The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Is Pedro daft enough to think McLean can rescue his team mid-season (if he's still there) and come in with a £500k offer in January??

I think he might be...................................just maybe

11 minutes ago, gkneil said:

Is Pedro daft enough to think McLean can rescue his team mid-season (if he's still there) and come in with a £500k offer in January??

I think he might be...................................just maybe

If Ole Ped's still at the helm in January and still being given money, I doubt the offer would be any more than half that and would probably be acceptable.

However, even if he is still there it's possible the board at the rangers will not release any more money for him because he's (allegedly) burned his way through anything from £5M to £10M for no apparent improvement

Another possibility is someone else comes in as the rangers manager and doesn't fancy McLean. What a fucking shame that would be, eh? Eh? Eh?

1 hour ago, The_Judge said:

Give the lad a break, he just wants to get picked for the national team.

Ouch, 

Hopefully whoever is the new Scotland manager will realize that football is still played north of the Forth.  As for McLean, I hope he goes down south because he would probably be a better midfielder than most of the lousy midfielders that have signed at Ibrox in the last few years

McLean's a funny one. He started this season poorly and was flattering to deceive, and he was undoubtedly fortunate to keep his place in the team whilst there was a fair bit of rotation around him. He is, however, on his day, a good and valuable player; he was excellent in the second half of last season and appears to have rediscovered that form over the past two or three games. 

I'd much rather he didn't go to Ibrox. He would undoubtedly improve them. I do, however, expect him to end up there. 

McLean who is a good player, I think he gets more stick than he deserves at times though he can be frustrating as he doesn't always play as well as we know he can. I'll be sad to see him go but he's replaceable.

My thoughts also.

Had a really good spell at the tail end of last season, but I think he's a confidence player which isn't great when you're the go to guy for the fans to scream at when things aren't going well.

Have heard that it was due to come out in the press tomorrow. Standard big game shit stirring in the Weegia.

5 hours ago, anotherchance said:

My thoughts also.

Had a really good spell at the tail end of last season, but I think he's a confidence player which isn't great when you're the go to guy for the fans to scream at when things aren't going well.

I've heard that it was due to come out in the press tomorrow. Standard big game shit stirring in the Weegia.

Utter tripe. McInnes was asked in press conference, he revealed McLean was leaving, then Aberdeen posted it straight on their twitter. Was no media conspiracy about it.

5 hours ago, Dunty said:

Utter tripe. McInnes was asked in press conference, he revealed McLean was leaving, then Aberdeen posted it straight on their twitter. Was no media conspiracy about it.

Steady on tough guy!

Maybe he'd been given a heads up that the press were going to run with it today and he wanted to take control of the news?

The media ask him about contracts during most press conferences anyway.

As it was due to come out today, it was preferable to give folk a day or so to get over it, rather than it all coming out on the day of the match.

I think he just wanted to be as up front with it as possible, considering what happened with Snakey Jack in the summer. Fair play to Del and to Kenny. He's a good player and I wish him well (except if he goes THERE). When he's on form and in our team we're better for it, so we will need to replace him with a big player come January/the summer. I think I'd rather keep him all season though.

5 hours ago, Dunty said:

Who asked the question? Was it the media or the press?  :P

If he was asked the question at the press conference rather than coming out with it himself without being asked, then it's safe to assume that the media were running with it this morning.

No conspiracy. The weegie press just hate us. Always have. Always will. ;)

The rumour that Derek has announced this to preempt the media announcing it today makes perfect sense to me. He's been savvy with the press for the entire time he has been manager and, as far as I can recall, hasn't really missed a step in that area. Another situation where news involving our club has been released on our terms.

4 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Who asked the question? Was it the media or the press?  :P

If he was asked the question at the press conference rather than coming out with it himself without being asked, then it's safe to assume that the media were running with it this morning.

No conspiracy. The weegie press just hate us. Always have. Always will. ;)

They asked if there were any movement on contract negotiations. He could have just said "we're still in talks with a few players" and moved on. He offered up the information.

Takes a certain level of paranoia to see that as some sort of media conspiracy to derail Aberdeen.

They asked if there were any movement on contract negotiations. He could have just said "we're still in talks with a few players" and moved on. He offered up the information.
Takes a certain level of paranoia to see that as some sort of media conspiracy to derail Aberdeen.

Aye, the media never try to derail us before big games...

Guest Bob Mahelp

He's undoubtedly a good player but I don't think his heart has ever really been in it since moving to Aberdeen. 

It's never felt that he really belongs with us. 

When he's good he has a quiet control over the game (as he did at Easter Road) which I suspect strongly we'll miss. On the other hand, it may allow McInnes to stop pushing square pegs into round holes, which has disadvantaged McLean almost from day one. 

Now that McKenna has broken through we're able to push O'Connor into the holding midfield role which suits everyone better. McInnes may decide that replacing McLean with a more attack minded midfielder is the way to go......in which case I'd like us to be looking at players like Greg Docherty or Ali Crawford.