The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

16 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

😀

Fucking hell, how does that get printed?

I know it's a local paper, but that's fanzine stuff, and shite fanzine stuff.

I love this bit:

'This weekend, the Dons travel to Rangers knowing a win would move them to within four points of the second-placed Ibrox side.'

Translation, if Aberdeen win a game they're unlikely to win, they'll still be two games behind  a side with a budget that massively dwarfs theirs and whom they have absolutely no chance of finishing above this season.

Who's the writer? I'm assuming he's 18 or something?

It certainly wasn't James Forbes.

16 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Ah! I did post about the fixtures, aye. But I made absolutely no predictions. Just an observation on the current state of play and a look at the next few weeks.

I'm not a predictions man.

One man's observations are another man's predictions.

8 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Sportsound were bigging up this game tonight too.  Tom English with the 'if Aberdeen have anything about them, they'll be looking to win this game" and all that

This is also on the back of the "Are Aberdeen back as Scotlands 3rd force" article on BBC Sport Scotland.................one or two defeats and they will be asking if Goodwin is under pressure and referring back to the defeat at Tannadice as if it was season defining. 

Unfortunately the bar for what passes as decent journalism these days is pretty low.

10 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Sportsound were bigging up this game tonight too.  Tom English with the 'if Aberdeen have anything about them, they'll be looking to win this game" and all that.

We've been here before when the current 'best of the rest' travel to Glasgow to play an apparently off form bigot brother.  It normally ends up at least a 3 goal home win.

Normally better when going there to fly under the radar and get them half @rsed  e.g. Livi at the weekend.

Saying that - fk it, heed first dandies...............

Aye, it's an annual event.

Then post-match hand-wringing of 'Well, so much for that CHALLENGE then'.

It's all very silly.

I wouldn't rule-out Aberdeen getting something from the game, Rangers are wobbling and Aberdeen are in good nick, but there's no chance anyone other than the OF gets a CL place.

21 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Same.

As much as I think The EE is a shit rag, the lad Wallace is a dandy and a decent chap if i recall correctly the times i've been in his company many years ago.

Correct, he's my pal and 100% a Dandy and a toff

Edited by Bogbrush1903

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Aye, it's an annual event.

Then post-match hand-wringing of 'Well, so much for that CHALLENGE then'.

It's all very silly.

I wouldn't rule-out Aberdeen getting something from the game, Rangers are wobbling and Aberdeen are in good nick, but there's no chance anyone other than the OF gets a CL place.

Whilst I agree that there's absolutely no chance of this Aberdeen team finishing second this season and unlikely we even take anything up the road with us points wise on Saturday, I still think Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and to a lesser extent Dundee United could and possibly should be doing better at narrowing the gap.

I think the Gruesomes get it too easy. I read 'The Ball is Round' by David Goldblatt and he mentioned that the Argentinians have a specific term when the match is already won before the players come out of the dressing room because of players mentality to certain matches. I think Lee Johnson has mentioned something similar this week regarding the homegrown Scottish players and it's a point of view that I agree with.

I know that the vast gap in finances, and larger squads make it so difficult today (and then you counter-in the bias that exists in Scottish football where referees are influenced towards them and we have to play semi-finals and finals in their city), and we've seen this season with their European performances that the Gruesomes are just as powerless when the boot is on the other foot.

However, I still feel that they aren't tested enough, that the belief isn't there in managers and players that they can beat them. Sometimes it looks like they can play at 50% and still win, not because they are so much better, but because of that lack of belief.

For example, I've always felt that they sign stronger forward minded players than they do defensively. Yet teams will go to Glasgow, give them all the possession they want and sit in hoping that they get lucky. Of course, 9.99999 times out of 10 that policy will fail as it only takes one lapse of concentration.   

Edited by Bogbrush1903

16 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:
Daft as f**k to try it today.

How can we all see that, but a professional football manager cannot?

It was so predictable we'd get rumped today. Goodwin also needs to learn that the weegia will feast on his rent-a-quote before the game to fire the home team's players and fans alike up.

Everything about today was horrendously naive - and that was despite the gift of taking the lead, and then having something to hang on to.  In-game adjustment to tighten up at the back maybe?  Nope.

A huge three games coming up before the World Cup.

A great chance to right some wrongs against Hibs and United at home and a trip to Livi who have a very good defensive record if you discount their capitulation against us.

Would be great to be sitting in third going into the break.

50 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Surely not bound to playing one way?

My point was we had it for the last 3 games that's why Goodwin played it, very brave but I would rather play this way than McInnes did once Rangers got stronger.

As someone posted on the match thread maybe best to get the balance between McInnes negative and Goodwin positive approach.

Think today's game shows we are fair way behind Rangers but qualifying for Europe isn't going to be judged on these results and Friday game is massive.

If today’s shitshow hasn’t put you off football, the AFC women’s team are playing Glasgow Women tomorrow at Pittodrie. Free for season ticket holders, aberdna and under 12s, £5 for everyone else. Both teams looking for their first win of the season.

https://tickets.afc.co.uk/en-GB/events/aberdeen%20fc%20women%20v%20glasgow%20women/2022-10-30_13.00/pittodrie?hallmap

16 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Spot on tbh.

Maybe this will work on our tighter pitch at home and against teams with poorer wingers. We definitely need a different plan for Hampden. I hope we have learned some lessons for then.

16 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Spot on tbh.

We tried something similar v Celtic a couple of weeks ago and were also spanked.

Not sure either of our managers will be giving Guardiola sleepless nights...........