The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

37 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Campbell is “great”… is he? 

And he got a decent run under Sheerin & initially under Glass.

Dont think he is Premiership level personally. 

He said "when he's confident".

I know for a fact that his is shot to shit.

46 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Campbell is “great”… is he? 

And he got a decent run under Sheerin & initially under Glass.

Dont think he is Premiership level personally. 

Yeah I've seen him play really well on occasion. He wasn't trusted by McInnes who was only giving him a few minutes when games were already won which may have affected his confidence.

He's easily a premiership player, just needs a manager who believes in him and gives him a good run of games (actually at centre mid, not filling in at full back).

13 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

McLennan isn’t even a Championship player. 
League One IMO.

Still holding out for the Martin Boyle style transformation from fast jobber into a consistently effective player.

Sadly in each passing appearance, that trajectory to Forfar or Peterhead looks more and more likely.

I thought he actually did ok at right-back in a couple of games.............but he is completely shot to pieces as any kind of creative force.  I remember as a youngster there was promise there, but he now looks like he has lost the basics such as ball control and spatial awareness.

20 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I remember as a youngster there was promise there, but he now looks like he has lost the basics such as ball control and spatial awareness.

His ball control and spatial awareness were always awful. As a 17/18 year old those are excusable as he was direct and keen to take folk on, as a 22 year old having a first touch that ends up 10yds ahead, running the ball out of play or standing on/tripping over the ball to ruin a good opportunity aren't really excusable any more.

31 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Still holding out for the Martin Boyle style transformation from fast jobber into a consistently effective player.

Sadly in each passing appearance, that trajectory to Forfar or Peterhead looks more and more likely.

I thought he actually did ok at right-back in a couple of games.............but he is completely shot to pieces as any kind of creative force.  I remember as a youngster there was promise there, but he now looks like he has lost the basics such as ball control and spatial awareness.

This also seems to have affected Jonny Hayes, usually when players get older its the footballing ability that they maintain but Hayes seems to have lost that as well.

2 hours ago, GTG_03 said:

Yeah I've seen him play really well on occasion. He wasn't trusted by McInnes who was only giving him a few minutes when games were already won which may have affected his confidence.

He's easily a premiership player, just needs a manager who believes in him and gives him a good run of games (actually at centre mid, not filling in at full back).

Confidence and mental strength can be the difference between a successful player and one that doesn't make the grade. A manager can only give him so much, the player himself needs to dig deep and find that swagger which will give the manager confidence in the player.

Whether he is or not, Campbell looks soft and, unfortunately,  that's not ideal in the dark ages that Scottish football resides in.

I think he should've loaned out as a younger player to give him more of a streetwise edge. He looks and plays like he's been overly protected, unwilling to take a chance on the pitch, but rather play it safe. A player needs to mix it up now and again to keep the opposition on their toes.*

*But he did show that determination to get into the box when he scored at Livingston on one of his first appearances. Perhaps an over-cautious manager has been partly to blame for the player's on-pitch caution, which makes the decision to return the player to the manager that held him back all the more baffling from Campbell's perspective.

I'm sure I read that Arbroath was interested. I think that would've been a good move for him.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

40 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Confidence and mental strength can be the difference between a successful player and one that doesn't make the grade. A manager can only give him so much, the player himself needs to dig deep and find that swagger which will give the manager confidence in the player.

Whether he is or not, Campbell looks soft and, unfortunately,  that's not ideal in the dark ages that Scottish football resides in.

I think he should've loaned out as a younger player to give him more of a streetwise edge. He looks and plays like he's been overly protected, unwilling to take a chance on the pitch, but rather play it safe. A player needs to mix it up now and again to keep the opposition on their toes.*

*But he did show that determination to get into the box when he scored at Livingston on one of his first appearances. Perhaps an over-cautious manager has been partly to blame for the player's on-pitch caution, which makes the decision to return the player to the manager that held him back all the more baffling from Campbell's perspective.

I'm sure I read that Arbroath was interested. I think that would've been a good move for him.

Arbroath interested in Dean? I think Cove would be interested too. Could see him playing alongside Fyvie.

If he leaves Aberdeen the lure of FT might rule out both us and Arbroath. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Mclennan was really direct, aggressive and exciting to watch when he first broke into the team. Just lacking in real quality. He’s totally lost that now, seems frightened to take men on and still lacks any quality. 

I think he was over coached tactically. He was all those things you mentioned, while the regulars were taking a man on and the cutting back on to their other foot to cross the ball in. He's regressed ever since that crept in to his game.

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I think he was over coached tactically. He was all those things you mentioned, while the regulars were taking a man on and the cutting back on to their other foot to cross the ball in. He's regressed ever since that crept in to his game.

Aye, he could impact a game particularly in stodgy games where we were struggling for any spark. That can be valuable even if the overall quality isn’t brilliant. 

7 minutes ago, the tungston weasel said:

Dean Campbell has been over rated since he broke through. I can see how he wants to play but he just isnt big enough or physical enough to pull it off.

And McInnes gave him plenty of game time.

Not really. Aberdeen left the reserve league as the kick off times were too close to the first team fixtures. Campbell missed almost a year of football. He couldn't play for the reserves incase he was needed for the first team. He didn't get many minutes for the first team as we had Ferguson and Shinnie. The manager also preferred to give minutes to experienced players who we knew were bad, if required. As far as I'm aware, he was also told he wasn't allowed to go out on loan. 

It's harsh to say he was mismanaged but he wasn't given plenty of game time at all.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye, he could impact a game particularly in stodgy games where we were struggling for any spark. That can be valuable even if the overall quality isn’t brilliant. 

Think a good example of this was a game against Livi at home that was near the start of Cosgrove's scoring run.

8 hours ago, HunterAFC said:

His ball control and spatial awareness were always awful. As a 17/18 year old those are excusable as he was direct and keen to take folk on, as a 22 year old having a first touch that ends up 10yds ahead, running the ball out of play or standing on/tripping over the ball to ruin a good opportunity aren't really excusable any more.

*Darren Mackie dislikes this*

10 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Arbroath interested in Dean? I think Cove would be interested too. Could see him playing alongside Fyvie.

If he leaves Aberdeen the lure of FT might rule out both us and Arbroath. 

Hmmmm, interesting, has Arbroath said they're remaining part-time even if they are promoted? I hope they do, when was the last time a part-time side played in the top league in Scotland? Gretna must've been full-time.

12 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Hmmmm, interesting, has Arbroath said they're remaining part-time even if they are promoted? I hope they do, when was the last time a part-time side played in the top league in Scotland? Gretna must've been full-time.

Good question, someone on here will know that answer I'm sure.

I'm not sure of Arbroath's intention. A truly PT team in the Premiership, not even hybrid, would have been unthinkable to nearly everyone at the start of the season.  IF they go up there are obviously big decisions to be made and a busy summer transfer window. 

I've heard we'll be PT next season but thereafter switch to hybrid.

Already wound up at the reference to ibrox (and this was hunter, not Dave) and that being the best football we’ve played as a club in a long time. 

The point though was that VAR would’ve seen us win. 1) I’m not sure VAR would’ve overturned those decisions, in fact I’m fairly certain they wouldn’t and 2) why is the question not about the fact we saw those performances a handful of times?