The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

15 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Goodwin's man-management seems questionable. 

Depends on what is going on behind the scenes though doesn't it? If Ramirez has said - "no way i'm spending another year here get me moved ASAP" then surely Goodwin would be right to keep everyone else happy first?

2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

If I’ve picked up HJ correctly we have a new left back and another attacking midfielder coming in next week 

We’re going to win the league 

Both Martin Boyle and Charles Dunne were at the game today…

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Been told by one of Boyles mates that he was just along watching with his brother in law.

Yeah, I thought that may have been the case with Boyle given he’s from the area and will be back avoiding the Saudi summer.

Wouldn't be too impressed with either of them if they were to sign so hoping that’s all true. You’d imagine Boyle would be on a significant wedge if he moved anywhere.

3 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Yeah, I thought that may have been the case with Boyle given he’s from the area and will be back avoiding the Saudi summer.

Wouldn't be too impressed with either of them if they were to sign so hoping that’s all true. You’d imagine Boyle would be on a significant wedge if he moved anywhere.

I'd definitely take Boyle but the wages would have to be realistic.

Hopefully Dunne just a guest of Stewart. 

Pretty sure that's where players not selected and family sit.

Quite a pleasant day all in all, supping a pint now and reading about more signings imminent and this from HJ on the topic of switching dugouts just tops it off nicely.

“Also, I prefer being on that side of the pitch because I like to be nearer the officials than what the opposition are. I feel the dugout on that side, being the away dugout, they have too much influence and in the ear of the referees all the time. Whereas I will look after them from now on.”

Also, hope the greatest keeper to grace our game had a good birthday too!🤩

Now for a stroll over to the last man standing thread....

pimping-big.gif.ac7175b2e0119d70513b8390def3736c.gif

Going from these four matches straight to Celtic Park doesn’t fill me with confidence. I know that we haven’t lost any goals, but the only one of the back five, including Roos, to have impressed me so far is Liam Scales. At least it looks as if it’s going to Ross McCrorie to replace him. Look forward to being being proved totally wrong.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Going from these four matches straight to Celtic Park doesn’t fill me with confidence. I know that we haven’t lost any goals, but the only one of the back five, including Roos, to have impressed me so far is Liam Scales. At least it looks as if it’s going to Ross McCrorie to replace him. Look forward to being being proved totally wrong.

Agreed. We were immensely sloppy at times defensively today. We got away with it against Raith but Celtic will punish such slackness time and again.

15 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Agreed. We were immensely sloppy at times defensively today. We got away with it against Raith but Celtic will punish such slackness time and again.

Did you go to any games last year? If so, you know what "immensely" sloppy looks like.

I thought Hancock looked good going forward and Stewart and Scales looked generally solid. Hopefully, Mccorie can hold it together and we catch Celtic before they've had a chance to get going.

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I'd definitely take Boyle but the wages would have to be realistic.

Hopefully Dunne just a guest of Stewart. 

Pretty sure that's where players not selected and family sit.

Unfortunately shot down straight away by Goodwin, saying Boyle was just visiting family in Aberdeen. 

I am happy with what I have seen from both Stewart and Scales so far. Stewart doesn't look particularly quick, but he seems to be a big upgrade on last season in terms of the fundamentals, even against lower league opposition. Scales is clearly useful with the ball at his feet, too, which gives us some balance there. Stewart also looks to have a decent jump on him considering he isn't the tallest for a centre-back.

I am a bit more concerned about the full-backs, though. Richardson is clearly a good athlete, which is a positive thing, but looks really raw as a football player. I read Goodwin post-match saying that he would like more cover in the left-back area. Hancock has done fine enough from what I have seen in the last four games (with the exception of Peterhead, where he was poor), but he is also raw and needs a fair bit of support at times. Hayes has been excellent further up the pitch recently and we need to keep him there for now. Mackenzie was a mixed bag last season and I don't think I would want him as outright first choice yet. 

Also, I might have some sympathy for Ramirez if he hadn't left us in the lurch at a really low point last season. But you can't pull a stunt like that and then act up when it transpires that the club might be doubting your commitment and not fancy you hanging around. 

59 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

Did you go to any games last year? If so, you know what "immensely" sloppy looks like.

I thought Hancock looked good going forward and Stewart and Scales looked generally solid. Hopefully, Mccorie can hold it together and we catch Celtic before they've had a chance to get going.

Been a season ticket holder for over 30 years and been going home and away weekly since 2000 so yes I know what sloppy is.

Scales won't be playing, McCrorie will have to move from midfield while Richardson and Hancock are young and inexperienced so forgive me if I'm worried that Jota, Maeda, Hatate and Giakoumakis have a field day against our defence.

I broke with my own previously stated opinion that these games are demeaning to Aberdeen, and decided to watch the game today. Glad I did.

Very impressed with McCrorie and Ramadani as a midfield duo. I think they will be dominant in many games this season. Also liked Besuijen in the free role behind the striker. Hard to see where young Barron fits in. Excellent potential, and I really like his style of play, but I don't think he displaces either of those 3 right now.

Kennedy looked positive, and Jonny looks like a new man.

Miovski looks like an intellgent player with a quality left foot. Will be interesting to watch him develop with us.

Slightly concerned with the defence however. Impressed with all 4 individually at times, but collectively still looked a bit dishevelled at times. There were points today where Celtic would have punished us, no doubt. Understand and accept it's basically a brand new defence, and hopefully we can sort some little errors of positioning and concentration for next week.

Enjoyed watching Hancock for the first time. Looks a prospect.

Have to agree with others in saying that I am concerned about the defence next week 

Full back areas are inexperienced 

I really like Anthony Stewart and think he’s brilliant in the air but he’s looked sloppy playing the ball on the deck at times 

Maybe all a moot point when Bojan drills in a hat-trick 

#Champions23