The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The philosophy is about creating a recognisable style of play that is firmly centred around the development of homegrown talent.

We've definitely seen it this season, just a shame the recognisable style is possession for possession's sake, an incredibly soft center and inability to keep a clean sheet.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

How's this going? 

The Club is aiming to inspire fans with an exciting brand of football that has its roots in homegrown talent. The philosophy sets out how the Club will strive to produce winning performances that get supporters up off their feet, with intensity and pace. Adopting many of the principles which have brought the Club successes over the years, the philosophy is about creating a recognisable style of play that is firmly centred around the development of homegrown talent.

I'm confused by the term "get supporters up off their feet".  Do they want us to jump in the air?  

53 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Trying to be positive after last night and the only thing I can take from Goodwin bad start is that McInnes only won 1 in 5 games.

Goodwin will need to have a very good summer transfer window because if it goes pear-shaped then I don't think he'll see the January one. Furthermore, we don't really have a good solid core of a team here already so he needs to build that core with his share of the transfer fund kitty off the Ramsey & Ferguson transfers.

Although we're prepared to write off the end of this season at the moment, these hapless, uninspiring opening matches of his managerial reign will count against him if things are still going wrong come October.

I would say, in boxing parlance, he's on the ropes at the moment and, if I'm being honest, I suspect Jim Goodwin will not be Aberdeen manager in twelve months time.

I think it's just too big a job to do in to little time before patience runs out.

Goodwin took over a mess; however, I think he should've aimed for consolidation of the club's and his own position first. He's been brave or foolhardy with his decisions so far.

I think it would've been prudent to try a gradual revolution, offer hope to the existing players in the squad whether you wanted them or not, and try to squeeze every last bit of effort and application out of the squad until you could replace unwanted players.

I don't think you can just ignore what's happened so far just because he didn't sign any of the players.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

3 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Goodwin will need to have a very good summer transfer window because if it goes pear-shaped then I don't think he'll see the January one. Furthermore, we don't really have a good solid core of a team here already so he needs to build that core with his transfer kitty of the Ramsey & Ferguson transfers.

Although we're prepared to write off the end of this season at the moment, these hapless, uninspiring opening matches of his managerial reign will count against him if things are still going wrong come October.

I would say, in boxing parlance, he's on the ropes at the moment and, if I'm being honest, I suspect Jim Goodwin will not be Aberdeen manager in twelve months time.

I think it's just too big a job to do in to little time before patience runs out.

Goodwin took over a mess; however, I think he should've aimed for consolidation of the club's and his own position first. He's been brave or foolhardy with his decisions so far.

I think it would've been prudent to try a gradual revolution, offer hope to the existing players in the squad whether you wanted them or not, and try to squeeze every last bit of effort and application out of the squad until you could replace unwanted players.

I don't think you can just ignore what's happened so far just because he didn't sign any of the players.

Can't really argue with that. Don't think anyone's ignoring what is happening but there's not much change to be expected right now as obviously the club isn't going to sack Goodwin this quick and even the most pissed off fan at the moment is likely to still give him the chance to recruit first before going after him.

Like you say if things don't start well next season or at the very least give indications of progress being made it could get uncomfortable for him fairly quick.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

Can't really argue with that. Don't think anyone's ignoring what is happening but there's not much change to be expected right now as obviously the club isn't going to sack Goodwin this quick and even the most pissed off fan at the moment is likely to still give him the chance to recruit first before going after him.

Like you say if things don't start well next season or at the very least give indications of progress being made it could get uncomfortable for him fairly quick.

The only real positive to playing in the league cup groups is that it gives him a chance to get his shit sorted early. Especially as it's against lower league teams. McInnes and Glass had to play decent European teams whilst trying to sort their rebuild.

4 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Goodwin will need to have a very good summer transfer window because if it goes pear-shaped then I don't think he'll see the January one. Furthermore, we don't really have a good solid core of a team here already so he needs to build that core with his share of the transfer fund kitty off the Ramsey & Ferguson transfers.

Very fair comments.

He’s been a bit disrespectful to the paying fans, basically saying that this season doesn’t matter at all how hopeless we are. Releasing players left right and centre. 
He may get a few of the signings right but he definitely won’t get the majority in as great signings in the volume he’s going to have to sign now. 
Not quite sure what to make of him yet but he’s gambled already for sure.

16 hours ago, big al said:

Very fair comments.

He’s been a bit disrespectful to the paying fans, basically saying that this season doesn’t matter at all how hopeless we are. Releasing players left right and centre. 
He may get a few of the signings right but he definitely won’t get the majority in as great signings in the volume he’s going to have to sign now. 
Not quite sure what to make of him yet but he’s gambled already for sure.

Where did he say words to that effect?

In terms of releasing players - you could argue about Turner and Considine departure, but the rest surely needed to go.

I would say the one aspect of the job he has got right so far are his comments before and after games - in the post-match at St Johnstone he summed it all up pretty well, and took his own share of responsibility.

Edited by O_Kahn

Just now, starryfish said:

If he was able to pass on even a fraction of his ability to future Dons players then what a difference that would make to them

Pity he didn't pass it on to his sons as well. :)

Not his work ethic though

He had the skill and vision to let the ball do the work.

Some of our football around that era was a joy to watch, with Bett often the one dictating play.

Many dandies at the time would still have a go and use the lazy, workshy label at him. I suppose McGinn also got that over more recent years, but again more talent in his wee toe then many others around him, and probably would have been nowhere near us if he had an ‘engine’ to match his technical ability.

Still, we do sometimes need to have a whinge even about the positives of our club - I would still be reluctant to play Ramsay in some games as he’s so unreliable defensively, but still realise the lad has got it and will almost certainly be a top player in time.