The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

11 hours ago, Flammable sheep said:

Count me as another who doesn't really see where McCrorie fits.

Barron was always played as the deeper midfielder (not the more advanced mid, despite what some folk here have in their lineups), and is much better on the ball imo. Would rather have Richardson at RB if he is similar in style to Ramsay. For me, Barron, Ferguson/Ramadani + a creative AM would take up the 3 places in midfield ahead of McCrorie. 

He has very good but also bad days in CM, some days he battles and wins every ball and bursts forward to start attacks; but some days he just huffs and puffs and makes bad decisions and fouls, and doesn't influence the game for the good despite giving 100%.

He doesn't have all the box-to-box qualities or attacking attributes, is not a playmaker, or a deeper-lying distributor. Like someone mentioned, he's a bit of a Dom Ball type (but without the oafishness). Lots of effort and battling, I like him, but is that enough to be in the starting 11 every week?

A very fair and for me accurate description of the McCrorie situation. His attitude makes him likeable, (on the pitch,  not as a spectator!)  but there has to be more quality. 

Edited by big al

I think it's quite revealing that after two seasons we're still discussing which position McCrorie is best utilised. He just about gets pass marks in all positions he's played without being particularly accomplished in any of them.

We probably saw the best of him when he played in central midfield in August/September of his first season so that's probably where I'd play him.

However, I hope we'd have much better options in midfield than McCrorie.

A handy utility man to have in the squad I suppose but if he's one of the top earners then I would try and offload him.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

4 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I think it's quite revealing that after two seasons we're still discussing which position McCrorie is best utilised. He just about gets pass marks in all positions he's played without being particularly accomplished in any of them.

We probably saw the best of him when he played in central midfield in August/September of his first season so that's probably where I'd play him.

However, I hope we'd have much better options in midfield than McCrorie.

A handy utility man to have in the squad I suppose but if he's one of the top earners then I would try and offload him.

Utility players are a fantastic asset.

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I wonder who would be classed as Aberdeen's greatest (in living memory) utility man? John McMaster perhaps?

Does just playing loads of positions qualify as "utility" or do they need to be good? 

If the former, Derek Young. 

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I wonder who would be classed as Aberdeen's greatest (in living memory) utility man? John McMaster perhaps?

Before my time, but did Paul Mason not play everywhere?

34 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Its not on their website now so I wonder if it has been cancelled. 

https://pinatararena.com/football_center/inicio

Big Consi got to Jim.

8 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

I'm flying into Alicante tonight and was hoping that I could get into our game against St Johnstone tomorrow but its a closed doors game.

FWgTvPlUAAMOOzj?format=jpg&name=large

In Benidorm the now would like to go see the game 

2 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Ball was a good player. Probably our most unfairly maligned player of the McInnes years. 

I'm pretty sure Ball had a nightmare in two Scottish Cup semi finals, shite against Motherwell and ordered off early against Celtic.

He was rarely better than average if I remember correctly. I was happy when he knocked us back to sign on at QPR.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

8 hours ago, Flammable sheep said:

He was fine on his better days, I wouldn't go as far as 'good' 

Yeah I’d lean towards this. 

I think he has a couple of really good games but broadly ranged from average to poor across the piece with a few howlers thrown in. 

Probably got a disproportionate amount of stick though.