The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

20 minutes ago, MikeAFC94 said:

Agree with that, but would have preferred a bit more balance between punt and established. Especially if we're going to be shelling out large transfer fees.

What constitutes 'established'?

55 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

What constitutes 'established'?

Dundee United and Hearts, I would say, have signed established players. Ones that have played at this level or higher, known quantities. 

I understand the model is to sign unfancied players and develop them, but the stakes are high.

20 minutes ago, MikeAFC94 said:

Dundee United and Hearts, I would say, have signed established players. Ones that have played at this level or higher, known quantities. 

I understand the model is to sign unfancied players and develop them, but the stakes are high.

Sign unfancied players is possibly a slightly flippant way to describe it. 

Any signing is a gamble, I get that as fans we don’t know any of these guys but to the club they’re not total stabs in the dark. The idea is that the infrastructure we’ve put in place means we’re signing as much of a known quantity as we can without actually dropping them into a premiership game for Aberdeen. 

Some of these guys will flop as is the way with any window and in particular a window where you sign so many. It’s the first serious test of cormacks new vision and I think it’s quite exciting tbh. Doesn’t mean it can’t all go horribly wrong. 

Jack Ross has been very McInnesy in the type of players signed.
Fletcher, McGrath, Sibbald, Middleton will be regarded as safe SPFL signings - better players at smaller clubs in our league (some who have struggled to cut it elsewhere) - or returning veterans from down south for a final pay day.  
Hearts signing Shankland just feels lazy.  The guy's only good seasons were in the second tier with Ayr and Dundee United.  He's not done it in the top flight either with us, United or the Belgian club.
The club have gone down a different route - the next fives games will begin to give us a better picture if it was the right move to cast the net a bit wider.  Edited by tarapoa

30 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

McKenna & Cosgrove sales covered COVID.

We also had an insurance pay out.

Had a look at the accounts not so sure, can any accountants confirm? If you are correct then they lost about 2.2m and the year before nearly 3m. Insurance payout was only till the end of the season so it won't be much. 

https://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net/aberdeen/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/19235219/Annual-Report-2021.pdf

Edited by betting competition

5 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Jack Ross has been very McInnesy in the type of players signed.

Fletcher, McGrath, Sibbald, Middleton will be regarded as safe SPFL signings - better players at smaller clubs in our league (some who have struggled to cut it elsewhere) - or returning veterans from down south for a final pay day.  

Hearts signing Shankland just feels lazy.  The guy's only good seasons were in the second tier with Ayr and Dundee United.  He's not done really it in the top flight either with us, United or the Belgian club.

The club have gone down a different route - the next fives games will begin to give us a better picture if it was the right move to cast the net a bit wider. 

McGrath is the only one I'd touch from the Utd signings.

7 hours ago, betting competition said:

Had a look at the accounts not so sure, can any accountants confirm? If you are correct then they lost about 2.2m and the year before nearly 3m. Insurance payout was only till the end of the season so it won't be much. 

https://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net/aberdeen/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/19235219/Annual-Report-2021.pdf

There were losses of about £2.2m after the transfer fees received, but before insurance that'll go through the 21/22 accounts that fills that hole. Dave (and possibly other shareholders) covered the £3.something loss  in the previous year by buying shares shares (October /November 2020 in the accounts- presumably cash was covered in the year with soft loans that got partly repaid with ST cash) which pretty much means they know they won't see that again.

We do, however have £75m to find for our sexy new stadium so i doubt all fees will go into the playing budget. 

(not an accountant by the way) 

16 hours ago, MikeAFC94 said:

I thought the new model was to try and play a team exclusively of wingers, rather than the previous policy of only central midfielders?