The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Callum Davidson should be ready now after being on the bench with Mark McGhee

You think it's coincidence that since Davidsons been involved with Scotland results have immeasurably improved?

What's the verdict on Aberdeen so far then?

Outsiders perspective is that they've had a pretty easy start to the season in terms of fixtures but seem to have been just about getting by. Relatively tight wins over sides you'd expect them to beat, yesterday apart.

Tough looking run of games coming up now. Two in a row at Motherwell followed by St Johnstone, Hibs away, Rangers away, Celtic at home.

What do Aberdeen fans expect from that lot?

Outsiders perspective is that they've had a pretty easy start to the season in terms of fixtures but seem to have been just about getting by. Relatively tight wins over sides you'd expect them to beat, yesterday apart.
Tough looking run of games coming up now. Two in a row at Motherwell followed by St Johnstone, Hibs away, Rangers away, Celtic at home.

It's definitely been a mixed start when it comes to performance, but the results have been good. Prior to the start of the season I think a lot of people were looking at our first six or so games and thinking we should come out with a decent points total and 14 points out of 18 I think we've achieved that.

On the flip side of that I can't think of any game yet this season where I've felt it was really clicking and we looked as good as we potentially could be with this group of players. We've seemed to start games really well but been slow to adapt to opposition teams changing their shapes or tactics, I think that was shown yesterday. For the first 20 minutes I thought we looked really good and we were knocking the ball about so effortlessly and I felt it could have been an absolute doing, but we only managed 1 goal in that period of dominance and Killie got back into it after an enforced substitution.

The squad rotation is another interesting aspect to this season. McInnes looks like he isn't sure what to do with the attacking players at his disposal. He has a lot of talent but not enough positions for a lot of players who probably would be guaranteed starters at any other Scottish team bar Celtic and us. He's rotated a lot and there are times, Hearts last week for example, where I've not been sure what positions certain players are actually supposed to be playing in. I can't help but think back to last season, we were around fourth then went on a great run, that came with squad consistency and announcing an unchanged team for a good 8 or so games. I just can't see that fixed strongest 11 emerging any time soon.

On the defensive front I think the lack of Kari has surprised a few people, but he played with O'Connor yesterday and I thought (despite conceding) it was the surest looking defensive performance of the season and Kari played well. On the flip side of a good player struggling to get a game you've got McLean who just hasn't been good enough so far this season, I've tried to be patient with him but his performance yesterday was poor and for me that's one too many times he hasn't performed, but he seems undropable.

Tougher run of fixtures coming but with the players we've got I think we are always in a position where we can score and I think the defence is hopefully going to be a bit more settled with the Arnason/O'Connor partnership. I would expect us to lose to Celtic still, and whilst I think 6 points from Sevco and St Johnstone is doable they will be tough games against the two teams most likely to be competing with us for second. I would probably be quietly happy with 4 points from those two.

Positives are we've played some good football for periods of games and if that can be kept up for a whole 90 minutes we could give a team an absolute doing. With players like May and Christie who are capable of something really special I'll always feel we are good for a goal. Wright has been brilliant in parts, just let down by a bit of inexperience and iffy decision making, but you feel that will come with time and it's great to see a youth player coming through and playing well. Tough run of fixtures coming up but I would hope to see the Dons sitting in 2nd place at the end of it.

Too early to judge us.

5 games in last season I think we'd maybe only won one game and performances were poor. Mcinnes was tinkering the team and people were getting impatient, I know one or two who were even suggesting his time was up as manager....

We've yet to find our strongest line up with the strength in depth we've got but I'm confident we will. We've been excellent for short periods of games and very poor in others. We're yet to put together a complete 90 minute performance. The good thing is our point tally is pretty healthy considering the performances.

Slight trepidation for the upcoming fixtures as not many signs yet that the 90 minute performance is imminent.

It feels like fate that Louis moult will knock us out the cup after our pursuit of him in the summer. Motherwell look very decent and more than capable of scoring a few against our defence.

Season as a whole I'm pretty relaxed, I think there's much more to come from us and just a matter of time. Just hope we're not knocked out 1 of 2 realistic trophy targets before it happens.

There's a bit of a paradox in McInnes' decisions this season. He's tinkered with the lineup and formation, but he's not really found a system which works yet, despite the good results. Therefore he's liable to keep changing until he finds a satisfactory solution to the problems. On the plus  side, our defence yesterday was as good as it's been all season, only conceding an unlucky deflection, so  I'd hope he'd keep that section of the team together going into the next  few matches.

Going forward, we have an embarrassment of riches, but haven't found a way to play them in a way which  works. We've been winning games though their quality, but you get the feeling that once a balance is found up top, we have the players to really hurt teams. 

Yesterday we came up against a stuffy defence packed with bodies, the sort of defence we struggled to break down in McInnes' first season, especially at home. In the subsequent years, McInnes' plan usually involved Hayes and McGinn getting as many crosses into the box as possible, with Rooney as the predator there, meaning we don't have to pass through the middle of the park. Yesterday we had right footed Wright on the left, and  left footed Stewart on the right, meaning they both cut inside all the time, and narrowed the pitch, dribbling straight into Gordon Greer et al. It wasn't until we had GMS on  the left that any crosses came into the box, and a couple of chances were created. 

If we do want to play through the middle, then Christie is essential. He's the only player in our squad with the physicality and skill to win the battle with the centre backs. May is such a good option, and showed clinical finishing again yesterday, one chance - one goal. My patience with Maynard is wearing very thin indeed. 

In conclusion, it's hard to be too disappointed about 4 wins and 2 draws, but its also hard to feel too confident going forward, given the level of opposition coming up. I really hope McInnes plays the same back four for the next couple of weeks at least, as O'Connor and Arnason looked to have the makings of a good partnership. 

And I love Super Joe Lewis.

16 minutes ago, Karl Fletcher said:

Adam Rooney has now scored more goals for Aberdeen than Duncan Shearer :o

Its likely he will make it into the top ten and enjoy a legacy of being one of great players we have had outside the Fergie years. Same as big Duncan. 

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yet some of our support still call him shite

I can get frustrated by him at times. However, his goalscoring record speaks for itself. His ability taking penalties is only appreciated on the very rare occasion he misses one. He looked good alongside May on Saturday. they are both on long contracts so hopefully a strong partnership develops. 

1 minute ago, Kneetrembler said:

I can get frustrated by him at times. However, his goalscoring record speaks for itself. His ability taking penalties is only appreciated on the very rare occasion he misses one. He looked good alongside May on Saturday. they are both on long contracts so hopefully a strong partnership develops. 

Don't get me wrong he has his faults and I think last season was his worst with us.  When he's not at it at times it can be like playing with a man down.

However as you say his goalscoring record speaks for itself and we've been lucky to have such a consistent goalscorer for so long.

I just dislike the fickle in our support who have to label people as either brilliant or shite.  A lot of people wrote him off as past it etc. 

I might be imagining this but it felt like before Rooney came in it felt like we were missing every second penalty. Seem to remember Robson and Hartley being decent at taking them but going from a penalty being a chance to a penalty being all but a guaranteed goal is fantastic.

Other than the freak bad luck he had in Maribor I can't recall him miss one. As jmo says, when we get a penalty and Rooney is playing, I am not really nervous, he's going to score.

I'm pretty sure that's the only one he's missed for us. I looked it up once and think he'd only missed one before coming to the Dons.