The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

13 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Lacks the technique to play midfield IMO 

4 minutes ago, logie skid boys said:

Aye agree , Can see him battling it out with Richardson for right back .

Nae wanting  to see him in midfield this season .

I'm happy with him in midfield but he should start the season at RB because we should really only be playing two of Ramadani, Ferguson, McCrorie, Barron and Polvara in the midfield at a time. If we play 3 we are severely lacking in attacking/creativity.

It is a difficult one with McCrorie. He has good attributes, especially his athleticism, but he has some pretty fundamental shortcomings both as a defender (as a centre-back in a four, at least) and midfielder. I suspect his best role in the longer term would be as a right sided centre-back in a three, but Goodwin was quite adamant in his interview with Hunter about preferring a back four. 

To be honest, the player from our recent past he reminds me of most is probably Dom Ball (who I always thought was a bit underrated by our support). 

14 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It is a difficult one with McCrorie. He has good attributes, especially his athleticism, but he has some pretty fundamental shortcomings both as a defender (as a centre-back in a four, at least) and midfielder. I suspect his best role in the longer term would be as a right sided centre-back in a three, but Goodwin was quite adamant in his interview with Hunter about preferring a back four. 

To be honest, the player from our recent past he reminds me of most is probably Dom Ball (who I always thought was a bit underrated by our support). 

Agree with the McCrorie in the right of a back 3 comment. 

McCrorie Stewart & Scales would be a good back 3.

You’d also have the two on the outside of the three being comfortable if they got dragged out to the full back position. 

3 at the back also opens up more chance to play 2 up front.

3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2. 

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Mccrorie is a difficult one. I’ve seen him be both brilliant and shite at defence, RB and midfield. 

I think a holding midfielder probably suits him best but I say that with little certainty. 

He’s definitely not a box to box midfielder.

At a push, sit in front of the back 4 & break up play, but he’s not the type to take the ball off the centre halves & start the attacks IMO.

But Goodwin likes him & I think he’ll play every week, and probably midfield 

11 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

He’s definitely not a box to box midfielder.

At a push, sit in front of the back 4 & break up play, but he’s not the type to take the ball off the centre halves & start the attacks IMO.

But Goodwin likes him & I think he’ll play every week, and probably midfield 

I agree once Ferguson goes. Not so convinced while we've still got Fergie which could easy be a few games yet

I’d say McCrorie’s strengths in midfield are winning the ball and driving forward with it, a bit like Shinnie used to. He’s ok there against a better team but if we’re playing a weaker team and trying to break them down then he’s not very effective.

I’ve always thought he’s best at the back, probably on the right of a three or even on the right.

It’ll be interesting to see where Goodwin sees him playing next season.

8 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I’d say McCrorie’s strengths in midfield are winning the ball and driving forward with it, a bit like Shinnie used to. He’s ok there against a better team but if we’re playing a weaker team and trying to break them down then he’s not very effective.

I’ve always thought he’s best at the back, probably on the right of a three or even on the right.

It’ll be interesting to see where Goodwin sees him playing next season.

McCrorie's problem is he isn't a great passer. If he could pass, he'd be a No.6 or a No.8 for sure. 

He also isn't quite good enough in the air to be a centre back. So  he's kind of stuck in between positions unfortunately. 

Until he develops one of those weaknesses, he's probably destined to be a good squad player who can fill a couple of positions with a 5 or 6/10 performance. 

McCrorie's problem is he isn't a great passer. If he could pass, he'd be a No.6 or a No.8 for sure. 
He also isn't quite good enough in the air to be a centre back. So  he's kind of stuck in between positions unfortunately. 
Until he develops one of those weaknesses, he's probably destined to be a good squad player who can fill a couple of positions with a 5 or 6/10 performance. 

I agree with that. He’s got a great attitude, he’s versatile, mobile, strong in the tackle etc but he’s lacking quality on the ball for midfield. I like him carrying the ball out from the back at CB but as you say, he’s not quite imposing enough there.

He’s undoubtedly an asset to the squad but I don’t really see a bigger team paying good money for him like they probably will for Ferguson or Barron. Maybe not a bad thing though.

7 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

Very excited by these signings. 

They may turn out to be mince but definite recognition that last years squad is no where near good enough and drastic rebuilding required. 

A step in the right direction for me.

And so it starts again! It's the hope that kills you. 

I felt so apathetic towards the end of last season. A week of transfers and I reckon we'll stroll the league!* Love an exciting transfer window. 

*I don't really

Edited by Eatmygoal

28 minutes ago, Eatmygoal said:

And so it starts again! It's the hope that kills you. 

I felt so apathetic towards the end of last season. A week of transfers and I reckon we'll stroll the league!* Love an exciting transfer window. 

*I don't really

I don't think we'll stroll the league but if we don't have it sewn up before May I'll be disappointed 

3 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

I've read that MTK have some sort of partnership with Liverpool. Are these signings somehow tied in with the Ramsay deal?

That deal is dead now.

Unless, of course, you are talking about Daniel Kinahans shady boxing organisation, and not the Hungarian fitba club?

Pondering Which One GIF by Moncho