The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

Apparently Rogic is still without a club and won't be going to Nicosia. Won't post the link so as to prevent the Daily Ranger getting further hits.

If the Dons haven't at least enquired about him they're doing it wrong.

I expect Rogic wages will be too high and also 29 now so not a sellable asset. Our midfield has looked excellent this season.

7 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I expect Rogic wages will be too high and also 29 now so not a sellable asset. Our midfield has looked excellent this season.

I agree on all three points, but frankly Rogic is a step above everyone in our team. Apart from potentially Clarkson, who we'll have to give a few games to before we can make that judgement call.

Also, he might not be a saleable asset, but he could potentially be the difference between guaranteed European group football next season or not. That in itself would pay for his contract.

Edited by Illgresi

I agree on all three points, but frankly Rogic is a step above everyone in our team. Apart from potentially Clarkson, who we'll have to give a few games to before we can make that judgement call.
Also, he might not be a saleable asset, but he could potentially be the difference between guaranteed European group football next season or not. That in itself would pay for his contract.

He’d be looking for about £20k p/w though

Two of the Ujpesti Dosza team (Kardos & Toth) that played against us in the memorable 1984 ECWC quarter-final have died in the last 15 days.

You might remember them better from the 1986 & 1978 Panini World Cup sticker albums.

EDIT: Actually Toth played in 1982 too and there was possibly nobody on here that collected the 1978 edition so replaced Toth with the 1982 sticker

The Dons contrived to miss a host of sitters in the 1st leg. I listened to the match on a transistor radio with my pal on the mean streets of Overhill Gardens, Bridge of Don after school. I think the match kicked off around 4pm GMT.

Kardos.jpg

Toth82.jpg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

That's sad to read - I do recall seeing some YouTube going through all the old Panini WC albums and informing you which players had passed away.  It was strangely interesting, and some of the names well remembered - especially when watched with no previous knowledge that they'd gone.

On another note - the Ujpesti away game is almost comical, we must have missed four open goals - with the one from Dingus defying belief. It all came good in the end though in that tie.

Edited by tarapoa

6 hours ago, tarapoa said:

That's sad to read - I do recall seeing some YouTube going through all the old Panini WC albums and informing you which players had passed away.  It was strangely interesting, and some of the names well remembered - especially when watched with no previous knowledge that they'd gone.

On another note - the Ujpesti away game is almost comical, we must have missed four open goals - with the one from Dingus defying belief. It all came good in the end though in that tie.

I've watched those morbid Panini stickers album YouTube vids that identifies the players that have passed away too.

Strangely compelling too I thought but I might've been watching during lockdown. I think it has solemn music playing in the background as it goes through each team,  and first shows the double spread, then zones in on three players in the row, before finally identifying the one who has shuffled off this mortal coil.

Although I am someone that regularly browses the Wikipedia Recent Deaths page so I'm probably morbidly inclined...😂 Indeed, that is how I discovered the Ujpest deaths. I saw Toth added to the list when I browsed today and remembered that I had recently seen Kardos.

With regards the match commentary when I listened to the first leg in 1984, does anyone remember listening to European Northsound in the 1980s? I'm sure the commentator would've been Ken McRobb but I can't remember if there was someone before him? Did Richard Gordon or Derek Rae commentate on European Northsound in the 1980s?

Or was it called European Sportsound on Northsound? 🤔

Edited by Bogbrush1903

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Goodwin won't get away with many of these. 

Yet to be convinced Stewart is any better than Ash Taylor.

Kennedy needs chucked.

Ash Taylor is a far better defender, only thing Stewart is better at is reading the game.

Wonder if Goodwin's "you're free to go" chats had some unexpected consequences.

3 minutes ago, HunterAFC said:

Ash Taylor is a far better defender, only thing Stewart is better at is reading the game.

Wonder if Goodwin's "you're free to go" chats had some unexpected consequences.

Wouldn't think so.

Just a very poor performance. It happens. The manner of the goals were worrying. First one Richardson slipped. Can't account for that. The defending for the others was terrible.

Stewart takes an absolute age on the ball. So many decent passing options disappear when he's in possession. Teams have this sussed already.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Goodwin won't get away with many of these. 

Yet to be convinced Stewart is any better than Ash Taylor.

Kennedy needs chucked.

Too many fans were duped by Kennedy’s performances against the cannon fodder of the League Cup.

It takes a special player to injure his hamstring booting a free kick into the top tier of the RDS.

He’s not good enough. 

Early days but I’m questioning some of the recruitment & fees paid.

Duk looks a bit of a headless chicken (is he Austin Samuels?). 
Richardson doesn’t look like a £300k full back. 

1 hour ago, Jim Main said:

Aye Stewart takes a fucking age to do anything. But there was a lethargy and lack of clarity with all our passing today. 
I hope that was just a bad day..

Ramadani had an absolute nightmare today with his passing. 
He was in good company though. 
We made a shite Motherwell team look semi-competent, which is some achievement 

Aye Stewart was far too casual when the ball was at or near his feet today. He was lucky Motherwell didn’t punish us on several occasions.

An almost entirely new squad was never going to gel or click immediately. But the first goal aside, there was very little cohesion or structure to anything we tried today on the few occasions we had stable possession of the ball. We were completely outfought, outthought, and outplayed in every area of the pitch. Bit of a worry even this early on.

A home defeat always has potential to snowball if you have a tricky away tie up next. A trip to St Johnstone is pretty decent for Goodwin.

I don't doubt Jim Goodwin is genuine and managing in the way he would like to be managed (i.e direct) but it can come across as ruthless and doesn't leave huge room if he goes through a bit of a rough spot as he has changed things very quickly to suit his vision.

I didn’t get over excited with st Mirren and I’m not getting over excited about today. Nothing short of a disgraceful performance though. The defending gave me some PTSD from last season tbh. 

I like Goodwin but he’s not got many performances like that in the bank. 

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I like Goodwin but he’s not got many performances like that in the bank. 

Yup

Dare I say he needs to win his next 4 games before the Sevco game 

Soundbites are great but there isn’t a lot of credit in the bank and the knives will be out if we get a few more performances/results like that today 

He also needs a good early cup run to keep the wolves away from the door