The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Whats he like? we have announced him as a left sided centre back.

Struggled a bit in the first game at Peterhead.

Goodwin stuck with him though and it's fair to say we like what we saw in the other three matches. Definitely the right thing to loan him out to play regular football at a good level under the tutelage of Dick C though.

3 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Whats he like? we have announced him as a left sided centre back.

Seen him play centre half few times under Barry Robson ,he  was left sided centre half last year when use played us at Pittodrie .. 

I’ve been impressed with him in these cup games . Hes played  really well on the left and even as a right back. up at Buckie we’re he had great game.   Like Tarapo says def right move..Look forward see how he does . .

Looks like a good acquisition for us. Don’t think he’ll get a huge amount of game time though. We have a very settled back 4 (the most effective in the championship last season) so cover for injury/suspension mostly I would imagine - we definitely need cover at the back though so he will play a part.

Can he play midfield as he may get more appearances there?

2 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Looks like a good acquisition for us. Don’t think he’ll get a huge amount of game time though. We have a very settled back 4 (the most effective in the championship last season) so cover for injury/suspension mostly I would imagine - we definitely need cover at the back though so he will play a part.

Would be amazed if he's coming in as cover tbh.

52 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Sneaky feeling he may go with Hayes 

Nah. If he wants to play 4-3-3, with Barron injured & McCrorie presumably at centre half, Hayes will be in the midfield 3?

Roos

Richardson Stewart McCrorie Coulson. 
                           Ramadani.  
                   Polvara.           Hayes     
          Kennedy.  Miovski.   Besuijen 

That’s a weak midfield. 

It tells me we’re a central defender & central midfielder short in the squad 

38 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Would be amazed if he's coming in as cover tbh.

On the contrary, I would be amazed if he hasn’t been brought in as cover. That’s not to say that he won’t  play his way into a starting place if and when he gets his opportunity.

It’s incredibly difficult to usurp an incumbent if their doing a good job, especially a 19 year old with a handful of first team games under his belt. Our current back four have been playing together for 4 or 5 seasons now and only conceded 28 goals in 36 games last season. Out of the 4, our left back Colin Hamilton is admittedly, probably the very slight weak link, however last season was probably his best for us and he’s a huge favourite of the management. We have cover for right back and Hamilton can move inside and play centre half if needed so that may be another avenue for  Hancock to get game time at LB.

There’s also more chance of me getting a ride from Salma Hayek then Ricky Little or Tam O’Brien getting dropped.

We had a very promising, highly rated, young left back/centre half playing for us last season in Liam Henderson but he barely got a sniff at the back and played a lot of the games he did play out of position on the left of midfield. You won’t be surprised to learn that he left close season to drop a league to Falkirk where I imagine he’ll play every week.

ETA I think Colin Hamilton may have a couple of games suspension coming up so there’s an early opportunity for Hancock to show what he can do.

Edited by Tattie36

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

On the contrary, I would be amazed if he hasn’t been brought in as cover. That’s not to say that he won’t  play his way into a starting place if and when he gets his opportunity.

It’s incredibly difficult to usurp an incumbent if their doing a good job, especially a 19 year old with a handful of first team games under his belt. Our current back four have been playing together for 4 or 5 seasons now and only conceded 28 goals in 36 games last season. Out of the 4, our left back Colin Hamilton is admittedly, probably the very slight weak link, however last season was probably his best for us and he’s a huge favourite of the management. We have cover for right back and Hamilton can move inside and play centre half if needed so that may be another avenue for  Hancock to get game time at LB.

There’s also more chance of me getting a ride from Salma Hayek then Ricky Little or Tam O’Brien getting dropped.

We had a very promising, highly rated, young left back/centre half playing for us last season in Liam Henderson but he barely got a sniff at the back and played a lot of the games he did play out of position on the left of midfield. You won’t be surprised to learn that he left close season to drop a league to Falkirk where I imagine he’ll play every week.

ETA I think Colin Hamilton may have a couple of games suspension coming up so there’s an early opportunity for Hancock to show what he can do.

A pointless loan if that's the case then.

Aberdeen haven't sent him out on loan to sit on the bench, it may be that he plays elsewhere but there must be an agreement that he's going there to play.

Kieran ngwenya off to Raith rivers on loan for the season aswell.

38 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

A pointless loan if that's the case then.

Don’t think it’s pointless at all. We operate with a very small squad so he will definitely get game time. Might not always be in his preferred position but he will definitely feature. There is no way, however - barring injury, illness or suspension - that he will walk in to LB in our starting 11.

Perhaps has should have rephrased my original post. I don’t think he’ll get a huge amount of game time straight away in his preferred position aside from covering for reasons above.

Edited by Tattie36

18 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Don’t think it’s pointless at all. We operate with a very small squad so he will definitely get game time. Might not always be in his preferred position but he will definitely feature. There is no way, however - barring injury, illness or suspension - that he will walk in to LB in our starting 11.

That's why it's pointless. If he gets limited game time then we'd be better off putting him elsewhere or having him in and about our squad. Training with better players each day.

4 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Struggled a bit in the first game at Peterhead.

Goodwin stuck with him though and it's fair to say we like what we saw in the other three matches. Definitely the right thing to loan him out to play regular football at a good level under the tutelage of Dick C though.

Would have left it till Monday though as scales can't play on sunday

Did you not try to get him earlier this season or was that another youngster? Either way as stated, if we loaned him to you it will be to get game time.

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

I guess this means Coulson straight in the 11 v Celtic? 

Good, if he's shite lets find out from the get go.

10 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Did you not try to get him earlier this season or was that another youngster? Either way as stated, if we loaned him to you it will be to get game time.

He will get game time but I can’t imagine Dick Campbell would play a player if he doesn’t think he’s the best option. He played Bobby Linn sparingly last season even though he’s probably the most popular Arbroath player in history and still very capable (as has been proven already this season), despite  constant pressure from the fans to do so. He will play who he wants, when he wants.

Also, as I said earlier, none of our established back 4 are getting dropped for an unproven 19 year old. His best bet is to play out of his skin and make himself undroppable when the opportunity does arise… which it will.

Edited by Tattie36

6 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Hancock can play further forward on the wing.

I liked what I watched with Hancock with the Brechin game and the league cup games . Think he has a good chance of making it to our first team and I think the move will benefit both teams as he needs more experience at a higher level while I think he's good enough to get into Arbroath team.