only one who sees little benefit to Ramadani being in our team. Apart from celebrate wildly when we score or win, what does he actually do?

13 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

😂

Ramadani has been a standout this season.

Somewhere in between these two views is about right i reckon. That narrows it down. 

Wins a lot of loose balls, generally protects the defence, always shows for a short pass out of defence and moves the ball quickly through midfield, as often as not forwards. On the other hand he has games where nothing goes right (Motherwell and Utd away) and he's prone to rushing out to cut out passes he's no chance of getting and leaving a big gap in behind. 

Compared to last season's squad, not as good as Ferguson could be but an upgrade on Ojo, McGeogh and Campbell. 

45 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

😂

Ramadani has been a standout this season.

We all see things differently, but I just don't see this. What I see is a timid central midfielder who doesn't like to tackle and puts away so many passes that puts the receiving player under immediate pressure. He comes across as so aggressive when celebrating goals and wins, but doesn't replicate that when the ball's there to be won. I'm more than happy for him to convince me otherwise over the next few months. 

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

Somewhere in between these two views is about right i reckon. That narrows it down. 

Wins a lot of loose balls, generally protects the defence, always shows for a short pass out of defence and moves the ball quickly through midfield, as often as not forwards. On the other hand he has games where nothing goes right (Motherwell and Utd away) and he's prone to rushing out to cut out passes he's no chance of getting and leaving a big gap in behind. 

Compared to last season's squad, not as good as Ferguson could be but an upgrade on Ojo, McGeogh and Campbell. 

On the subject of Dean Campbell, has anyone been watching how he's getting on?

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

We all see things differently, but I just don't see this. What I see is a timid central midfielder who doesn't like to tackle and puts away so many passes that puts the receiving player under immediate pressure. He comes across as so aggressive when celebrating goals and wins, but doesn't replicate that when the ball's there to be won. I'm more than happy for him to convince me otherwise over the next few months. 

Hopefully he avoids it, but I think we'll really miss him if he picks up an injury or suspension.

1 hour ago, naegoodinthedark said:

On the subject of Dean Campbell, has anyone been watching how he's getting on?

Can't say I've watched any of their games but checking randomly the results on Google it looks like for the most part he's involved every week but is on the bench more often than not.

15 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Can't say I've watched any of their games but checking randomly the results on Google it looks like for the most part he's involved every week but is on the bench more often than not.

He always seems to be on the bench, although Stevenage are challenging strongly for promotion. 

18 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

He always seems to be on the bench, although Stevenage are challenging strongly for promotion. 

Yeah I saw he started in the FA cup game recently but good chance as you say if they're doing well in the league that may have been a case of resting other players rather than him getting picked on merit.