The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

10 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Killie offered the square root of f*ck all yesterday.

It was nice to see Goodwin utilising his squad yesterday and giving game time to Watkins, Ramirez, Milne and Duncan.

I'd still like to see Duncan start instead of Kennedy and give him a run of games.

The worrying aspect would be that despite Killie offering nothing they still managed to get a free header in our box for the goal. I'm pretty sure Taylor didn't even need to jump for it.

Richardson is still a problem that needs addressed.

Taylor managed to get a free header as we've taken the bold approach of putting three up whilst we're defending a corner, which left space everywhere.

I think you see loads of the game from the RDU. Not sure where you sit but Richardson is constantly making runs and not receiving the ball as we either take too long and he's now offside or we pick a different option.

That's why I've been critical of Hayes. So many of our attacks slow down because Hayes movement isn't very good.

12 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Taylor managed to get a free header as we've taken the bold approach of putting three up whilst we're defending a corner, which left space everywhere.

I think you see loads of the game from the RDU. Not sure where you sit but Richardson is constantly making runs and not receiving the ball as we either take too long and he's now offside or we pick a different option.

That's why I've been critical of Hayes. So many of our attacks slow down because Hayes movement isn't very good.

It was strange.  Taylor's goal was from the second of two corners one after the other and Watkins was in the box for the first with Miovski outside.  After we cleared the first one, Watkins ran out of the box (along with two other Dons players!) and Miovski ran in.  I suppose they were just resetting to the players that were supposed to be in there but it was weird watching it happen and hardly surprising there was a bit of panic/confusion.

There have been long periods at Pittodrie in recent decades, where if you covered 'less than 2.5 goals' at the bookies each week, you'd be quids in.

Despite my natural aversion and grumpiness at losing easy goals, there can be no denying that 4-1. 2-3. 5-0 and 4-1 suggests it's a bit more fun this season !

...........and the positive is, most of the goals conceded look avoidable (eg set pieces), rather than just being a consequence of over committing players at the other end, which certainly was the case under Glass.

The sample size isn't huge yet (10-men twice, and none of the 'bigger' clubs have visited) - but let's hope we're on the right track.

1 hour ago, resk said:

It was strange.  Taylor's goal was from the second of two corners one after the other and Watkins was in the box for the first with Miovski outside.  After we cleared the first one, Watkins ran out of the box (along with two other Dons players!) and Miovski ran in.  I suppose they were just resetting to the players that were supposed to be in there but it was weird watching it happen and hardly surprising there was a bit of panic/confusion.

I suppose it was the first game with the set up and at least we're trying something different but there's a reason pretty much every team worldwide has moved to flooding their own box 😂

30 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

There have been long periods at Pittodrie in recent decades, where if you covered 'less than 2.5 goals' at the bookies each week, you'd be quids in.

Despite my natural aversion and grumpiness at losing easy goals, there can be no denying that 4-1. 2-3. 5-0 and 4-1 suggests it's a bit more fun this season !

...........and the positive is, most of the goals conceded look avoidable (eg set pieces), rather than just being a consequence of over committing players at the other end, which certainly was the case under Glass.

The sample size isn't huge yet (10-men twice, and none of the 'bigger' clubs have visited) - but let's hope we're on the right track.

From my perspective over here it is certainly a lot more interesting and fun than last season. (Last season was "interesting" too, but more in a high blood pressure, heart attack inducing we're going to get relegated here sort of way.)

No doubt I'll be on girning when we lose to some no mark diddies i.e Hearts, but so far, so good.

3 hours ago, resk said:

Just caught up with the highlights there - the first one was actually a long throw, not a corner.  I'd only had two pints as well!  

17 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm in Section Y...I actually hate the view and constantly on at my mates every summer to find another place in the stadium nearer to the action with no success so far.

18 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Its brilliant to see us leave 3 players upfront for corners, I hope Goodwin continues this and not be put off by losing a goal from a set-piece. The previous managers it was frustrating to see everyone back for a set-piece. 

4 hours ago, tarapoa said:

I think we are on the right track as we do look good going forward but defensively we look vulnerable. I hope we can sort out our away form as the only league team we have beat away in a year is St Johnstone.

Edited by betting competition

20 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I don’t necessarily agree he was “under appreciated”

Just a pity we didn’t see him for longer. 

Just had a look at an old "Aberdeen Official All Time Greats" book. Over 60 players listed but no room for Frank therein.  But as you say he didn't have enough time at the club.

image.jpeg.cd0b5ff498c7d8de394fbc5a21a922e0.jpeg

The Crit. aka "Frank MacDougall's Sports Bar". For many years it could be found across from the station, it was last seen as a mini supermarket.