The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
53 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Exactly this. The club will have performed a cost/benefit analysis taking into account factors such as expected attendance, how far we expect to progress in Europe, prize money for the current round etc, and arrived at a price they think will maximise their income. I would expect the PO round (should we progress) with larger prize money, and a greater probability of getting into the groups result in a reduction in ticket price. That'll be slightly counterbalanced by it being a bigger occasion, meaning they'll expect a packed crowd regardless.

You're probably right, but it's not a very auspicious start given Dave Cormack's constant 'I'm just a fan' statements. 

First chance to get fans back, and Aberdeen hike the price up to record levels. Looks ridiculous, because it is. 

3 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Exactly this. The club will have performed a cost/benefit analysis taking into account factors such as expected attendance, how far we expect to progress in Europe, prize money for the current round etc, and arrived at a price they think will maximise their income. I would expect the PO round (should we progress) with larger prize money, and a greater probability of getting into the groups result in a reduction in ticket price. That'll be slightly counterbalanced by it being a bigger occasion, meaning they'll expect a packed crowd regardless.

So charge premium prices for less attractive matches knowing that you aren't getting a large gate anyway and drop the admittance price for matches that have the possibility of selling out anyway where you probably could sneak a couple of quid onto the ticket without causing too much upset?

That seems counter-intuitive to maximising income.

In my opinion. they're planting a seed in the minds of the occasional supporter that Pittodrie equals expensive. They average supporter will probably not be thinking along the lines of a cost/benefit analysis. Thus, when the colder months arrive and the early season form has slipped the average walk-up punter will probably think, "I'm not paying 30 quid to freeze my balls off" even though the ticket price is back down at £25 (or is it £26 now?) for league matches.

An important game played in fairly family friendly atmosphere against an Icelandic team without the usually domestic rivalries on a summer evening during the school holidays could be viewed as an opportunity for introducing youngsters to the club and a match day. Should we not be attempting to attract these type of fans to the delights Pittodrie has to offer by charging a little less?

Anyway, I certainly won't be expecting great reductions in the ticket price if we manage to reach the PO, or in our wildest dreams, the group stages...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

The optimist in me is saying he has bought a house here with a new contract to be announced [emoji1787]

He’s moved to Countesswells apparently - so still a chance he may not be destined for the glamour of the Brexitland league.IMG_0822.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

So charge premium prices for less attractive matches knowing that you aren't getting a large gate anyway and drop the admittance price for matches that have the possibility of selling out anyway where you probably could sneak a couple of quid onto the ticket without causing too much upset?

That seems counter-intuitive to maximising income.

In my opinion. they're planting a seed in the minds of the occasional supporter that Pittodrie equals expensive. They average supporter will probably not be thinking along the lines of a cost/benefit analysis. Thus, when the colder months arrive and the early season form has slipped the average walk-up punter will probably think, "I'm not paying 30 quid to freeze my balls off".

Anyway, I certainly won't be expecting great reductions in the ticket price if we manage to reach the PO, or in our wildest dreams, the group stages...

As I mentioned there are other factors to consider other than just what the expected attendence is. It makes sense to charge more if this could be your last game in the competition. It also makes sense to charge more if the prize money is considerably less.

Take this round for example, the club seem to think they'll get 15k tickets sold. Presuming all the c. 8.5k STs take a ticket and assuming £32 for non-ST, £28 for ST to make life easier for me:

Prize money = £466k
Gate receipts = £446k (49%)
Total = £912k

Let's say they dropped the tickets a couple of quid and filled the stadium

Prize money = £466k
Gate receipts = £506k (52%)
Total = £972k

So we gain £60k and have a full stadium. Now I ken you Aberdonian boys are grippit whoors, but do you honestly think dropping a ticket price by £2 is going to see an extra 3k supporters? 37 years of going to Pittodrie tells me no...So let's say they drop the price and only gain 500 supporters (far more likely imo).

Prize money = £466k
Gate receipts = £431k (48%)
Total = £897k

So the club have probably decided what they think is a likely attendance, but ultimately it mkes virtually no difference. They'll also have factored in the probability of getting to the next round where they will undoubtedly expect a capacity crowd, but where the prize money is £635k.

10 hours ago, Illgresi said:

As I mentioned there are other factors to consider other than just what the expected attendence is. It makes sense to charge more if this could be your last game in the competition. It also makes sense to charge more if the prize money is considerably less.

Take this round for example, the club seem to think they'll get 15k tickets sold. Presuming all the c. 8.5k STs take a ticket and assuming £32 for non-ST, £28 for ST to make life easier for me:

Prize money = £466k
Gate receipts = £446k (49%)
Total = £912k

Let's say they dropped the tickets a couple of quid and filled the stadium

Prize money = £466k
Gate receipts = £506k (52%)
Total = £972k

So we gain £60k and have a full stadium. Now I ken you Aberdonian boys are grippit whoors, but do you honestly think dropping a ticket price by £2 is going to see an extra 3k supporters? 37 years of going to Pittodrie tells me no...So let's say they drop the price and only gain 500 supporters (far more likely imo).

Prize money = £466k
Gate receipts = £431k (48%)
Total = £897k

So the club have probably decided what they think is a likely attendance, but ultimately it mkes virtually no difference. They'll also have factored in the probability of getting to the next round where they will undoubtedly expect a capacity crowd, but where the prize money is £635k.

It's isn't revelatory to understand that the club are going to generate higher revenue by raising the prices. As you suggest, the gate may have only been slightly higher if they had charged lower prices.

However, it's the perception it creates amongst the fan base of a visit to Pittodrie being an expensive day out.

If we compare tomorrow night to other 3rd round qualifying round matches..

South Stand Y vs Real Sociedad was £24

South Stand Y vs Kairat Alamty £24

South Stand X vs NK Maribor £20

South Stand Y vs Apollon Limassol £25

South Stand Y vs HNK Rijeka £25

South Stand Y vs Briedablik £30

Therefore a ticket for a QR3 (in a supposedly lesser competition with the Conference League) in the South Stand Section Y is now 20% higher, on average, under Cormack than it was under Milne. Indeed, for some parts of the South Stand the increase will be higher because the South Stand has been divided up into different admission prices depending where you sit (has that been done previously?).

If First Transport, for example, were to raise bus fares by 20% then we wouldn't be patting them on the back saying, "oh what a clever business model", people that had to pay the fare to go to work would be outraged.

Cormack is an Aberdonian loon and the only one I can see that's being a grippit hoor in relation to the pricing for these European matches is him.

Here's St Johnstone's pricing against Galatasary below. Now take away the magnificent gesture to season ticket holders (great reward especially for those that paid last season and saw no action) which I would never expect to be replicated by a grippit hoor, then the pricing structure seems fair and this is, remember, a higher level of competition in the eyes of UEFA.

SAINTS.thumb.JPG.12c330fb6f9613c06cf457cbd48ba8d0.JPG

Edited by Bogbrush1903

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Worth factoring in that there will be regular match goers that don’t yet feel comfortable attending a full capacity match. 

Correct. I'm sceptical that there will be any significant increase in attendances for many teams when you compare pre-covid to post-covid (I know it's not a true post-covid).

Like you mention, some fans may not be comfortable attending yet, but I also suspect there may be some regulars that have decided during the extended absence that they can actually live without going to the football every week/fortnight or their circumstances have changed as a direct result of the pandemic meaning they can no longer afford to attend.

Edited by AJF

It's also the last week of the school hodays. So some people, like me, will be away. They are talking about 15,000 which will be near the reduced capacity. So only a minor disappointment if not a full sell out, as we will likely sell a few PPV as well.

At this stage surely we should be looking forward to the game? COYR.

16 minutes ago, AJF said:

Correct. I'm sceptical that there will be any significant increase in attendances for many teams when you compare pre-covid to post-covid (I know it's not a true post-covid).

Like you mention, some fans may not be comfortable attending yet, but I also suspect there may be some regulars that have decided during the extended absence that they can actually live without going to the football every week/fortnight or their circumstances have changed as a direct result of the pandemic meaning they can no longer afford to attend.

Not to mention the central belt top reds who 1) can’t get away from work and 2) have a young child. 

a niche demographic yes but they do exist (speaking on behalf of a friend). 

22 minutes ago, AJF said:

Like you mention, some fans may not be comfortable attending yet

Delboy certainly didn't look comfortable on Tuesday night although I think his angst might've been caused by a Swedish flu rather than the "China virus" as one former US President called it...

E8dUxA_XEAs24PI.jpg.7d5273f1d5c087b246bbf060618389f2.jpg

16 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

not sure if the googly eyes tweet is an indication of something happening soon but I noticed the article only mentions the move as being a loan which is hardly ideal.

Would cost Aberdeen a fair bit to pay him off so best put him on a loan deal which we will take in another signing. 

27 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Would cost Aberdeen a fair bit to pay him off so best put him on a loan deal which we will take in another signing. 

I'm sure it all adds up but I can't see St.Mirren paying a big enough chunk of his wages for it to really make much of a difference in getting anyone else in.