The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

I would disagree a bit here Aberdeen have on average had on average the 3rd biggest budget and have signed many proven players off clubs in the league because they can offer more money so those signings shouldn’t really be classified as ‘punts’. Also every club in the league generally lose their better players my team included it’s making sure you get cash for them at the right time and the fraction of that you re-invest is done correctly.

Do AFC still have the 3rd highest budget these days? I would have guessed Hearts have more financial clout these days, with their redeveloped stadium and the rich benefactor (Anderson?). Certainly have far bigger season ticket numbers and home crowds.

Just now, big al said:

Do AFC still have the 3rd highest budget these days? I would have guessed Hearts have more financial clout these days, with their redeveloped stadium and the rich benefactor (Anderson?). Certainly have far bigger season ticket numbers and home crowds.

Edit to add plus the foundation of Hearts will have more members than the DNA.

Hearts are at least 5 years ahead of AFC on most fronts at the moment. 

Just now, big al said:

I think you are right enough, but was going by average of the past decade or so. They have turned it around this season but given the cash floating with FoHs is absolutely criminal they got relegated again with that budget. 

20 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

More than likely that's a factor. Football in general just doesn't interest me anymore. It's only my love for the Dons that has kept me going this long, but even that is waning now. At risk of sounding like a da, it's just not the same sport as it was when I was young.

I certainly get mair enjoyment fae Big Match Revisited than Match o the Day. I preferred tae watch the Arbroath game than the Man Utd game on Friday nicht. Sky era fitba dis nithin for me. Then there’s the Dons…I guess the fact I started watching the Dons regularly in the Bonthrone years means I started with the lows and it’s been a rollercoast iver since. I feel that if I was tae give up noo, I’d be giving up on a massive pairt o my ain biography. I do have a dilemma whether I should inflict this on my 7 yr auld loon fah frankly barely tolerates visits tae Pittodrie. Apathetic mair than angry, resigned tae extended frustration and a desire tae share that with ma loon means I’m reed til am deid.

28 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

If you think Michael Ruth is the answer up front for the Dons, I’d be asking a different question. 

Nae suggesting he is. My point is that I think Glass’ only saving might be tae have a team o young lads bringing energy and enthusiasm even if results dinna improve that much, at least it would seem tae fit with the ‘development model’. Ojo, Jet, McGeouch, Gallagher and recent games apart, Hayes have offered nithin in terms o the original plan aroon developing a young side. I think folk wid be mair accepting o this being a transition season if that wis the case.

I’m not sure but finishing ahead of them 10-ish years in a row, more trips to Hampden, European qualification will have meant we’ve brought in more than them. Our income from player sales and corporate hospitality will be higher than theirs too. Our playing budget has increased in the past couple of years too.

Given so much is now riding on Saturday’s cup tie, what we really need on Wednesday is to chase around a Celtic side that seem to be ‘scoring for fun’.

The limp exit to the jutes last season came on the back of a decent Pittodrie performance v Celtic.

Will squad rotation occur this week, or is the Raith debacle the end of any notion of that happening?

9 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Dave’s always said he’ll be transparent with the fans but the recent radio silence continues

Does anyone think he’s considering pulling the trigger?

I thought the lack of backing in January was quite telling 

I think a cup exit may just force his hand 

I realise that some fans are continually looking at everything that Cormack does or doesn’t do to have a go at him, but this continual “Dave’s always said he’ll be transparent with the fans” is becoming very wearing. Do you really expect him to come out with a statement after three pretty dire games. Get real.

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I realise that some fans are continually looking at everything that Cormack does or doesn’t do to have a go at him, but this continual “Dave’s always said he’ll be transparent with the fans” is becoming very wearing. Do you really expect him to come out with a statement after three pretty dire games. Get real.

Well, no

But he was quite happy to channel his inner Robin Hood during lockdown, has a go at Kenny McIntyre on the radio, promises a fans Q&A then disappears like snow off a dyke 

I think Alan Burrows is his template for being open with the fans but it seems all or nothing with Dave 

I like Cormack FWIW

6 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Decided not to bother watching the game yesterday, and instead went to the pub with a pal and watched the rugby. Great decision. Only football I watch these days is Aberdeen, and my enjoyment for watching the Dons is waning, so why bother?

Because it's what we do.

56 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Well, no

But he was quite happy to channel his inner Robin Hood during lockdown, has a go at Kenny McIntyre on the radio, promises a fans Q&A then disappears like snow off a dyke 

I think Alan Burrows is his template for being open with the fans but it seems all or nothing with Dave 

I like Cormack FWIW

Fair enough, but just because he doesn’t come out with a statement every time the club is going through a sticky patch isn’t not being transparent.