The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

24 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Btw did anyone else get a bad feeling about 10 seconds in yesterday when ramadani tried a simple pass to scales and launched it about 5 yards behind him and out for a throw 🤣

My bad feeling was pre-match when Goodwin said on the radio that he was a ‘very lucky Manager’ for the budget he had been given by the board 

44 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Btw did anyone else get a bad feeling about 10 seconds in yesterday when ramadani tried a simple pass to scales and launched it about 5 yards behind him and out for a throw 🤣

No but the proceeding 5-10 minutes of passing it along the back with no penetration or help from midfield did. We were very slack and sluggish and extremely lucky to be going in at halftime level. I'm Including Miovski's miss in that assessment as well.

We're also going to lose A LOT of goals from set pieces this season with our relatively short defence. Best laugh of the day was Roos coming up for the corner last minute. The guy is feart of coming for the ball with his hands nevermind his heid. Him then casually jogging back almost expecting Motherwell to score on the break made me angry though. Richardson was also guilty of not busting a gut to get back and help defensively on multiple occasions.

Btw did anyone else get a bad feeling about 10 seconds in yesterday when ramadani tried a simple pass to scales and launched it about 5 yards behind him and out for a throw [emoji1787]

I had a bad feeling for a couple of reasons….

(i) It’s Motherwell
(ii) There’s been an air of optimism and what felt like over-confidence. That always make me feel wary.

This was possibly the first true 90 minute test of this squad and it was a miserable failure. We got away with a 2-3 scoreline in what was a complete caning if we’re being honest.

The last half hour was primary school stuff - lots of forwards thrown on to the pItch - raw pace in abundance, but what good is that against a robust deep-lying defence. Maybe the guile of Watkins might have been a better shout, but at that point, the minimal protection the defence had been receiving was non-existent.

Had concerns about the size in the core of our defence since the start - a lot of goals in this league come from basic set pieces, and we will clearly be seen as having a weakness there.

Stewart is decent enough as a play the way you’re facing centre half - but we’re asking him to do things out of his comfort zone - and the opponents have already sussed out that him having the ball is good for them.

Another centre-half and right-back required at the minimum - although maybe the fact that this is still a team of strangers doesn’t help matters either.

Roos has done fine, I think. He was one of our better players against Celtic, not much to do against St Mirren, and I wouldn't be placing much culpability on him for yesterday - couple of good saves to keep the score at 3-2 and wasn't really at fault for any of the goals. I thought at the game that there might have been question marks over him at the equaliser, but I have changed my mind after watching it back. 

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Except that’s not evidence, it’s opinion. Other than goodwins record to date which is there for all to see. 

My opinion on Roos is similar to you, I think Stewart is a good defender at this level with weaknesses. You seem to think weaknesses = evidence of being rubbish. If his distribution gets us into trouble (it might) then we may need to amend the way he plays. Albeit some of his distribution can actually be very good, he’s just capable of a howler.  

Ramadani was really poor yesterday but he’s generally been excellent so far (yes, opposition, context) so there’s no “evidence” that he’s not up to standard. 

You can question playing scales at left back but you can at least see the logic, Mackenzie isn’t fit and not many want to see Hayes play there. 

My bigger concern is hayes/Kennedy starting every week, that needs phased out once the new boys get up to speed and integrated. 

Aye. With his athleticism declining, you can see how limited Jonny is. He takes up so many poor spaces that his pace would have got him.out of before.

At least he gave 100% yesterday. There is no way Kennedy was injured. He was having a shocker and he knew it.

1 hour ago, starryfish said:

I’m wondering if we try McCrorie, Stewart and Scales as a back three, an extra defender might help stem the tide a bit.

And that can enable a 2nd striker.

Lewis or Roos 

McCrorie Stewart Scales

Richardson Ramadani Clarkson Coulson

Besuijen 

Ramirez   Miovski

2 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Lewis or Roos 

McCrorie Stewart Scales

Besuijen 

Ramirez   Miovski

I’d currently be playing Hayes ahead of Besuijen 

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Lewis or Roos 

McCrorie Stewart Scales

Besuijen 

Ramirez   Miovski

Besuijen needs to be played wide or not at all. He is not a no 10.

3 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Besuijen needs to be played wide or not at all. He is not a no 10.

I think he might be a number 10 rather than a wide player.  He doesn't have the pace to start deep (as in the last 20 mins after Lopes was introduced yesterday and we went 4-4-2)

Yesterday was messy, but we don't need to overreact. We need to have a line up for more "physical" games and Goodwin will have seen that. I think Stewart and Scales need a run of games as the CB pairing, which will help give stability. Mccrorrie and Ramadani should start in the middle and then we adjust from there.

19 hours ago, Don exotic said:

Yesterday was messy, but we don't need to overreact. We need to have a line up for more "physical" games and Goodwin will have seen that. I think Stewart and Scales need a run of games as the CB pairing, which will help give stability. Mccrorrie and Ramadani should start in the middle and then we adjust from there.

If I look for positives after my negative Sunday then:

We seem now to have a much improved attacking threat to last season.

The defence could be tightened up with a more disciplined defensive line on the right hand side. I'm not sure Richardson has given any indication yet that he has a defensive-minded attitude, he maybe needs to played further up the park or rested so his game can be worked on with another option at right full-back (although I can't think of any other options in that position).

We should be helped next week defensively down the left side with the return of Coulson.

Hopefully Goodwin has now learned that McCrorie at centre-half should only be an emergency option.

And hopefully Goodwin will now also concentrate on a 4-3-3 formation. We require a slightly more conservative approach without neutralising or suffocating our attacking threat

I know we've signed wingers, but one's a young prospect and the other is an inexperienced and unproven punt out of non-league. 

Both Hayes and Kennedy can do a job but not consistently at premier level. I think at least one first choice wide player is essential. 

Back up CB to keep McCrorie in midfield also essential. 

Yet to be convinced by any new signings except Bojan,  who has started appearing in my erotic dreams. 

Said after last weeks 4-1 victory that the 3 of Kennedy, Besiujin and Hayes aren’t good enough. Playing 10 men and then part timers was hiding the reality. 
When things aren’t going well, the work rate of Hayes will always stand out but the attacking abilities of those 3 aren’t of the level required.