The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

We're in a very worrying place.

The goodish news is that I think the "expansive football" fantasy has been put to bed. Goodwin's interviews all point to him being a hard-line pragmatist and he wouldn't be saying the stuff he's saying if Cormack hadn't signed off on the change of approach.  But it does provoke the obvious question, wtf has the past year been about?  Couldn't Cormack have got to where he is now by thinking harder and respecting the opinions of football professionals instead of indulging this expensive, destructive and entirely predictably failed experiment?  Or by realising that his job isn't to pander to the on-line fruitcakes, it's to know better than them?

Because, even assuming we can avoid relegation, where we are now has the unmistakable whiff of shit creek.  Goodwin thinks he's a pragmatist but from the way he's talking about recruitment I think he's seriously underestimated the difficulty of bringing quality players to this club.  I predict he'll have a very different opinion in 2 or 3 months time.

Basically he needs to recruit almost an entire team.  Of the guys likely to be here next season I'd say only Barron, Besuijen and McCrorie look like reasonably solid positives, and two of them are inexperienced kids.  Bates, Gallagher and MacKenzie are first team possibles but they will be weak links unless they have much more consistent seasons next time.  Watkins is talented but fragile.  Hayes is questionable at full back and I'm not sure he has another year in him.

So we're probably going to have to sign 10 or more new faces.  And no club at our level will get that many new signings right.  If a successful signing is one that deservedly commands a first team place when fit, I'd guess our success rate is typically about 30%. If we get 50% Goodwin will have done very well.  And I still doubt that would be enough to deliver anything better than mid-table.

Even Goodwin does a good job - and that's a massive if - I think it'll take him 3 or 4 windows to to get us to the level we've taken for granted over the previous 8 seasons. By then Hearts, pumped up with European money that could have been ours, might be impossible to catch.  It really has been the most monumental clusterfuck.  And almost entirely self-inflicted.

Finding quality players willing to come to Aberdeen will not be an easy task, in particular a couple of decent strikers. We live in hope. Your solid positives are a decent shout. Even though he was being man marked, thought Barron did well again. Gallagher's been playing OK recently and I expect he may fit into Goodwin's style of play. Bates for me is just too erratic with his decision making - trying to play Griffiths offside at Dens first time round - still riles me!! Since MacKenzie came into the side last season, thought he was one of our most consistent performers each week up to his injury in October. Probably not helped by being wheeled out at Tannadice in November when we only had one CH. Don't think he's even played 180 mins in the league since and struggling for fitness. Hopefully he can get fully fit (pre-October) and provide at least an option.  I expect the plan will be to use Hayes only in a more advanced role next season - Goodwin was certainly keen to get him more advanced on Saturday. As for Watkins, another that needs to show more consistency but certainly a player that can turn a game (and I'm not meaning giving away stupid freekicks in the last minute against Dundee!!).    

1 hour ago, Sheepster said:

Finding quality players willing to come to Aberdeen will not be an easy task, in particular a couple of decent strikers. We live in hope. Your solid positives are a decent shout. Even though he was being man marked, thought Barron did well again. Gallagher's been playing OK recently and I expect he may fit into Goodwin's style of play. Bates for me is just too erratic with his decision making - trying to play Griffiths offside at Dens first time round - still riles me!! Since MacKenzie came into the side last season, thought he was one of our most consistent performers each week up to his injury in October. Probably not helped by being wheeled out at Tannadice in November when we only had one CH. Don't think he's even played 180 mins in the league since and struggling for fitness. Hopefully he can get fully fit (pre-October) and provide at least an option.  I expect the plan will be to use Hayes only in a more advanced role next season - Goodwin was certainly keen to get him more advanced on Saturday. As for Watkins, another that needs to show more consistency but certainly a player that can turn a game (and I'm not meaning giving away stupid freekicks in the last minute against Dundee!!).    

He had to get Hayes further up the park as it was one of the few alterations to the attacking end of the pitch that were at his disposal. That doesn’t mean that will be the plan next season though, as surely the squad will contain a better balance and therefore more attacking players that aren’t the size of Giant Haystacks.

We should have a decent amount to spend on players at least. Brown, Considine, McGeouch, Ojo, JET, Lewis all leaving could free up around 15-20k p/w with Jenks and Montgomery leaving also.

From there, I’d say we need:

1x first choice Goalkeeper

1x first choice centre back

1/2x players who can cover right/left back

1x backup centre midfielder

1x first team quality winger/forward

1x quality striker to compete with/replace Ramirez

If Ramsay or Ferguson are sold then we will obviously have to replace them too.

Huge summer recruitment-wise. I sincerely hope Mowbray and the scouting team have been putting in good work in these past few months and Goodwin has a couple of tricks up his sleeve.

28 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Clearly you haven't seen us much this season. 

On the contrary.  I've watched every game on RedTV this season.  To answer another poster's question around what I based my statement on, not sure really.  Call it blind optimism if you will because logically, of course, based on our record so far in 2022, we just don't seem capable enough.  I do like to think that maybe the players will realise what's at stake here.  Do I believe we will be relegated?  Absolutely not but there is no doubt about the significance of the task ahead.  I'm old enough to remember the clear out that Eddie Turnbull performed whenbhe arrived and I do feel we will see somerhing similar, although not 17 players, this off season.

15 hours ago, EdmontonDandy said:

I see we have two home games up first post split.  Livi and Dundee.  I  do believe we will get full points here.

Can't see it myself. Maybe one win, possibly two draws, more likely just one point.

10 hours ago, EdmontonDandy said:

On the contrary.  I've watched every game on RedTV this season.  To answer another poster's question around what I based my statement on, not sure really.  Call it blind optimism if you will because logically, of course, based on our record so far in 2022, we just don't seem capable enough.  I do like to think that maybe the players will realise what's at stake here.  Do I believe we will be relegated?  Absolutely not but there is no doubt about the significance of the task ahead.  I'm old enough to remember the clear out that Eddie Turnbull performed whenbhe arrived and I do feel we will see somerhing similar, although not 17 players, this off season.

So am I - Eddie didn't mess about. Took him a few years to sort things out - remember 1968/69? - I'm not sure my intial sake will get the same amount of time.

The list i've seen of our players going out of contract in the summer suggests that we only have Ojo, McGeogh and Ruth still to decide on along with a couple of sub standard loanees.

Is that list right? 

I'd be tempted to give Ruth another year to make it. Assume the other two will move on. 

Unless we sell anyone or otherwise move them on then we're probably looking at no more than four first team signings. 

Ferguson and Ramsay are saleable. We could possibly mutual consent Lewis and /or Ramirez if the rumblings about them wanting away are true but that would only free up wages and not fees. Everyone else is probably in the best gig they can get and would need paid off. 

I feel we're going to be disappointed by the scale of the rebuild over the summer. Hope not, but... 

Saw Chalky Whyte at a school run a wee while ago (Granda school run that is!) and checked his career out leading on to the subject of Turnbull type clear outs; the rebuild was a far different story then. Hard to believe but Aberdeen were in a worse state than they are now, not only finishing 12th but nowhere near the "best of the rest" in terms of wages and status. Turnbull came in Feb 65, the following season his key move was bringing in Melrose from Dunfermline about half way through (no window then) and had to fight the board for the 4k fee!  In 65-66 he brought in Clark and Millar from QP, Wilson from Morton, White from Hearts (exchange for Kerrigan IIRC?) and Mcmillan, Chalky and Jinky Smith from the juniors.  All of whom, except Millar, were first team regulars by the season end, some hit rate. It took a few years before good young loons like Buchan (for good read WC), Craig, Taylor, Graham etc came through along with signings like Forrest, Harper etc took us on to a great team that came second twice to an outstanding Celtic team.  Even then players like Hermiston and Robb came straight from the juniors.

I don't think JG is a Turnbull and he may not get as long to do the job required.  I live in hope however and will renew my ST this week on the basis that the only way is up, isn't it??

On 10/04/2022 at 08:40, williemillersmoustache said:

A bit self-serving and with any luck moot but, there is a certain nobility to getting relegated. To have tried but failed. To have competed fairly but come up short, and then to accept the consequences then rebuild. 

And as absolutely fucking hilarious as the Embra and Dundee yo-yos recent travails have been, they were at least conducted with some level of decorum and dare I say it dignity.

Aberdeen are in the bottom six because we deserve to be. We're not safe because we don't deserve to be safe and if the *actual shudder* unthinkable happens it will be because we deserve to get the drop.

I don't think it will but if it does, perhaps it will be the boot in the baws the club needs and we might even get some silverware out of it.  

But to see one of the forums leading zombie bores come in here and take the piss about relegation, something they have yet to experience despite the rolling, toe-curling, protracted and rancid disgrace their preferentially placed journey to their first experience of the top flight, demonstrates such a lack of self awareness it's embarrassing. Far more so than any club that finished in the drop zone due to sporting failure. 

Honestly, it's not that bad.

I'd take a relegation every ten years instead of just pottering about in the top flight doing f**k all.

Good away trips, you win a lot, there's decent novelty value to it.

Wouldn't want to get stuck down there, but if you get relegated this year, prepare for one of the most fun seasons you've had for years next season.

The last time we were down was a massive shrug of the shoulders with not being able to go to games etc, but 2014/15 completely reinvigorated my relationship with Hearts and football in general. Fucking loved it. People took the piss, obviously, but we enjoyed that season more than the folk taking the piss out of us. 100% would not swap that for another year of the same old same old.

Edited by VincentGuerin

21 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Honestly, it's not that bad.

I'd take a relegation every ten years instead of just pottering about in the top flight doing f**k all.

Wouldn't want to get stuck down there, but if you get relegated this year, prepare for one of the most fun seasons you've had for years next season.

The last time we were down was a massive shrug of the shoulders with not being able to go to games etc, but 2014/15 completely reinvigorated my relationship with Hearts and football in general. Fucking loved it. People took the piss, obviously, but we enjoyed that season more than the folk taking the piss out of us. 100% would not swap that for another year of the same old same old.

You probably enjoyed it as much because you beat the **** and Hibs to the title though.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

You probably enjoyed it as much because you beat the **** and Hibs to the title though.

That certainly added to the experience, no question.

But the whole season just had a much more fun feel to it.

Off to Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, Alloa, QotS for league games. Standing at league matches, big supports everywhere, new train journeys and new local pubs to go to, a few big wins with plenty of goals.

Even without the stickies and the tramps, it would have been great. Not a chance I'd give it up for another season in the top flight. I've seen dozens of those. Miss out on the Championship bantz for one more year of trooping off to Fir Park and McDiarmid?

Comes down to what you want from football and what you find enjoyable. For people who don't go, maybe it was a disaster. But it was loads of fun.

26 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Absolutely f**k that 

Would not swap the hum drum of shitfests against Motherwell and St Johnstone just to pump Ayr and Morton for a novelty season

Gads min 

2 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Absolutely f**k that 

Would not swap the hum drum of shitfests against Motherwell and St Johnstone just to pump Ayr and Morton for a novelty season

Gads min 

Interesting. Do you go to away games?

If so, that's a surprising view.

We're all different, I suppose. But for me the fitba is about different experiences with your mates and doing fun things. I've seen Hearts win and lose cup finals, derbies, challenge for the league, play all over Europe in the Yoofa and CWC. The Championship season was just one more thing to do, and it was a right laugh. Definitely something I'm glad happened. And it's not just with hindsight. We knew it at the time.

Definitely not worth missing out on to go to Motherwell a couple more times.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Oh ffs the yo yo sides are coming in to tell us it’s not that bad to be relegated.

I hope you’re happy with yourself, Dave cormack! 

Spot on!  Cove, Peterheid, Brechin and Montrose all readily accessible for lower league fix.  Dundee even.