The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

18 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Clearly, we fell out with SAF / SAF fell out with us, delete as appropriate. So no statue of auld grumpy nuts at FeegieField. How many years have passed though, and the man hasn’t been inducted into St Mirren’s Hall of Fame. A disgrace, an absolute disgrace. Anyway, these days the criteria for induction into our HoF appears to be if you’re a pal of Campbell Kennedy’s or, even if you didn’t achieve that much, you once upon a time dislocated the Rangers’ goalie’s shoulder. The entire ‘Fergie’s Furies’ St Mirren title winning, Dundee United cup demolishing side should have been inducted en masse. The fact many of them still aren’t in the HoF while a few others (who I shall keep to myself) are in, is also a disgrace.

Anyway… apologies Aberdeen fans. Wee rant there… great statue, great manager, great at three great clubs. Great, smashing, super. 😀

Aye, a great manager, and I've almost forgiven him for leaving us with a poor squad in that dark month of November 1986. 

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Aye, a great manager, and I've almost forgiven him for leaving us with a poor squad in that dark month of November 1986. 

For St Mirren fans who were too young to have grown up with Fergie’s Furies, they must think us auld timers are laying it on thick. We really aren’t. It was absolutely fantastic. While it lasted. Whatever the man’s faults, he had that magic, that something which the likes of Shankly, Stein, Paisley, Busby, and even Klopp have. An all time great.

Edited by pozbaird

On 24/02/2022 at 07:50, Illgresi said:

I think Barron could play the creative role, but it's unfair to place that much rersponsibility on a young lad. The difficulty is getting a senior player in to be the playmaker without stifling Barron's development.

An alternative viewpoint, as demonstrated multiple times by SAF, is that if you are good enough you are old enough.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

For St Mirren fans who were too young to have grown up with Fergie’s Furies, they must think us auld timers are laying it on thick. We really aren’t. It was absolutely fantastic. While it lasted. Whatever the man’s faults, he had that magic, that something which the likes of Shankly, Stein, Paisley, Busby, and even Klopp have. An all time great.

I can back you up here. I vividly remember the upcoming St Mirren team of that time. The Scottish Cup 4-1 victory over Dundee United in 1977 is for some reason a match that has stayed forever in my memory. Watched the highlights on Sportscene that night and they simply blew United away.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I can back you up here. I vividly remember the upcoming St Mirren team of that time. The Scottish Cup 4-1 victory over Dundee United in 1977 is for some reason a match that has stayed forever in my memory. Watched the highlights on Sportscene that night and they simply blew United away.

Fitzpatrick, McGarvey, Torrance, Reid… you’ll have me greetin’ in a minute. 😎

7 hours ago, betting competition said:

Just back from the event which was very good. Cormark at the end getting into the photo with Fergie and the statue was an embarrassment.

In what way was it an embarrassment? Dave Cormack made this happen. There are plenty of photos of Sir Alex on his own with the statue. Anyone who found that to be embarrassing has an agenda.

23 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Can someone help me out, because it’s driving me daft. The only ex-player from today that I can’t put a name to is the guy on the right with the white hair and glasses. And no, not Sir Alex.

CDEFEF06-EB11-4FE2-A00C-F0840D73765E.jpeg

Lenny Taylor. I only know because plenty of people asked the same thing on twitter.

45 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Can someone help me out, because it’s driving me daft. The only ex-player from today that I can’t put a name to is the guy on the right with the white hair and glasses. And no, not Sir Alex.

CDEFEF06-EB11-4FE2-A00C-F0840D73765E.jpeg

Lenny Taylor. Was my head teacher at St Machar. Some boy.

Edit: pretty wild that they let Prince Andrew in.

Edited by Merkland Red

2 hours ago, House Bartender said:

No apologies for this repeat ... a truly phenomenal evening. Oh yes, Frank, oh yes.

335154878_bayern83.thumb.jpg.6a55e8c7b096fc61aaba5d3a7bde8167.jpg

I got the first ticket for the Bayern game - I queued all night (I didnt have to as there was the voucher system on the go but I just fancied being there first)  Was pictured on the front page of the Evening with my ticket in hand.

I was on my own for ages queueing...although not sure if you could call it a queue....ok standing...had a wee wander around 2am and unbelievably found an open turnstile door at the beach end and wandered inside.  Ran aboot the pitch a wee bit then sat in the Directors box and dug outs before going to a bakers and taking my place again at the front (and back) of the queue,  Think i had to wait until 9am.

Think I still have a copy of the EE.  Also have my Gothenburg ticket which i got signed by Johnie Hewitt a few days after the game at his door. One of the programmes I have from the gme is signed by three greats of the game....Alfredo Di Stefano, Alex Ferguson and Dougie Bell (signed the day before the game outside the stadium as the Dons left and Real Madrid arrived)

8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

In almost 39 years, at Pittodrie today was the first time I have seen any footage of the Bayern Munich match which isn’t the TV coverage. Great little clip.

Aye the one I posted?

Its from the Fergie documentary on Amazon, it’s brilliant 

Lots of good Aberdeen stuff