The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

7 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Only seems to happen against 10 men. 

(Same argument could be made in reverse for the Hibs' result, I suppose.)

Need to take points off Hibs and Motherwell (especially at home) as they are top 6 rivals.

Update:

St Mirren 3rd, Livingston 4th. 

So are we going to play Jack Milne against Killie and the damned united? Hopefully he is going to be the the next Mckenna. Given he converted from midfield he should be good with the ball at his feet.

We need mcrorrie in midfield. Goodwin now needs to follow through on his CB gamble.

7 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

So are we going to play Jack Milne against Killie and the damned united? Hopefully he is going to be the the next Mckenna. Given he converted from midfield he should be good with the ball at his feet.

We need mcrorrie in midfield. Goodwin now needs to follow through on his CB gamble.

Pretty sure that Scales will only get a one match ban.

1 hour ago, Don exotic said:

Scales will be available to play Dundee Utd.

2 yellows = 1 game ban.  
1 straight red = 2 game ban 

1 hour ago, Don exotic said:

I’d play a 4-3-3. 

Roos

Richardson Stewart Milne Coulson   
      McCrorie Ramadani Barron   
            Duk.  Miovski.  Hayes 

Assuming Barron is fit to start, try & get 60 minutes out of him. 

McCrorie in defence would leave us really light in midfield so give Milne his chance. 
MacKenzie at left centre half is another outside shout. 

4 hours ago, Don exotic said:

The time to blood Milne was yesterday, after the sending off. Why the f**k Goodwin didn’t so astounds me and makes me question his credentials 

Edited by Afc69

8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Today's result from Fir Park makes our home defeat from Motherwell even more unacceptable.

Between that and yesterday's performance, 4 points thrown away.

4 points?

Also you can’t complain about throwing away points when you are comprehensively outplayed, as we were in both those games.

57 minutes ago, Afc69 said:

The time to blood Milne was yesterday, after the sending off. Why the f**k Goodwin didn’t so astounds me and makes me question his credentials 

I get what you're saying in terms of messing up the midfield, but he was maybe protecting a young player from a rough debut. They will be able to prepare him and Stewart this week for Killie. He should have blooded him at the end of the games  we rompted against 10 men.

16 minutes ago, big al said:

4 points?

Also you can’t complain about throwing away points when you are comprehensively outplayed, as we were in both those games.

I maybe didn't phrase it well, if we have ambitions on finishing third, we have thrown away 4 points.

If we were comprehensively outplayed at home by a side who have just been stuffed 3-0 at home it's going to be a long season. And if we were comprehensively outplayed after scoring so early and while we still had 11 men on the park by a side that are nothing special that doesn't auger well either.

Losing is one thing. Comprehensively outplayed is another.

5 hours ago, Don exotic said:

Sure I read that the three losses so far this season have seen McCrorie playing at central defence 

I’d play a 4-3-3. 

Roos
Richardson Stewart Milne Coulson   
      McCrorie Ramadani Barron   
            Duk.  Miovski.  Hayes 
Assuming Barron is fit to start, try & get 60 minutes out of him. 
McCrorie in defence would leave us really light in midfield so give Milne his chance. 
MacKenzie at left centre half is another outside shout. 

601d457b68aabf47e325189f70ee48f7.jpg

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

If he gets himself sent off in the first half against us and plays well against Celtic then you’re not hearing many complaints from us.

I doubt that will be repeated.

I think he's realised just how much better off he is this season in terms of playing in a team that shows 100% commitment to the manager.

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I doubt that will be repeated.

I think he's realised just how much better off he is this season in terms of playing in a team that shows 100% commitment to the manager.

If he’s found something that works for him then good for him. He was pish for us and then left. I’m not sure many dons fans care tbh pal. 

On 18/09/2022 at 08:13, kingjoey said:

You're right that we'll struggle to make top 6 with results like yesterday's and the Motherwell one, but using the same logic we'll stroll top 6 with results like St Mirren and Livingston. 

On 18/09/2022 at 08:16, Jacksgranda said:

Only seems to happen against 10 men. 

(Same argument could be made in reverse for the Hibs' result, I suppose.)

Need to take points off Hibs and Motherwell (especially at home) as they are top 6 rivals.

On 18/09/2022 at 10:13, Thenorthernlight said:

Hibs have already played against 10 men FOUR teams in seven matches I think it is. (9 men in one of those games). 

I don’t rate them, and let’s face it, how often have Hibs finished about Aberdeen in the last 10-12 years? 
They’ve possibly been relegated as many times in that period.

The league will be as wide open below 2nd (& just as shite from what I’ve seen) as last year. 

Aberdeen could be anywhere from 3rd to about 8th. 

Obviously I come at this from the position of hoping to see Aberdeen fail, but I'm very encouraged by what I'm seeing and the general gist of it is in these posts.

Aberdeen came into the season with a minor buzz from scoring a lot of goals in the League Cup and having a few new bodies in etc, spending a bit of cash. But the pattern of their results looks good from where I'm sitting.

Basically all Aberdeen's wins this season have been against absolute shite or ten men. General consensus around the St Mirren and Livi games seems to be that the red cards turned even games on their heads.

It's a bottom-six pattern of performance. Time to turn it round, of course, but I think reasons to believe a tumble down the table (already started) is coming. Similar to Aberdeen and Hibs early last season when a few breaks going their way papered over the cracks of two poor sides. Aberdeen have that look again at the moment.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Obviously I come at this from the position of hoping to see Aberdeen fail, but I'm very encouraged by what I'm seeing and the general gist of it is in these posts.

Aberdeen came into the season with a minor buzz from scoring a lot of goals in the League Cup and having a few new bodies in etc, spending a bit of cash. But the pattern of their results looks good from where I'm sitting.

Basically all Aberdeen's wins this season have been against absolute shite or ten men. General consensus around the St Mirren and Livi games seems to be that the red cards turned even games on their heads.

It's a bottom-six pattern of performance. Time to turn it round, of course, but I think reasons to believe a tumble down the table (already started) is coming. Similar to Aberdeen and Hibs early last season when a few breaks going their way papered over the cracks of two poor sides. Aberdeen have that look again at the moment.

You could be right, you could be wrong. The only way we're going to find out is if we get a run of games of 11 v 11, which we haven't had so far. 

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

A bit early for all this. 

By this time last season I was pretty confident we were shite. I’d say this season I have no idea if we’re good or not. That appears on the face of it to be an improvement. 

we still comfortably won away at st Johnstone and we’re 20 seconds away from a professional away win at county. 

There are alarm bells - the lack of squad balance, the fact Goodwin doesn’t seem to have a definitive style he wants to play yet. The fact any re-shuffle to our central defence means decimating our midfield. I don’t think he knows what his best attacking lineup is yet either. 

These are issues that aren’t all that surprising from a complete summer upheaval but it’s a test of Goodwin now to address them. He needs to find a way to accumulate enough points and make a semi final before January when he can address some of the recruitment failings.