The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

51 minutes ago, 72redz said:

Is Langfield a poor or good goalkeeper coach? Surely thats ah that maters? Like top players dinna aye mhak good coaches or managers - same for keepers. Leighton was a wonderful keeper but shit keeper coach

I’m being a bit flippant, I even felt sorry for the guy for the level of abuse when he got with us. 

But by f**k did he annoy the hell out of me. It’s not his fault but the fact he was our keeper for so long was just a sad indictment of our standards then. I have no idea how good a coach he is tbf. 

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m being a bit flippant, I even felt sorry for the guy for the level of abuse when he got with us. 

But by f**k did he annoy the hell out of me. It’s not his fault but the fact he was our keeper for so long was just a sad indictment of our standards then. I have no idea how good a coach he is tbf. 

St Mirren fans reckon he's very highly thought of as a coach. Let's be honest he hasn't done a bad job with Hladky or Alnwick. 

Is his Mrs not from Aberdeen aswell? 

47 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

St Mirren fans reckon he's very highly thought of as a coach. Let's be honest he hasn't done a bad job with Hladky or Alnwick. 

Is his Mrs not from Aberdeen aswell? 

59 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I noticed the last time I watched Alnwick play (cup tie at Hearts), he tried to do that thing that Langfield tried to do when he was with us (& invariably failed).

He ran quickly to the edge of his box, & tried to take a quick kick with the outside of his foot, only to slice it miles from the intended target. 

15 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

No way it’s going to be that extensive. We have a lot more decent players in our squad now than there were when Eddie took over.

As well as the ones the manager wants to cut loose there'll be some who, for a variety of reasons, want to move on.  If we add the two groups together we may be looking at a pretty substantial clear out.

Ferguson - surely will go

Ramsey - will probably go

Ramirez - man of many clubs, Glass probably the reason he's here

Lewis - I doubt the keepers we're being linked with are coming here as back-up, he won't want to stay as a number 2, my guess is he goes

JET - clearly out of favour, quite likely to go

Ojo - I don't think he's Goodwin's type of player, decent technically but shirks responsibility

Campbell - major disappointment at Kilmarnock,  does he really have a future here?

Kennedy - has largely been a disappointment

Gallagher - disappointing to date and linked with Dundee

Considine - can he bounce back from that injury at his age? - we may know the answer by the end of the season.

McLennan - Can't remember when he last played well enough to justify selection

Devlin - permanently injured

Obviously I'm not saying all those guys will go but it's amazing how many players it's easy to imagine will either want to leave or we'd be reasonably happy to be rid of. 

11 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

As well as the ones the manager wants to cut loose there'll be some who, for a variety of reasons, want to move on.  If we add the two groups together we may be looking at a pretty substantial clear out.

Lewis - I doubt the keepers we're being linked with are coming here as back-up, he won't want to stay as a number 2, my guess is he goes

Ojo - I don't think he's Goodwin's type of player, decent technically but shirks responsibility

Campbell - major disappointment at Kilmarnock,  does he really have a future here?

Considine - can he bounce back from that injury at his age? - we may know the answer by the end of the season.

Obviously I'm not saying all those guys will go but it's amazing how many players it's easy to imagine will either want to leave or we'd be reasonably happy to be rid of. 

You make a fair number of good points there, but no way in the world is Gallagher going to Dundee!

Having a squad of decent players is fine but if they don't fit how the manager wants to play, it's somewhat pointless. 

It's no coincidence our best spell over the past 20 years has been with a core squad of 12-15 players who can all slot into a system.

11 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You make a fair number of good points there, but no way in the world is Gallagher going to Dundee!

Agreed, Gallagher is decent/good centre back. I think his recent interview shows he’s had his share o problems since signing - Goodwin will stick with him rest o this season - be very surprised if he’s nae here next season

Edited by 72redz

28 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

If it was up to me, & in an ideal world I’d let these go (& I’m aware a good few have contracts)

Lewis - gives me the fear now.     
Devlin - we’ve been more than generous.  
MacKenzie - loan him out.     
Campbell - not good enough.    
Ojo      
McGeouch.  Can’t rely on his fitness
JET.  
McLennan.   
Kennedy   

Jenks & Montgomery will return to their clubs

Ferguson - will be sold. The time is right for both him & club (£££’s)

Ramirez - think he’ll want to leave

That’s 13 players & realistically I think 10 could be away.

3 minutes ago, 72redz said:

As I predicted, the other names I was given are currently in the squad so maybe keeping them quiet jist noo

Aye, he might need a turn out of the likes of McGeouch, maybe be even this weekend. 

Having said that players aren’t that daft. They know if there’s no contract talks been had by now, they’re asking their agents to look around for a possible new club. 

15 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

no way in the world is Gallagher going to Dundee!

Not now, but it nearly happened in January by all accounts.  Which suggests both club and player were very close to the point of no return.  However I also agree that the change of manager and a few reasonably decent performances may have changed perspectives.

22 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I get the feeling that Goodwin likes McLennan. 

So do I, but seeing how he's performed in matches my guess is that it must based on how he performs in training.  Unless he starts playing a lot better in actual games I think Goodwin will get disillusioned sooner rather than later.