The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ever seen him play LCB?

You've played in 1 Scottish Cup Final in 20+ years, you shouldn't be signing inferior players because you're worried about that.

For Aberdeen this season should be entirely about getting back into the top 4 and Europe by any means necessary, then you can rebuild properly. Just get the best squad together that you can and start planning for next Summer once this window shuts.

We also lost a League Cup Final to a Ryan Christie goal a few months after he returned from spending a couple of years at Pittodrie getting himself ready for the Celtic first team.

What happens if we need a win against Celtic to secure a European spot and we lose our main central defender for the match?

Or the four matches we lose Scales for against Celtic cost us our European place?

Or maybe we should take the diddy approach and say anything we get off the Gruesome Twosome is a bonus "but doesn't define our season" shite...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

We also lost a League Cup Final to a Ryan Christie goal a few months after he returned from spending a couple of years at Pittodrie getting himself ready for the Celtic first team.
What happens if we need a win against Celtic to secure a European spot and we lose our main central defender for the match?
Or the four matches we lose Scales for against Celtic cost us our European place?
Or maybe we should take the diddy approach and say anything we get off the Gruesome Twosome is a bonus "but doesn't define our season" shite...

Christie was a really good player for us. His goals got us through in Europe, into a Scottish Cup final, got us our first win at Ibrox in decades and helped secure back to back second place finishes.

I don’t buy into the idea that him scoring against us a cup final changes that. That could’ve still happened if he’d spent that time at Hibs, for example, instead. The only difference is that we wouldn’t have benefited from the above.

I’m not completely against us loaning players off them if they’ll actually improve the team (ie Christie not Montgomery) and if there’s some chance of them staying permanently afterwards.

Not being able to play against the parent club is a bit of a joke though.

7 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Christie was a really good player for us. His goals got us through in Europe, into a Scottish Cup final, got us our first win at Ibrox in decades and helped secure back to back second place finishes.

I don’t buy into the idea that him scoring against us a cup final changes that. That could’ve still happened if he’d spent that time at Hibs, for example, instead. The only difference is that we wouldn’t have benefited from the above.

I’m not completely against us loaning players off them if they’ll actually improve the team (ie Christie not Montgomery) and if there’s some chance of them staying permanently afterwards.

Not being able to play against the parent club is a bit of a joke though.

I agree scoring against us isn’t a big deal, it’s a sore one yes but as you say could just have easy developed on loan elsewhere. 

Im not completely against it but if we’re bringing in someone to be a key part of the defence I don’t expect our management to be comfortable with him missing 3/4 games (10%) of the league season and potentially important cup ties. 

I agree scoring against us isn’t a big deal, it’s a sore one yes but as you say could just have easy developed on loan elsewhere. 
Im not completely against it but if we’re bringing in someone to be a key part of the defence I don’t expect our management to be comfortable with him missing 3/4 games (10%) of the league season and potentially important cup ties. 

I agree with that, although having a player who is actually available for 90% of our games would be an improvement on most of our recent signings.

If the player improves the squad, whilst it's an inconvenience he cannot play against the team that finished first - presumably he could still do a turn against the 8 other sides that finished above us? 

Right now the frustration of being depleted for another cup final against Celtic seems a bit away.  

Re "developing" players for Celtic (or Rangers).  I always thought this fear is exaggerated.

In the first place, we can all agree that there's no point in a loan player coming here unless he's going to improve the squad.  Irrespective where he's come from.

So let's take hypothetical player A.  He's signed for Celtic, but he's not ready for their team and they want to loan him out.  He's the calibre of player who will improve our squad and we couldn't afford to bring here as our own player.  The two options are:

1. He comes here.  He makes a contribution to AFC and goes back to Celtic  with more game time and a better player.

2. We decide we're not willing to develop a player for Celtic so he goes to a different club, let's say Hibs.  He makes a contribution to them and goes back to Celtic with more game time and a better player.

As far as I can see the only real difference between 1 and 2 is that we miss out on the contribution he would have made if he'd been here and Hibs get it instead.  Celtic don't lose out.  We lose out.

4 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Christie was a good player for us, but we were a very good team that benefited him too.

Whether he would have scored against us in the final after being on-loan at Hibs is a moot point but the fans perception is that we've prepared a player to become a match winner against us in a final.

Anyway, at the time, he was playing alongside better players than he would at any other Scottish side apart from Celtic (and that included Sevco).

We also have a member of the opposition that has temporarily been in our dressing room. Now that might happen anyway if they buy one of our players but here we're giving the opposition a free insight into us.

However, we are not now directly competing for honours with Celtic, nor are we the second best club so the conditions now are very different.

It does not sit comfortably with me that we are loaned players from the Gruesomes, indeed it shouldn't sit comfortably with any Aberdeen supporter.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Future is look bright for our youth system having won a tournament in Norway against some top sides and also another tournament finishing 3rd.
Lets just hope some players are not tapped by bigger clubs before they sign for us. 

[emoji294]️[emoji294]️[emoji294]️

Guest ApathyAFC

We're diddy the quicker we all accept this the better, honestly it'll be a loan for scales 🤢 and it'll be an underwhelming transfer window. Because as i said we're diddy.

20 hours ago, betting competition said:

Future is look bright for our youth system having won a tournament in Norway against some top sides and also another tournament finishing 3rd.

Lets just hope some players are not tapped by bigger clubs before they sign for us. 

Play them in the League Cup group stages IMO

Re Christie

Were there not rumours that we were very very close to getting him on a permanent deal but Celtic picked up a few injuries pre season. He then got into the team for some of the European qualifiers for them, performed well and was then an established part of the first team squad. I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that was the case. 

9 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Re Christie

Were there not rumours that we were very very close to getting him on a permanent deal but Celtic picked up a few injuries pre season. He then got into the team for some of the European qualifiers for them, performed well and was then an established part of the first team squad. I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that was the case. 

Yeah, no idea how close to happening it really was but it was definitely reported at the time.

9 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Re Christie

It was all but done 

Celtic didn’t push the boat out for John McGinn so obviously ended up at Villa and Christie remained at Parkhead 

Sigh 

13 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Re Christie

More than rumours. 
Ryan Christie himself admitted he thought he was Pittodrie bound. 

BBC Sport Scotland gossip section:

"Aberdeen have placed a "six-figure" bid for Hyderabad hitman Bartholomew Ogbeche. The former Middlesbrough striker has netted 18 times in 20 league games for the Indian outfit, and the Nigerian international is keen for another crack at Europe."