The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Can I just say that as bad as I feel tonight after sitting through that performance today, one thing is giving me a tad of light relief and that’s Hibs also being in the bottom six. I know it’s petty, I know it means nothing, but it gives me a little bit of happiness. 

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Why?

The run of form, performances and the general awfulness up front at the end of his time was as bad as anything we saw this season.

There were huge mitigating factors though. 

- losing Wright

- losing Cosgrove

- losing Watkins

- injuries to Hedges

- Lewis, arguably our best player for several previous seasons, completely unexpectedly turning into an accident always waiting to happen.  There were at least 4 games where we were looking much the better side until Lewis chucked one in and we lost.  That was massive for our season.

- The failure of Cormack to back his manager in January, after we'd pretty much lost all our entire creative and goal threat to injuries and transfers.  Authority to look for replacements was withheld until the final day of the window, by which time we were reduced to desperately signing rubbish.  This was deliberate sabotage by a chairman of a manager he wanted rid of because he wasn't enough of a yes man.  We're still paying the price for his naivety and vanity.  Following McInnes's demise the same chairman found money to back his protege Glass more extravagantly than any Aberdeen manager in decades.  We know how that panned out.

Despite all this, we still finished fourth and qualified for Europe last season.

There's no good reason to think that following a  summer recruitment where he was backed in the way Glass was McInnes wouldn't have been able to drastically improve the side that finished last season.  At the start of last season, before his team was stripped of much of its quality by events outside his control, we were playing good football and getting good results.

Edited by Game of throw-ins

18 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Can I just say that as bad as I feel tonight after sitting through that performance today, one thing is giving me a tad of light relief and that’s Hibs also being in the bottom six. I know it’s petty, I know it means nothing, but it gives me a little bit of happiness. 

Nope as we will probably have to go to Easter Road again and lose.

I really do now think it's between ourselves and St Mirren for 11th. I really can't see where a win is coming from. 

The players don't seem to respect Goodwin with a number of them (Ferguson and Ramirez especially so today) going through the motions and subbing McCrorie and Watkins for MacKenzie and McLennan was absolutely idiotic management.

I am now seriously worried we might be relegated.

6 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

- losing Wright

- losing Cosgrove

- losing Watkins

- injuries to Hedges

- Lewis, arguably our best player for several previous seasons, completely unexpectedly turning into an accident always waiting to happen.  There were at least 4 games where we were looking much the better side until Lewis chucked one in and we lost.  That was massive for our season.

- The failure of Cormack to back his manager in January, after we'd pretty much lost all our entire creative and goal threat to injuries and transfers.  Authority to look for replacements was withheld until the final day of the window, by which time we were reduced to desperately signing rubbish.  This was deliberate sabotage by a chairman of a manager he wanted rid of because he wasn't enough of a yes man.  We're still paying the price for his naivety and vanity.  Following McInnes's demise the same chairman found money to back his protege Glass more extravagantly than any Aberdeen manager in decades.  We know how that panned out.

Despite all this, we still finished fourth and qualified for Europe last season.

There's no good reason to think that following a  summer recruitment where he was backed in the way Glass was McInnes wouldn't have been able to drastically improve the side that finished last season.  At the start of last season, before his team was stripped of much of its quality by events outside his control, we were playing good football and getting good results.

Glass lost Hedges to injuries. Then he was sold. Ramsay and MacKenzie were injured for a long spell. Watkins was injured.

These things happen.

I certainly would not be trusting McInnes to make any signings either. McCrorie aside, I'm struggling to think of any other successes in his last two seasons. Hedges maybe? Bear in mind we got twelve good months over three seasons.

7 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Nope as we will probably have to go to Easter Road again and lose.

I really do now think it's between ourselves and St Mirren for 11th. I really can't see where a win is coming from. 

The players don't seem to respect Goodwin with a number of them (Ferguson and Ramirez especially so today) going through the motions and subbing McCrorie and Watkins for MacKenzie and McLennan was absolutely idiotic management.

I am now seriously worried we might be relegated.

You’re totally discounting St Johnstone, who are 6 points and a huge goal difference behind us? By the way, if it wasn’t Hibs in the bottom six, it would be Motherwell and we have a fantastic record against them this season.

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You’re totally discounting St Johnstone, who are 6 points and a huge goal difference behind us? By the way, if it wasn’t Hibs in the bottom six, it would be Motherwell and we have a fantastic record against them this season.

Yes as I expect St Johnstone to win at least 3 of their last 5 games

- losing Wright
- losing Cosgrove
- losing Watkins
- injuries to Hedges

Let’s not pretend that McInnes wasn’t backed by Cormack. He had bigger budgets under Cormack than he ever had under Milne, even after Covid. His recruitment from about 2017 onwards was terrible.

McInnes was a very good manager for us but it was time for him to go, regardless of how this season has turned out.

3 hours ago, Munoz said:

Being serious, it was always going to be a tough gig for JG going at this stage of the season. Aberdeen have probably underachieved for most of the season before he came in. To think by bringing in someone with not much experience or success was going to somehow turn things around, shows a level of naivety.  

Goodwin would have been better placed staying with us till the end of the season, and undoubtedly would have left us in the top 6.

His reputation would have been far greater for it. 

It was going to be a tough gig regardless of when he joined. To be a success at Aberdeen you need to play attractive football and have a better record than McInnes. Goodwin won’t last that long.