The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

@Casagolda linked to an article from our HoR in our thread the other day, basically talking about how the Exemptions Panel being made permanent up here means we can be "creative" in the territories we're able to look for recruitment.

It's worth a read: https://blog.transferroom.com/brexit-opening-new-daws-in-recruitment-for-motherwell-fc

Cheers!

17 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Thought it was a decent interview, Hunter went fairly easy on him but it’s better than Mal doing it I suppose 

Think the Club is in good hands 

Myself and @Dons_1988have said several times that we're not big fans of Dave. He is trying to do the right things though.

Whether that's too much, too soon, remains to be seen.

12 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Myself and @Dons_1988have said several times that we're not big fans of Dave. He is trying to do the right things though.

Whether that's too much, too soon, remains to be seen.

I’m certainly no cheerleader but despite the mistakes I still think he’s a refreshing anecdote to the dreariness of Milne

The Hernandez stuff and other uncertainties like it bore me now, some fans seem desperate for a conspiracy of some kind but I’m 99% sure any decisions DC makes, good or bad, always have the best interests of the club at heart

What I am more interested in is how the recruitment goes this summer 

We seem to have all the right structures and place and plenty irons in the fire 

Will be interesting to see how it plays out 

25 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

I’m certainly no cheerleader but despite the mistakes I still think he’s a refreshing anecdote to the dreariness of Milne

The Hernandez stuff and other uncertainties like it bore me now, some fans seem desperate for a conspiracy of some kind but I’m 99% sure any decisions DC makes, good or bad, always have the best interests of the club at heart

What I am more interested in is how the recruitment goes this summer 

We seem to have all the right structures and place and plenty irons in the fire 

Will be interesting to see how it plays out 

Aye. To me there was nothing in the Hernandez stuff. I genuinely think the plan was to sell him to a team in England or Europe. When the pandemic hit and he was homesick, on his own then he wanted back home. We had the link up with Atlanta there which made it easier for him. I certainly don't think there was some long game where we were keeping him for a year (and not playing him) before he could go to Atlanta.

Same as Glass. We weren't having him coach us so that he could eventually go over to Atlanta and take the head coach role there. Nonsense.

Edited by Merkland Red

18 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Cheers!

Incidentally, your lot were apparently involved in the TransferRoom networking thing that Daws was talking about in that blog along with ourselves and Hibs: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/3-scottish-premiership-sides-accelerate-26462031

It was us, Hibs and Rangers last year: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-hibs-motherwells-transferroom-ticket-24305484

38 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Incidentally, your lot were apparently involved in the TransferRoom networking thing that Daws was talking about in that blog along with ourselves and Hibs: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/3-scottish-premiership-sides-accelerate-26462031

It was us, Hibs and Rangers last year: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-hibs-motherwells-transferroom-ticket-24305484

It sounds ridiculous but you really need to be jumping on any opportunity like this to get ahead of the competition, IMO.

Dave gets little digs in at Derek McInnes and Stewart Milne every so often. The other day he mentioned us "gambling on English lower league players" in the past. He's not wrong.

45 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It sounds ridiculous but you really need to be jumping on any opportunity like this to get ahead of the competition, IMO.

Dave gets little digs in at Derek McInnes and Stewart Milne every so often. The other day he mentioned us "gambling on English lower league players" in the past. He's not wrong.

Aye, in our case signing players from the Norwegian, Belgian and Danish leagues felt like an massive curveball that I don't think any of us saw coming especially off the back of Robinson's tenure where it had got to the stage you could pretty much predict the type of player we'd be targeting before they'd even signed (which was largely successful tbf). Quick and can play "anywhere across the front 3"? Sign here please.

I genuinely haven't a fucking clue what profile of players we'll be targeting this summer whereas previously you could have accurately predicted a bunch of PCAs we'd have lined up when Robinson was at the club.

Burrows did an MFC Podcast last summer where he outlined that recruitment was going to be different this season compared to what we had been used to under Robinson and while it wasn't a dig, he highlighted the pros and cons of how Robinson approached recruitment, it seemed like a considered change in strategy. 

The fact we seemed to have been willing (and honest enough) to take a step back and evaluate what we got right and wrong in that sort of area was actually pretty refreshing to hear and being open to different opportunities rather than just stick with the diminishing returns from doing the same thing season on season.

Edited by capt_oats

The 'widen your recruitment net' idea has been pushed on our fans' forums for as long as I can remember.  As if some glaringly obvious piece of good sense has been mysteriously ignored by the people in charge of the club.

As opposed to the truth which is that football professionals, whose livelihood depends on getting this kind of thing right, think carefully and hard about the pros and cons and have come to a different view.

Everyone knows that by going abroad you can source players who are better on paper for similar money.

But they are not "that" much better - if they were we still couldn't afford them.  And more importantly you increase your risk from cultural differences.  They don't know Scotland, they don't know the Scottish game - they don't know what they are letting themselves in for etc. 

Under McInnes we decided that on balance that British players were a better bet. 

Interestingly, during his time in charge Hearts took the opposite view.  Whereas we tended to play safe with British guys they were seduced by the idea that the stats showed you could get more for your money abroad.

We easily outperformed Hearts during that period.  While they often looked like a good collection of players on paper, we had better teams. 

We'll see how this plays out but it looks to me yet another example of Cormack thinking he knows better than the professionals when all he's come up with is another piece of fans'-forum level "insight".  I'm not optimistic.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

It's almost as if "football professionals" aren't some homogeneous block and will occasionally have divergent approaches and opinions. 

As I made clear in my post. Hearts, also run by football professionals, came to a different view.

The evidence, I think, suggests our guys got it right.

Edited by Game of throw-ins

3 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

As I made clear in my post. Hearts, also run by football professionals, came to a different view.

The evidence, I think, suggests our guys got it right.

But you surely can't judge all overseas recruitment from that limited and selective a sample? That would be like looking at some of Hearts' successful overseas recruitment from the mid-noughties and arriving at a different but equally flawed conclusion. There are so many different factors at play. I don't think anybody is seriously arguing that looking at foreign markets is a guaranteed route to success, but that it is now prudent to expand our horizons if possible. I expect hits and misses, as I will with the domestic (or British Isles-based) recruitment that we will undoubtedly continue to do. 

6 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

The 'widen your recruitment net' idea has been pushed on our fans' forums for as long as I can remember.  As if some glaringly obvious piece of good sense has been mysteriously ignored by the people in charge of the club.

As opposed to the truth which is that football professionals, whose livelihood depends on getting this kind of thing right, think carefully and hard about the pros and cons and have come to a different view.

Everyone knows that by going abroad you can source players who are better on paper for similar money.

But they are not "that" much better - if they were we still couldn't afford them.  And more importantly you increase your risk from cultural differences.  They don't know Scotland, they don't know the Scottish game - they don't know what they are letting themselves in for etc. 

Under McInnes we decided that on balance that British players were a better bet. 

Interestingly, during his time in charge Hearts took the opposite view.  Whereas we tended to play safe with British guys they were seduced by the idea that the stats showed you could get more for your money abroad.

We easily outperformed Hearts during that period.  While they often looked like a good collection of players on paper, we had better teams. 

We'll see how this plays out but it looks to me yet another example of Cormack thinking he knows better than the professionals when all he's come up with is another piece of fans'-forum level "insight".  I'm not optimistic.

I thought that it was all about rationalising the cost of the scouting network