The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp

Plenty of good points being made. The 3-5-2 worked well with Watkins, Hedges and Wright in the team. The second Watkins got injured we should have went back to 4 at the back. 

It's been a disaster for the last 4 months, yet we persist with it. We would be a much better team with Logan in the team and Hayes and Kennedy pushed further forward. 

It's bizarre why McInnes hasn't decided to go back to this. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Plenty of good points being made. The 3-5-2 worked well with Watkins, Hedges and Wright in the team. The second Watkins got injured we should have went back to 4 at the back. 

It's been a disaster for the last 4 months, yet we persist with it. We would be a much better team with Logan in the team and Hayes and Kennedy pushed further forward. 

Probably because on the whole a back 3 has worked reasonably well defensively. Derek likes a solid defensive foundation to then build on offensively. The fact it's almost completely nullified us as an attacking threat seems to almost be collateral.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Probably because over the last couple of seasons before this one , Logan has proved himself to be prone to very poor defending and lapses in concentration .....certainly more of a liability than the much-maligned Considine and the much-more-maligned Taylor. And Logan offers very little in an attacking sense compared to his first 4 or 5 years with us. 

So not bizarre at all 

Probably because over the last couple of seasons before this one , Logan has proved himself to be prone to very poor defending and lapses in concentration .....certainly more of a liability than the much-maligned Considine and the much-more-maligned Taylor. And Logan offers very little in an attacking sense compared to his first 4 or 5 years with us. 
So not bizarre at all 

Are the rumours true about Logan’s appearances being close to triggering an extension but Club reluctant to play him ?

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Logan is being deliberately left unplayed so he doesn't trigger his 1 year contract extension.

4 hours ago, betting competition said:

Would you bin him if we won the Scottish cup?

We're not winning the Scottish Cup this season... We haven't won it for the last 30 years so we're definitely not doing it with a team that can't find the net... 

In fact trips to Dumbarton etc makes me feel decidedly uneasy at present.. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

No board in their right mind would be sacking McInnes right now with only half a dozen games left.

He has the team in 4th, fairly out of sight of 5th, still the possibility of 3rd - do you seriously think that results will get better under the youth team manager (or whoever would take his spot til summer) ?

I'm talking about replacing him now with the manager who will lead us next season to get a head start... 

It's results getting worse than I'm concerned about presently. We're in 4th by virtue of what we did in 2020. We've been on a bit of a slide since... 

Would not surprise me if DM gets binned early this week.

Hibs are handing us 3rd place on a plate but with DM in charge, we’ll never make it.

Its clear Cormack wanted him out last month but for whatever reason - outvoted by the old farts in the committee - he changed his mind but the time is getting close.

Edited by Afc69

Would you bin him if we won the Scottish cup?
That's a tough one. Beat Dumbarton/Huntly and we are in the last 16, couple of good draws and we've every chance. I'm not vehemently anti-McInnes so it would buy him some time with me but I genuinely feel there are some among our support that are terrified at the thought of us having a cup run if it saves him. I just want us to win every game we play.

Probably because on the whole a back 3 has worked reasonably well defensively. Derek likes a solid defensive foundation to then build on offensively. The fact it's almost completely nullified us as an attacking threat seems to almost be collateral.

The back 3 is working fine defensively, so it should, we've got 7 outfield players on the park who are principally thought of as 'defenders', a back 3, 2 wing backs and 2 sitting midfielders, if this isn't enough to stop most teams in the Scottish Premiership from scoring then I don't know what would be.

As mentioned above, the three players who made this system work were Watkins, Hedges and Wright, why the f**k are we persisting with it when

1. These players aren't available/with us

2. It's not fucking working

6 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

The back 3 is working fine defensively, so it should, we've got 7 outfield players on the park who are principally thought of as 'defenders', a back 3, 2 wing backs and 2 sitting midfielders, if this isn't enough to stop most teams in the Scottish Premiership from scoring then I don't know what would be.

As mentioned above, the three players who made this system work were Watkins, Hedges and Wright, why the f**k are we persisting with it when

1. These players aren't available/with us

2. It's not fucking working

I'm not defending it, I just reckon in his head he'll be reluctant to change a defensive structure that is actually working. He probably feels a change of shape is more likely to see us become leaky at the back than it is to make us start banging in goals. The fact we created a few chances on Saturday has probably satisfied him that we're being unlucky/lacking in confidence etc and it's not the shape.

12 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

We're not winning the Scottish Cup this season... We haven't won it for the last 30 years so we're definitely not doing it with a team that can't find the net... 

In fact trips to Dumbarton etc makes me feel decidedly uneasy at present.. 

Dumbarton or Huntly must be licking their lips in anticipation at the moment.

Let’s give our boring manager one last game away at Tannadice, with United needing a win to have a chance of top six, and bring in a new guy to freshen things up and clear out the dross.

Hopefully Rory Boulding doesn’t still play for United.

1 minute ago, lubo_blaha said:

Let’s give our boring manager one last game away at Tannadice, with United needing a win to have a chance of top six, and bring in a new guy to freshen things up and clear out the dross.

Hopefully Rory Boulding doesn’t still play for United.

Hahaha. It's come full circle.

3 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

The longer he's in the dugout the more I feel he'll be here next season. 

I did previously think he'd be away at the end of this one, but that would take some humility and lack of ego from the guy, which we all know we aren't going to get. 

What a sorry state we've become in the space of 2.5 years. He should've known the gig was up after those defeats to Motherwell in the cups a few year ago, utterly trounced. 

Give someone else a go.

If I was him I doubt I'd walk away from a massive pay off either.