The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, big al said:

Said after last weeks 4-1 victory that the 3 of Kennedy, Besiujin and Hayes aren’t good enough. Playing 10 men and then part timers was hiding the reality. 
When things aren’t going well, the work rate of Hayes will always stand out but the attacking abilities of those 3 aren’t of the level required.

This.

We absolutely need a proper “no10” that can play in between the midfield & striker.

We won’t get this, but ideal world I’d offload Bates, Watkins, McLennan.  
Loan out Duncan & Polvara.

Bring in a right back, a left sided centre back, a central midfielder & the no10 I mentioned.

Only so much you can do in one window, but we’re still a few short & one or two of the new recruits look suspect so far 

1 hour ago, big al said:

Said after last weeks 4-1 victory that the 3 of Kennedy, Besiujin and Hayes aren’t good enough. Playing 10 men and then part timers was hiding the reality. 
When things aren’t going well, the work rate of Hayes will always stand out but the attacking abilities of those 3 aren’t of the level required.

If the Mcinnes era taught us anything it is that you can do well in this league as long as you have a solid defence. Fix the problems there first. Scoring 2 at home to Motherwell and losing is a bigger issue in where we will finish than these players attacking flair.

59 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

If the Mcinnes era taught us anything it is that you can do well in this league as long as you have a solid defence. Fix the problems there first. Scoring 2 at home to Motherwell and losing is a bigger issue in where we will finish than these players attacking flair.

I thought consensus was that defending, points and getting into Europe by doing well in this league were boring. 

On 14/08/2022 at 09:56, Dons_1988 said:

Btw did anyone else get a bad feeling about 10 seconds in yesterday when ramadani tried a simple pass to scales and launched it about 5 yards behind him and out for a throw 🤣

Absolutely.

6 hours ago, Don exotic said:

For sure have to get the basics right of decent defending, but there are 4 defenders and 2 deeper midfielders to take care of that. The front 4s job is too create and score and those players don’t create enough. 

Seems too early to revert to three at the back. Goodwin has always said there is a preferred way he wants to play and I'd be surprised if he changed it. 

I'm the most impatient person on here but the turnover of players was always going to produce a slow start to the season. Just have to accept that. 

Still got a chance of taking 10+ points from our opening 6 games though. 

It’s definitely not the time to shit the bed and go to a back 3. 

We should be playing as settled a back 4 as we possibly can unless we think any of its constituent parts are fundamentally shite, which I don’t think it is (although Richardson may be a liability defensively). 

Id prefer we just used scales as a centre half alongside Stewart though and let that partnership develop. Which is how Goodwin approached the league cup so not sure what changed. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s definitely not the time to shit the bed and go to a back 3. 

We should be playing as settled a back 4 as we possibly can unless we think any of its constituent parts are fundamentally shite, which I don’t think it is (although Richardson may be a liability defensively). 

I actually think Richardson and Coulson look more suited to being wing-backs rather than full-backs.

Also MacKenzie possibly looks like he's more suited to left CB in a three, rather than LB.

It may transpire that the players we have ended up with are more suited to this formation.  I thought similar last season too, and remember we played it for a couple of games and did well (with Brown at the back) - and then binned it for some reason and went back to losing most weeks. 

Edited by tarapoa

6 weeks before he's back running. Then Goodwin says he's got a "mini pre-season" to do with the fitness coaches before he'll be considered. I'd imagine end of October before we see him. 

All gone quiet on this contract extension of his - if anything you would think a long term injury would make him more likely to want to get this sorted.

Still can’t help feeling there could be a deal to be done with the green cheek involving Scales.

8 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

All gone quiet on this contract extension of his - if anything you would think a long term injury would make him more likely to want to get this sorted.

Still can’t help feeling there could be a deal to be done with the green cheek involving Scales.

Quite possible. Wouldn't pretend to be ITK in any way. A move to Celtic at this stage of his career does f**k all for him bar boost his bank balance. He isn't getting into their midfield any time soon. And are they not also trying to sign a midfielder from Hadjuk?

8 hours ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Quite possible. Wouldn't pretend to be ITK in any way. A move to Celtic at this stage of his career does f**k all for him bar boost his bank balance. He isn't getting into their midfield any time soon. And are they not also trying to sign a midfielder from Hadjuk?

Spot on, he wouldn’t play. Cash over rules everything sometimes though.