The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Didn’t see any of this weekend’s match due to being in a remote corner of Scotland with nae internet or TV.

However, whatever the circumstances of the red card I find it quite disappointing on the way home to pick up a paper and read an Aberdeen manager quoted that “it is almost impossible to cope with a very good Hibs team with ten men”.

Granted if you go a goal down that can be a valid comment - but at 1-1 at HT, a good side can get a result with a bit of organisation and resilience.

I am starting to feel this is not a good Aberdeen side, but will remain hopeful this is another circumstantial “blip”.

A lot of talk about Goodwin not good enough for the job. I think it's too early to judge with the new players still needing time to settle in. We do look a lot better than last season going forward but we look vulnerable in defence.

Don't think our squad is big enough with us short in defence and 2 injuries in centre midfielder position has left us exposed against Hibs. Think the league will be tight as last season so see how it goes

Edited by betting competition

The main difference i can see from last year is that we have some good passages of team play. 

I think we'll not be as consitently shite. We'll have good runs as well as bad. 

10 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Obviously I come at this from the position of hoping to see Aberdeen fail, but I'm very encouraged by what I'm seeing and the general gist of it is in these posts.

Aberdeen came into the season with a minor buzz from scoring a lot of goals in the League Cup and having a few new bodies in etc, spending a bit of cash. But the pattern of their results looks good from where I'm sitting.

Basically all Aberdeen's wins this season have been against absolute shite or ten men. General consensus around the St Mirren and Livi games seems to be that the red cards turned even games on their heads.

It's a bottom-six pattern of performance. Time to turn it round, of course, but I think reasons to believe a tumble down the table (already started) is coming. Similar to Aberdeen and Hibs early last season when a few breaks going their way papered over the cracks of two poor sides. Aberdeen have that look again at the moment.

Losing to Kilmarnock and Livingston is a "bottom-six pattern of performance."

I thought it was just the one of them on the match thread but it looks like the yo-yo diddies are getting ahead of themselves again. 

47 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Losing to Kilmarnock and Livingston is a "bottom-six pattern of performance."

I thought it was just the one of them on the match thread but it looks like the yo-yo diddies are getting ahead of themselves again. 

The difference, of course, is that Hearts have had several results that are not bottom-six pattern. We've had a couple of bad results, but that's just normal fitba.

We beat Ross County, we scudded United and Motherwell by three each despite playing eleven men, we got a point at Easter Road. None of that is bottom-six stuff, and we've done it with a side still some way from full-strength. You'd be a bold man to predict bottom-six for Hearts this year.

There's nothing Aberdeen have done this season that suggests they are substantially better than last season. They might be, but we've no evidence of it. so far.

Edited by VincentGuerin

8 hours ago, coprolite said:

One of your guys mentioned the word hubris on the match thread relating to them, I thought that was quite appropriate.

They have no objectivity, and apparently only they suffer key injuries..................

Their comments after being papped out by Kilmarnock in the League Cup were instructive as to the mindset - its all "irrelevant" and a "sideshow to the league" despite it being one of the only two trophies they have any chance of winning.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

One of your guys mentioned the word hubris on the match thread relating to them, I thought that was quite appropriate.

They have no objectivity, and apparently only they suffer key injuries..................

Their comments after being papped out by Kilmarnock in the League Cup were instructive as to the mindset - its all "irrelevant" and a "sideshow to the league" despite it being one of the only two trophies they have any chance of winning.

But they're in Europe...

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

It’s just the circle of life, we get one or two years of hearts doing ok and leaving the diddies in the distance before they inevitably dwindle and get relegated…again. 

Edited by Dons_1988

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Great point. All other supports on here, not least of all yourself, are famously objective. 😀

As this is the Aberdeen thread, this will be my last word - but, yes I am entirely capable of objectivity.

I mentioned on the match thread - to another Hearts fan - that I believe Shankland is a good signing and that he will score goals for you.

Objective enough, I think?

I know it's often we say this; however October is a big month primarily because we have a lot of fixtures during that month.

A poor month winning minimal points  and getting dumped out of the cup by Partick Thistle is going to be problematic for Goodwin with regards how the fans view him as an Aberdeen manager.

A poor month in league and beating Thistle won't do him much good either because the Thistle match is an expected victory.

Dundee United, Motherwell and Sevco away with Delboy's team and Hearts at home looks particularly tough but realistically both Killie and the Thistle cup match should see two wins. If he can't win these two then I struggle  to see how we can take much from the other four.

Barring a catastrophe, Goodwin will be Aberdeen manager until at least the end of the season but he needs to keep the fans engaged by winning matches and perhaps toning down his media appearances.

I just get the impression that Goodwin hasn't yet fully adjusted being at a club with slightly higher expectations and profile.

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Dundee United, Motherwell and Sevco away with Delboy's team and Hearts at home looks particularly tough but realistically both Killie and the Thistle cup match should see two wins. If he can't win these two then I struggle  to see how we can take much from the other four.

Your home game with Hearts will be Hearts' fifth game in 15 days and we'll have played in Florence on the Thursday night.

A must-win for big-spending Aberdeen.

Michael Hector still seems to be a free agent.

Is he long term injured? Seems strange at 30 he would be without a club.

If he was fit enough to play, exactly how hard would him and his agent be to deal with in terms of wage demands given his alternative seems to be doing lauren bacall for the next few months?

Fans fav and covers two problem positions - is this just too obvious a move?

16 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Michael Hector still seems to be a free agent.

Is he long term injured? Seems strange at 30 he would be without a club.

If he was fit enough to play, exactly how hard would him and his agent be to deal with in terms of wage demands given his alternative seems to be doing lauren bacall for the next few months?

Fans fav and covers two problem positions - is this just too obvious a move?

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Not sure if he'd come to us though.