The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

May and Rooney are both pretty good forwards, Rooney has slowed down this season but his scoring record the last couple of years for you guys is pretty darn good

That's because at this point last season, Aberdeen's wingers had put just short of a 1k crosses into the box. Rooney did what he's best at.....never moving more than 10 yards at a time but making sure he was on the end of almost everything that was flung in.

This season, we've only  fired in around 300 crosses and Rooney has suffered accordingly.

McGinn being back is not only getting a new player, it'll (hopefully) be getting the old Rooney back as well.

We could still do with another target man up front though.

10 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

My gut instinct was that he would end up at one of the Edinburgh clubs, so I'm pleased and pleasantly surprised by this, even if I am a bit sceptical at the length of the deal. His output is vastly superior to our current wingers, which, provided he can hit form, should benefit the team and especially our strikers in the second half of this season. 

Never in any doubt. More money and a better team in Aberdeen. Was always signing.

Fantastic news.

Would argue that the length of deal isn’t necessarily an issue - he’s already re-invented himself as an inside forward/winger after a 20 odd goal season as a striker, so if he loses the burst of pace eventually I still think he’d have the footballing brain to perhaps move inside or as a number 10.

2 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Can we punt Maynard to give McGinn his number back?

My wife reckons that as McGinn did his press with no sign of a club jersey on show, this is very likely to be the case. Maynard will just have to go into the shite loan/short contracts cupboard. Its getting pretty full up now though.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

My gut instinct was that he would end up at one of the Edinburgh clubs, so I'm pleased and pleasantly surprised by this, even if I am a bit sceptical at the length of the deal. 

That was my thinking, yous signing him is probably just as important as Hibs not signing him (if that makes sense).  Regarding length of deal I think he will contribute even once his legs go a bit as hes not just a pace merchant.

Pleased that Niall is back with us. It is fair to say that AFC and Niall have missed each other greatly in the months apart. Hopefully this will result in an increase in service for Rooney.

Turning down both Edinburgh clubs is very pleasing. Hibs have gone for Lafferty and McGinn, lost both to what should be their nearest rivals in terms of club stature. GIRFUY Lennon and Dempster.

Guy on our forum reckons we've made an approach for Maynard, does that seem realistic?

We badly need attackers and pace, and you seem a bit top heavy now with McGinn joining, so it seems to make sense, not sure if there's anything that's incorrect there though.

Guy on our forum reckons we've made an approach for Maynard, does that seem realistic?

We badly need attackers and pace, and you seem a bit top heavy now with McGinn joining, so it seems to make sense, not sure if there's anything that's incorrect there though.

Not unrealistic that we’d want to let him go given we’ve signed McGinn. Doubt he’s on a bad wage with us and doesn’t seem like it’s going to workout.

FWIW, I don’t think he’s as bad as folk make out, he’s not great clearly but think he’d do a job in this league given the chance.

However, he strikes me as someone who wants to get back to England rather than stay up here. I’m basing that on virtually nothing, just a feeling.

Aye, I always try and see the good in Aberdeen players (try being the operative word), but I really struggle with Maynard. He's just pish. I expect him to go down to England and get a gig in the National League or, if he is lucky, a poor League Two team. 

Maynard definitely had something at one point when he was down south but it comes across as if he’s one of those players who lost his way and struggles to find the motivation now he’s at a “lower” level.

Perhaps a run of games will get him going. Never really going to get that with us.