The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

46 minutes ago, A96 said:

Bottom of the clean sheets table for league games this season , with 4.

No other teams have less than 7.

Whilst we’re clearly needing improvement throughout the team ,  seems obvious to me that the priority is taking action to stop conceding goals that the opposition don’t really have to work all that hard for.

The goal difference is telling.  Previous very bad Dons sides would have been around -30 around now with this type of points haul, we are at -5, which is the best outside the top three.

We've only had three defeats by more than one goal in the league - and just seem to have developed this strange knack of managing to come out on the wrong end of lots of tight games.

Saturday was a case in point. For the second time this season, the opposition keeper avoids what looks a fairly clearcut red card (with the McGregor/Hedges incident being the other one).............the outcome both times, a loss of concentration and a goal conceded at the other end within a minute.  Just sums up the mental fragility in the side (along with the fact we have some very bad referees).

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

The goal difference is telling.  Previous very bad Dons sides would have been around -30 around now with this type of points haul, we are at -5, which is the best outside the top three.

We've only had three defeats by more than one goal in the league - and just seem to have developed this strange knack of managing to come out on the wrong end of lots of tight games.

Saturday was a case in point. For the second time this season, the opposition keeper avoids what looks a fairly clearcut red card (with the McGregor/Hedges incident being the other one).............the outcome both times, a loss of concentration and a goal conceded at the other end within a minute.  Just sums up the mental fragility in the side (along with the fact we have some very bad referees).

Derek McInnes more often than not managed to get his sides to grind out a victory, often when not playing well, even if that had been done on 3-4 more occasions this season then the Dons would be comfortably mid table.

8 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Derek McInnes A previous manager who we have moved on from more often than not managed to get his sides to grind out a victory, often when not playing well, even if that had been done on 3-4 more occasions this season then the Dons would be comfortably mid table.

This is the issue with the 'philosophy' change.

Glass produced five decent performances against the gruesomes, where the team were competitive in each (much moreso than the prior regime often were) - but we still only took 2 points from 15.

Alas the ball was dropped in the other matches, when the ability to grind out what some term 'boring' 'eyebleeding' 1-0 wins etc has been replaced with losing them instead.  We simply cannot afford the level of quality required to go out and batter these sides week after week, and am hoping Goodwin gets us back to being able to clock up the unspectacular wins, and sprinkle in the odd bit of stardust along the way.

Winning breeds confidence, and grinding out the wins is what the yams are now doing, just at a time when the rewards for doing so are even greater than when we were that team for several seasons.  

12 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Having been in the Red Shed on Saturday, I can only agree with you both.

A group of young folk booing Livingston taking the knee wasn't the best start. Thereafter turning on the team as soon as we went behind wasn't brilliant. The singing of "you're not fit to wear the shirt" was a bit far for me.

While I like a good Boo myself at full time, during the game, this team are so short of confidence that they need levels of support their performances this season are not deserving of. They're going to need that on Saturday.

I appreciate this season has been absolutely shite, but these younger fans really need to drop the whole angry entitled attitude for the last few games and get right behind this team. We need the positive support to stave off any fears of relegation.

I do wonder what the attitude of the Ned Shed would've been in 95 when we produced that rattling run of wins just to make the playoff. I was very young but I recall Pittodrie rocking for the Celtic and Utd games and a huge support going to Tynecastle and Brockville. Without the backing of the fans I think we would've gone down that season. Did we not go behind at Tynecastle as well??

1 hour ago, starryfish said:

Derek McInnes more often than not managed to get his sides to grind out a victory, often when not playing well, even if that had been done on 3-4 more occasions this season then the Dons would be comfortably mid table.

The term “game management” was routinely used by the McInnes haters as a derogatory stick to beat him with. And still is by them when they’re willing him to fail at Kilmarnock.

In much the same way as **** routinely trot out “sporting integrity” whenever they perceive anything done by the Scottish football authorities as being questionable.

I do wonder what the attitude of the Ned Shed would've been in 95 when we produced that rattling run of wins just to make the playoff. I was very young but I recall Pittodrie rocking for the Celtic and Utd games and a huge support going to Tynecastle and Brockville. Without the backing of the fans I think we would've gone down that season. Did we not go behind at Tynecastle as well??

Our support is as thin-skinned as the team. We can turn up in numbers most of the time and make a bit of noise when we’re ahead but the slightest bit of adversity in a game and they’re either silent or berating/taking the piss out of our own players.

The young team could take a leaf out of the likes Motherwell, St Mirren, St Johnstone etc in terms of actually vocally backing their side.

49 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

God...that day at Tynie...Dodds flicked winner just on Full time 🙂 What a bounce.

And that second goal v Utd by Shearer is still one of my all time favourite Dons goals. 

...drifting away trying to forget this shitshow...

19 minutes ago, A96 said:

The term “game management” was routinely used by the McInnes haters as a derogatory stick to beat him with. And still is by them when they’re willing him to fail at Kilmarnock.

In much the same way as **** routinely trot out “sporting integrity” whenever they perceive anything done by the Scottish football authorities as being questionable.

McInnes was also criticised for his game management at times by people that didn't hate him as well. It's not like he didn't ever set up shop to defend a lead in a game we were comfortably in control of only to end up losing the lead and being unable to get back in the game.

I've said it before on this thread, but with the Livingston goalie being retrospectively punished, Aberdeen have had an unbelievable amount of decisions go against them this season.  We are 9th in the league because we are a poor team and that's where we deserve to be but if these things even out over the course of the season we must be due a shed load of luck in the final four matches.

43 minutes ago, A96 said:

In much the same way as **** routinely trot out “sporting integrity” whenever they perceive anything done by the Scottish football authorities as being questionable not to Rangers' advantage.

There

The Dons fans knew the direction McCormack was taking the club after McInnes.
Goodwin is a fantasy football manager he takes the best of the rest.
Look what he did at St Mirren, Tait (Motherwell)Shaunessay (St Johnstone)Power and Kilty (Killy) to name a few.
The question is can he do the same at Aberdeen? 

We have been pretty shit for long spells of this season, but the huge decisions that have gone against have cost us dearly. Two major decisions, or non decisions, are glaringly obvious. Away to Hibs in Maloney’s first match and midway through the first half Porteous commits a foul which is retrospectively given a red card. So Hibs should be down to 10 men for three quarters of the match, and the player who was later proven should not have been on the pitch scores the winner. Then on Saturday with the score at 0-0, it has now been proven that the opposition keeper should have been red carded and a penalty awarded to Aberdeen. Again we should have been playing against 10 men for more than half the match. Two matches where we got no points, instead of potentially six. Fine margins.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

We have been pretty shit for long spells of this season, but the huge decisions that have gone against have cost us dearly. Two major decisions, or non decisions, are glaringly obvious. Away to Hibs in Maloney’s first match and midway through the first half Porteous commits a foul which is retrospectively given a red card. So Hibs should be down to 10 men for three quarters of the match, and the player who was later proven should not have been on the pitch scores the winner. Then on Saturday with the score at 0-0, it has now been proven that the opposition keeper should have been red carded and a penalty awarded to Aberdeen. Again we should have been playing against 10 men for more than half the match. Two matches where we got no points, instead of potentially six. Fine margins.

I hope it's in your notebook David.

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The Dons fans knew the direction McCormack was taking the club after McInnes.
Goodwin is a fantasy football manager he takes the best of the rest.
Look what he did at St Mirren, Tait (Motherwell)Shaunessay (St Johnstone)Power and Kilty (Killy) to name a few.
The question is can he do the same at Aberdeen? 

Something tells me you aren't very good at Fantasy Football.

14 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Not convinced the penalty would be awarded, the perceived obstruction happened before the assault.  

34 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

We should've been playing against 10 men more than half the game at Tannadice, but had that advantage for only a few minutes , thanks to the scandalous red card for Ojo.