The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

43 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

We got through tonight, but the performance in 90 minutes was abject.

YET again we started a game so slowly.

A few players given a chance to stake a claim for a first team spot. 
All of them failed. Morris, MacKenzie & Kennedy were all poor.

Ryan Duncan should be ahead of Shayden Morris.

Credit to them for getting the job done in the end though. 

I'm just glad it was a League 2 team we were playing tonight as for 90 minutes we were very average.

Only once Duk, Duncan, Hayes and Clarkson were on did we ever look really threatening.

A long night and looking like being nearly 3am before getting back to Aberdeen.....

Think the most annoying thing about this team so far is I really don’t know how good they are. We’ve seen some brilliance and we’ve seen some total incompetence.

You can’t know if the brilliance has been because of level of opposition/down to 10 men or if the incompetence has been an off day or just a new team gelling together. 

I think all we can really do is wait and see how it develops over a longer period. 

I find it hard to blame the wide players last night tbh. The pitch was tiny and we took too long to get the ball out wide. By the time the ball was there, the box was loaded and there was nobody to give the ball to. Second half the instruction was clearly there to get it wide and play it in quick.

In hindsight, did we need Ramadani and McCrorie? Maybe Clarkson needed a wee rest but McCrorie takes that extra touch that Clarkson doesn't need. 

I don't think last seasons team pulls through when the going gets tough last night.

Steve Cowan screaming for Watkins to come on last night. It's day until the window shuts and he's injury prone. Use your brain.

58 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Steve Cowan screaming for Watkins to come on last night. It's day until the window shuts and he's injury prone. Use your brain.

I wasn’t watching the game, but that doesn’t seem the most brainless suggestion to me.

We we’re struggling and the immediate priority was simply to win the tie. If Watkins coming on was an option then you can rest assured Goodwin would’ve been slaughtered if we’d lost and there was a perception that he didn’t want to risk an injury. 

I really think we need to keep Watkins - he’s a different option to the others and unless like for like is brought in, it would seem better if he remained part of things.

Goodwin got first hand evidence from the away dugout last December of what a fit Watkins brings to the party.

Maybe the astro was an issue considering his legs are made from shite and sawdust though, but he’s not been seen on the park since the diddy group matches.

15 minutes ago, A96 said:

I wasn’t watching the game, but that doesn’t seem the most brainless suggestion to me.

We we’re struggling and the immediate priority was simply to win the tie. If Watkins coming on was an option then you can rest assured Goodwin would’ve been slaughtered if we’d lost and there was a perception that he didn’t want to risk an injury. 

Duk is the future. 

7 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I really think we need to keep Watkins - he’s a different option to the others and unless like for like is brought in, it would seem better if he remained part of things.

Goodwin got first hand evidence from the away dugout last December of what a fit Watkins brings to the party.

Maybe the astro was an issue considering his legs are made from shite and sawdust though, but he’s not been seen on the park since the diddy group matches.

Watkins is desperate to get away, apparently.

From what I was told, his other half isn't up here and she's expecting their first child.

I find it hard to blame the wide players last night tbh. The pitch was tiny and we took too long to get the ball out wide. By the time the ball was there, the box was loaded and there was nobody to give the ball to. Second half the instruction was clearly there to get it wide and play it in quick.
In hindsight, did we need Ramadani and McCrorie? Maybe Clarkson needed a wee rest but McCrorie takes that extra touch that Clarkson doesn't need. 
I don't think last seasons team pulls through when the going gets tough last night.

A big problem was the lack of support from the full-backs. MacKenzie doesn’t offer much going forward and Richardson is pretty ineffective if he doesn’t have space to run into.

Ramadani and McCrorie in there does seem like overkill but I think Clarkson struggled as part of a two against Motherwell so that might have influenced things. Thought McCrorie was decent going forward last night.

3 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

While it was a tough watch, sometimes you get games like that in the cup

We’re in the next round, hopefully get a home tie and an improvement in performance on Saturday 

I'm hoping we get one of the Gruesome Twosome at the home of football.

Although it doesn't happen all the time as it did in the past, we can't hope that they get drawn against each other. I don't fancy a Hampden semi against either so we might as well try our luck against them at home.

So ideally, the Gruesomes get drawn at Pittodrie and Tynecastle.

But it's unlikely to happen. We'll probably have to visit Fir Park or Tynecastle.

34 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I'm hoping we get one of the Gruesome Twosome at the home of football.

Although it doesn't happen all the time as it did in the past, we can't hope that they get drawn against each other. I don't fancy a Hampden semi against either so we might as well try our luck against them at home.

So ideally, the Gruesomes get drawn at Pittodrie and Tynecastle.

But it's unlikely to happen. We'll probably have to visit Fir Park or Tynecastle.

I'm hoping the fat racist's team deal with Celtic tonight. Ideally with penalties after a physically bruising, ill disciplined performance that severely hampers them for the weekend. 

I reckon we have more chance of a one off result against blue cheek, especially at Pittodrie. If we do have to beat them, at home is our best shot. 

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Haven't heard the rumours about Watkins wanting away, but aside from that, Jim Goodwin has always had him on the bench so he maybe does want to keep Watkins. although I don't think he's come on since the League Cup group stages. Who knows.

17 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I've told this before but my pal walked past the chocolate aisle in Tesco on the Lang Stracht.

Greg Stewart was stood there with his hands on top of his head, blowing his cheeks.

This was the preseason he first arrived 🤣

Greg Fatty Bum Bum

Goodwin hinting at no more inconings and a couple of outgoings. Still lacking a bit of creativity for me and somebody who can cover RB and CB. 

If Bates stays then we need to get him integrated back into the squad as he'll be needed when we play Celtic. McCrorie shouldn't be dropped back. 

Done a lot of good business this window but we still need a couple of additions. If Ramirez is one that's leaving then we are still a bit short of options up front. Back to same scenario last season when we relied to heavily on Ramirez and doing the same with Miovski this season. 

10 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Goodwin hinting at no more inconings and a couple of outgoings. Still lacking a bit of creativity for me and somebody who can cover RB and CB. 

If Bates stays then we need to get him integrated back into the squad as he'll be needed when we play Celtic. McCrorie shouldn't be dropped back. 

Done a lot of good business this window but we still need a couple of additions. If Ramirez is one that's leaving then we are still a bit short of options up front. Back to same scenario last season when we relied to heavily on Ramirez and doing the same with Miovski this season. 

I still think we'll pick up one player.

The issue with picking up another midfielder is that Barron is still to come back.