The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

On 28/07/2022 at 13:30, Tattie36 said:

There’s also more chance of me getting a ride from Salma Hayek then Ricky Little or Tam O’Brien getting dropped.

I'm concerned that I had never heard of Salma Hayek. I suppose it's being a bit out of touch with modern mainstream culture but she's nine years older than me according to Wikipedia!!

What did she become famous for? Is it just her beauty or did one of her roles make her common knowledge?

In fact, out of Hayek, O'Brien and Little, it's only the latter that I'm familiar with...

6 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I'm concerned that I had never heard of Salma Hayek. I suppose it's being a bit out of touch with modern mainstream culture but she's nine years older than me according to Wikipedia!!

What did she become famous for? Is it just her beauty or did one of her roles make her common knowledge?

In fact, out of Hayek, O'Brien and Little, it's only the latter that I'm familiar with...

bddd11cedfd34de01e3b4e62ecbad9cf3e40aae9_hq.gif.e5cd4fecc87dff2a6ea2788c7bb14975.gif

You're welcome 

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

bddd11cedfd34de01e3b4e62ecbad9cf3e40aae9_hq.gif.e5cd4fecc87dff2a6ea2788c7bb14975.gif

You're welcome 

Certainly an attractive chassis on her although presumably that was a few years.

I once took a bus trip up through Mexico and can testify to the attractiveness of many of their female population.

Was From Dusk till Dawn a film or is it what we're supposed to be thinking sexually as we view her scantily clad bouncy walk?

Odd timing for Aberdeen to release the interview with Graham Hunter and Steven Gunn just before the Celtic game. Interesting listen nonetheless, but the proof will be in the pudding as to as whether their new foreign legion will ultimately assessed as good recruitment.

4 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Certainly an attractive chassis on her although presumably that was a few years.

I once took a bus trip up through Mexico and can testify to the attractiveness of many of their female population.

Was From Dusk till Dawn a film or is it what we're supposed to be thinking sexually as we view her scantily clad bouncy walk?

It's a classic movie min.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Odd timing for Aberdeen to release the interview with Graham Hunter and Steven Gunn just before the Celtic game. Interesting listen nonetheless, but the proof will be in the pudding as to as whether their new foreign legion will ultimately assessed as good recruitment.

You could say that about any transfer window.

With the caveat that we had 6 league debutants in the starting 11 and were missing Scales, that wasn't the worst.

Spoiler

Ramadani got overrun, but by the time Ibrox rolls around expect him to be up to speed with the league and having McCrorie or Barron will help. Richardson is clearly a weak link but there aren't that many teams who have the luxury of being able to double up/focus on one full back. Miovski I think had the beating of the Celtic centre half's but was isolated. Besjouin and Kennedy had moments but pretty much choked out of it. Polvara is clearly raw at this level, when the game was in front of him he made a couple of good interceptions, but could have done better at both goals. Coulson didn't look like he was on his debut so that bodes well. Stewart feels a bit like Anderson in how well he reads the game/positions himself, interesting to see how he gets on against the more burley forwards. Roos was fine, much better footballer than Lewis but seen nothing to indicate he's better overall.

As things stand we should be top 6 without much bother, if we win the next 3 we should qualify for Europe this season (potentially as 5th finishers mind)

On bus heading back to Aberdeen. When the first goal went in I was fearing a cricket score but thought we did okay without really threatening

Celtic will dish out a few hammerings to teams at Celtic Park this season. Their movement is particularly impressive.

Our season starts properly in the next fortnight when St Mirren and Motherwell visit Pittodrie. We need to be picking up 6 points in these 2 games.

My take on the new signings after our first real test. 

Roos- looked decent stopping shots. Not very commanding. Some shite kicking. 

Richardson - i feared the worst but he looked better than expected. Raw and inexperienced, could have closed down crosses better. Can support attacks better with a bit more mutual understanding. 

Stewart - maybe suspect for first goal but generally solid. Erratic distribution but prefers a pass to a hoof. 

Coulson - one good run. Position a bit suspect at times. Doesn't look particularly solid but looks pacey and niggly. 

Ramadani - shocking first half hour good next 15, in and out of second half. To be convinced. 

Miovski- Limited sample, looks ok at holding up but had to drop too deep to see the ball. 

Duk- handful but ineffective 

Roberts- didn't notice him do anything. 

I'm sure i've missed someone. 

19 minutes ago, coprolite said:

My take on the new signings after our first real test. 

Roos- looked decent stopping shots. Not very commanding. Some shite kicking. 

Richardson - i feared the worst but he looked better than expected. Raw and inexperienced, could have closed down crosses better. Can support attacks better with a bit more mutual understanding. 

Stewart - maybe suspect for first goal but generally solid. Erratic distribution but prefers a pass to a hoof. 

Coulson - one good run. Position a bit suspect at times. Doesn't look particularly solid but looks pacey and niggly. 

Ramadani - shocking first half hour good next 15, in and out of second half. To be convinced. 

Miovski- Limited sample, looks ok at holding up but had to drop too deep to see the ball. 

Duk- handful but ineffective 

Roberts- didn't notice him do anything. 

I'm sure i've missed someone. 

Richardson had a few 1 v 1 situations where Kennedy just didn't have the vision to play the ball. Instead turning inside and going safe. 

Would be interesting to see what Richardson could have done if played in behind. Won't get space like that against most teams.

Think the full-backs were always going to be a concern.

Maybe due to the number of overlaps, and questionable help from Kennedy, but Richardson was very passive defensively in the first half - making little attempt to pressurise his opponent or stop crosses come in.  Thought he improved second half, and most certainly can be an attacking weapon.  Would still like to see an alternative that can defend better brought in there though - as right now, that is probably (yet again) McCrorie.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Coulson - suffered with the jittery start that the whole team had, and was maybe offered a bit more protection on his side - but given it was the proverabial 'baptism of fire', there was enough there to offer encouragement.

Celtic's subs were more effective than ours - nothing stuck to Duk. 

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Richardson had a few 1 v 1 situations where Kennedy just didn't have the vision to play the ball. Instead turning inside and going safe. 

Would be interesting to see what Richardson could have done if played in behind. Won't get space like that against most teams.

1 of kennedys problems is that he has always played with his head down. The way some were drooling over his displays against part timers from L2 dismayed me. Most of the time he’s just not good enough. 

I only watched the last five minutes of the first-half and the whole second-half but I was pleasantly surprised by both Richardson and Coulson.

Roberts we saw very little of but there was one moment when he played in Richardson or Hayes on the right hand side.

Although, it was almost impossible to make any judgement on the forward players given their lack of service due to our approach to the game. Duk definitely needs to lose a few pounds though.

Stewart was good at defending on most occasions aside from when he was clumsy and tripped over his own teammate and into their attacking player which could've been penalised.

However, Stewart needs to be careful with those low central passes to feet from defence to midfield. I fear we're going to get caught because players are going to come savvy to that soon enough.

3 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

However, Stewart needs to be careful with those low central passes to feet from defence to midfield. I fear we're going to get caught because players are going to come savvy to that soon enough.

From the others matches I would expect Scales to be the player more commonly playing out from the back. He looks more comfortable judging when to make these passes and at least its less predictable than always looking for the wings.

I thought the Duk sub was bizarre tbh. He's looked raw as f**k in the few game minutes that we had seen previously. Especially strange with Ramirez on the bench who probably would have been a like for like swap for Miovski. But if he was specifically doing it to add Speed alone the surely he would have been just as well going for Watkins who's hold up play is also pretty good.
Getting the feeling that he might want/ expect both of those players to be out the door, despite what he says publicly.

14 hours ago, TheDon99 said:

I thought the Duk sub was bizarre tbh. He's looked raw as f**k in the few game minutes that we had seen previously. Especially strange with Ramirez on the bench who probably would have been a like for like swap for Miovski. But if he was specifically doing it to add Speed alone the surely he would have been just as well going for Watkins who's hold up play is also pretty good.
Getting the feeling that he might want/ expect both of those players to be out the door, despite what he says publicly.

Presumably Duk is meant to give that pace and strength that a tiring defence hate to see.  Unfortunately on this occasion he just looked clumsy and was snuffed out easily, but will judge him on a bigger sample size than we've seen to date.

He maybe thought that was a better option than a penalty box striker like Ramirez.

I really hope we keep Watkins, as he's still got that x factor in what he can produce in terms of skill and close control.