The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

The regime change was part of the move away from having a side that’s built on a solid base, to be replaced with this open attacking philosophy c/o chairman Dave and having the ear of the twitter moaners seemingly above all others.

We have succeeded in being open I suppose - and every other manager in this league knows it, and routinely manage to pick us off when the moment inevitably presents itself.

I believe Goodwin was the right appointment, but he’s unfortunately now got this squad of soft-centred sensitive huffy petted lips to deal with against sides that will be up for a scrap.

What is it about the appointment of Goodwin that makes you think it was the right appointment?

8 minutes ago, starryfish said:

What is it about the appointment of Goodwin that makes you think it was the right appointment?

I think he was at the right point in his career to make the step up (in terms of club size). I think he's a natural leader of men and should have the team organised, fit and back to what a club of our size needs to be in terms of how to achieve league consistency (hopefully in the top flight !). I also like that he's been ruthless in his squad building, albeit possible only fear is alienating some outbound players when he still needs a turn from them.

23 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

His time was up. The most important thing was to replace him with an experienced manager with a reputation of playing entertaining, attacking winning football. 

FTFY

3 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

I'm going on a small sample size here of two starts and a second half against Livi but Jack MacKenzie was really impressive in those appearances. I'm surprised he hasn't become first choice left back.

Felt McKenzie was the best home player yesterday. Back to his best from earlier in the season.

14 hours ago, Rodhull said:

That's down to the appointment of Glass being terrible not getting rid of McInnes. The form that got McInnes sacked was just as bad as we're playing now.

It's unreal this has to be explained multiple times.

It's like having to explain that we didn't avoid relegation because Falkirk couldn't be arsed building a stadium. 

11 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Is it really intriguing? A manager is judged on current form by boardroom, media and supporters alike.

For instance, Willie Miller had us playing some of the best football I've witnessed at Pittodrie but by 1994/95 he was leading us to relegation.  Miller wasn't judged on what he'd done previously, he was judged on where we were headed.

We won well in Stavanger (in front of an empty stadium) but I don't what the etc means. We were abysmal in Lisbon when the home side looked vulnerable.

This, 'Lisbon were there for the taking' idea, is absolute fucking nonsense. They went on to win their first Portuguese title in nearly 20 years, losing only one league game out of 34, but aye, Aberdeen should've won there. If losing to Sporting was a failure for McInnes, what were people really expecting?

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

This, 'Lisbon were there for the taking' idea, is absolute fucking nonsense. They went on to win their first Portuguese title in nearly 20 years, losing only one league game out of 34, but aye, Aberdeen should've won there. If losing to Sporting was a failure for McInnes, what were people really expecting?

True but from what I remember it was their first competitive game and they had a significant number of players missing due to covid so it was probably as good a chance as Aberdeen were going to have for a game like that. They got horsed out of Europe a week later too.

Still not a result I would particularly use as an example of Mcinnes' poor performance that season though.

I see that the SPFL channel on You Tube have your score at the weekend as 1-3. 😆

Anyway, as I like to pop in here now and again (interest in the thread). My take as a neutral....Jim looks like he has entered Pittodrie as 'wha in cherg here' attitude. Taken no prisoners, however, it doesn't look like its the correct approach. Many of the player look like they are struggling with confidence than they were under Glass.  Are they all looking over their shoulder thinking 'am I next oot the door'?

Looking forward to the game on Saturday.😉

As a manger with a 33% win record, did you really expect better?

35 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

I see that the SPFL channel on You Tube have your score at the weekend as 1-3. 😆

Anyway, as I like to pop in here now and again (interest in the thread). My take as a neutral....Jim looks like he has entered Pittodrie as 'wha in cherg here' attitude. Taken no prisoners, however, it doesn't look like its the correct approach. Many of the player look like they are struggling with confidence than they were under Glass.  Are they all looking over their shoulder thinking 'am I next oot the door'?

I’d take the 33% win record for a start. 

35 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

If Jim Goodwin was a manger our results may be a bit more stable.

4 hours ago, Rodhull said:

True but from what I remember it was their first competitive game and they had a significant number of players missing due to covid so it was probably as good a chance as Aberdeen were going to have for a game like that. They got horsed out of Europe a week later too.

Still not a result I would particularly use as an example of Mcinnes' poor performance that season though.

I understand that but I wonder if there are folk on and Farikal and Glogg lamenting the fact that Viking were in the middle of their season and the Dons had only played a handful of competitive games. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

Watching Sportscene last night and there was a reminder of that important attribute in any top flight squad in our league - the EPL loanee.

Whether we like it or not, that is a modern reality, and the importance of signing dudes and not duds. 

We have clearly benefited in the past, but when you watch Levitt and Simms and then think Longstaff and Samuels, then another reason can be ticked off at why this season has been such a monumental failure.  

Thankfully JG's main one was Ronan. His goals are probably a significant part of the reason he's now our manager.

54 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

I wonder what the year will be when Aberdeen fans will stop talking about McInnes 

I still remember Alex Smith being talked about well into the 2000’s so we probably have a fair bit to go :( 

I'm still talking about Tommy Pearson, ffs...

12 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Watching Sportscene last night and there was a reminder of that important attribute in any top flight squad in our league - the EPL loanee.

Whether we like it or not, that is a modern reality, and the importance of signing dudes and not duds. 

We have clearly benefited in the past, but when you watch Levitt and Simms and then think Longstaff and Samuels, then another reason can be ticked off at why this season has been such a monumental failure.  

Thankfully JG's main one was Ronan. His goals are probably a significant part of the reason he's now our manager.

This is quite an odd post to me. I don’t think any successful premiership squad has to have a good EPL loanee. Other than Maddison/ward have we really had much success with them in the past or been key to us?

By all means utilise the market if it makes sense but longstaff should be a good reminder that they really aren’t the be all and end all.

The key for any team is just more broadly to get recruitment right. Ours has just been abysmal from pretty much every market we’ve looked in. 

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This is quite an odd post to me. I don’t think any successful premiership squad has to have a good EPL loanee. Other than Maddison/ward have we really had much success with them in the past or been key to us?

By all means utilise the market if it makes sense but longstaff should be a good reminder that they really aren’t the be all and end all.

The key for any team is just more broadly to get recruitment right. Ours has just been abysmal from pretty much every market we’ve looked in. 

Thanks - I like odd posts.

Michael Hector would be another example of where it worked well.

I know we don't necessarily have to go down this route, but if we don't, others will. If you get it right, it can be a win-win in terms of having a level of quality you'd never otherwise have, and the club down south benefits from the player getting game time in a league ranked in UEFA's top dozen (apparently).

Hearts seem to have this hotline to massive strikers who are effective in this league - and the guy Simms has clearly made a telling contribution there. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Logan and Reynolds were both with with us on loan initially , and both became very good and important players for us , although Reynolds wasn’t really an unknown quantity compared to most loanees from England. 

I know they weren’t EPL players , but then neither was Maddison (I think).  Debateable as well as to whether his spell with us was much of a success.  A great individual talent , obviously but not a team player at that time.  We became a vastly improved team that season more or less as soon as Maddison was dropped a few games before his loan period finished.

Actually incredible to think how good a team we had that we were better without Maddison.  Eye bleeding , negative football indeed.

It's funny to see some pining for McInnes when most of the players we've decided are the problem were his signings.

Gallagher (allegedly), Hayes, Lewis, McGeouch, Kennedy and McLennan have either let the side down too often or been a waste of a wage. 

Rather than looking to get some young prospects signed, we'd be looking to the English lower Leagues again.

Derek's gone, move on. 

11 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

They were there for the taking as much as Sporting in Lisbon will ever be there for the taking for Aberdeen.

We sat in when slightly more adventurous and aggressive tactics might have gave Sporting something to think about.

As it was, we limped out of Europe.

I'm not using this match as stick to beat McInnes (although it was another example of a far too negative approach during his final season)with but someone mentioned Stavanger which triggered my memories about Sporting.

I did use the word abysmal which was too far and which I now retract.

Our angry twitter brigade have 'moved on' to a new target now it seems.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/8756396/aberdeen-goodwin-sectarian-abuse-dons-fan-******/

Interesting that the weegia tabloid in question choose to use one random post, likely from some wee plooky bare-ankled type lacking in braincells, as a reason to cite that sectarianism isn't just a west coast problem.