The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

He was forced in to playing that system last season. It worked. Then he no longer had the players to suit and he continued to try to play that way.

Derek was done. Move on, look to the future. Killie fans are already criticising his style of play.

His style of play may have been awful to watch but he was the master at the ugly win. I reckon he wouldn't have lost that game today as he would have made us hard to beat. That said I wasn't disappointed to see him go.

Today though was an utter shambles. That is an awful Livingston side and we played right into their hands. Glass is not the answer. 

I absolutely hate saying that any manager should be sacked, unlike others who seem to revel in it. Following on from some poor performances this season, the whole match against St Mirren and the first 50 odd minutes today have been atrocious. Basically, we have to win at Motherwell next Saturday to give Stephen Glass a hope of keeping part of our support on his side. If we lose that I think the majority will be after him to go, and for me that would be really sad. No idea who I would want to replace him, but whoever it is it’s safe to say that the fans of whoever he’s managed in his career would have been after him at some point. It’s a total gamble, and this time we appear to have lost.

It starts at the top and rots all the way to the bottom. 

Our players are cowards. Normally I don't make a big deal of who does/doesn't clap the fans but it's telling the young lad from Celtic and Hayes were the only two to go over and applaud, knowing they'd get their shit. 

The rest of them, IMO, don't have the bottle to play for this club when it's not going well. Before they had a manager who'd protect them at all costs, at the minute there's a guy who does keep it straight regarding the players and how they are performing. 

Don’t blame any of the team for not clapping the fans at the end. Fair enough if you’re not happy with the situation but booing them on for the second half, sarcastically cheering us passing the ball, singing “we’re f*cking sh*t” etc. is poor. Same thing from the Dons support for years, make a bit of noise at the start of the game or if we’re cruising but as soon as one thing goes wrong they’re on the players backs or sitting in silence. All this was happening at 1-0 down today.

You’ll see Motherwell, St Mirren, Livi all have a group of fans who actually back their team. Fair enough if we’re 3-0 down at the end of the game, voice your displeasure then. If we’re 1-0 down in a tight game on a sticky run and you’re berating the players then you deserve what you get.

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Not sure about the first paragraph.

Agree with the 2nd one. Steven Gunn, on looking in from the outside, appears as out of his depth as Glass. 

Who would you pick as Head Coach? 

I'd really want to see some of the names linked first. 

57 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

His style of play may have been awful to watch but he was the master at the ugly win. I reckon he wouldn't have lost that game today as he would have made us hard to beat. That said I wasn't disappointed to see him go.

Today though was an utter shambles. That is an awful Livingston side and we played right into their hands. Glass is not the answer. 

Except we lost loads of games like today under McInnes.

I've turned up to Pittodrie and seen us outplayed by Hamilton who were unlucky to only leave with a 1-0 victory because it could have been 5.

The only wye Glass can possibly survive is if we muddle on getting some sporadic results, maybe a competitive performance on Wednesday and squeeze a win next Seterday. But, he must start playing the younger players - get Ojo, Hayes, even Broon on the bench and start building a side aroon Barron, Mackenzie, Ramsay, McRorie, Bates, Besuijen, Ruth, Duncan…

5 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

There were a lot of reasons for that though.  The punishment for breaking the Covid regulations that got us of to a sluggish start because we were behind the rest in terms of match fitness (look what that did to Celtic's season). The injury to Watkins and him going back to his club.  The loss of Wright to Rangers.  Cosgrove injured, unsettled by the transfer speculation and then gone.  The injury to Hedges.  Cormack's, let's be honest, deliberate sabotage of the manager's attempts to find replacements for the players we'd lost in January, ending in panic signings late on on the final day, all of them completely useless. 

And with all that crap going on, remember we still managed 4th and qualified for Europe.

True and previous 4th place finishes were very close and exceptional circumstances. 

But he signed Curtis Main. 

Still, he never signed Jack Gurr. 

44 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Don’t blame any of the team for not clapping the fans at the end. Fair enough if you’re not happy with the situation but booing them on for the second half, sarcastically cheering us passing the ball, singing “we’re f*cking sh*t” etc. is poor. Same thing from the Dons support for years, make a bit of noise at the start of the game or if we’re cruising but as soon as one thing goes wrong they’re on the players backs or sitting in silence. All this was happening at 1-0 down today.

You’ll see Motherwell, St Mirren, Livi all have a group of fans who actually back their team. Fair enough if we’re 3-0 down at the end of the game, voice your displeasure then. If we’re 1-0 down in a tight game on a sticky run and you’re berating the players then you deserve what you get.

Yeah, I'm not usually keen on telling people how to support their team, especially when I wasn't at the game myself, but that's disappointing to read. Same with the "get to f**k" chants aimed at Glass when we lost at Dens Park - completely understand folk being angry, and a full day on the drink probably doesn't help matters in that regard, but it was a pretty embarrassing listen. 

Edited by DrewDon

The only wye Glass can possibly survive is if we muddle on getting some sporadic results, maybe a competitive performance on Wednesday and squeeze a win next Seterday. But, he must start playing the younger players - get Ojo, Hayes, even Broon on the bench and start building a side aroon Barron, Mackenzie, Ramsay, McRorie, Bates, Besuijen, Ruth, Duncan…

Hayes would be the last player I’d be dropping at the moment.

I don't think this is pant pishing but I'd be genuinely concerned if we finish in the bottom 6 that we could be dragged into a relegation battle. Thankfully Hibs and Utd are as bad as we are at the moment so we could scrape into the top half but the reality is that we are level on points with fucking St Mirren and Livingston. 

It reminds me of the season that Hibs lost the playoff to Hamilton when they just went into complete freefall in the new year. A hammering from Celtic and a loss to Motherwell in the cup suddenly makes the St Johnstone game at Pittodrie massive for not letting them potentially get within 4 points of us.

Can't believe that with the shite above us, I'm now more concerned what's happening below us. 

6 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Seen plenty games this season where the fans have backed the team right to the end while watching pretty dire stuff . We’re not different to any other ,when things go tits up and performance levels at are embarrassing levels which they are , then venom comes from the stand. Yesterday was bit over the top but it’s been building and the players and management have brought it on . Majority fans yesterday were the same faces at the last 3 games lot cash spent lot travelling .All we ask for is intent to win a game and  desire put in a shift . . How fucking slow have we started in each game. The mentality players have be questioned and more importantly Glass . Yesterday stick was coming but let’s pipe down that our support has caused this shit show we’re watching .

Il be be back  down for cup  game and they will get terrific backing next week regardless of Wednesday result . All we ask for is desire go win a game football .oh and and maybe start a game on the front foot that would be small ask eh.  The fans will be up for it. .all  we ask is for the players do the same . 

9 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Fair enough - but we need a manager that gets it, not a yes man with his heid in the clouds - as much as I liked Glass as a player.

Warts and all, Calderwood and McInnes are the only managers that have delivered the necessary level of league consistency since Willie’s first two seasons.

I just think that needs to be our base level and this away record is an absolute shocker (even the two wins were by lucky goals) - Ross, Goodwin, Neil, Lennon would all be possibles, but for some strange reason I think an option worth trying could be on the current payroll and his name’s Barry Robson.

Aye Looking back we played some great attacking fitba  under Willie .

still depresses me how it ended but there were some great games in that first full season so close to scooping some trophies up just wasn’t be

As for Robson good shout  aye why nae till the end season . Has as all the experience if not more of Glass 

But I’m still hanging on to that we’re going somehow going turn this around . Aye madness but that’s where I am 

7 hours ago, 72redz said:

Agree with a lot of that but certainly not Hayes. Gives 100 per cent every game, never hides and provides a lot of energy that’s not even dent enough in many others. Star man recently as well to be fair.

Really annoying that Montgomery started and Mackenzie on the bench, what is the point in that?

14 hours ago, 72redz said:

So, Glass gets ditched if we lose next week tae ‘Well - far dis that leave Broon? Oot o interest was Russell even in the dugoot the day?

14 hours ago, 72redz said:

Aye - said it afore, he’s a wrang een

13 hours ago, 72redz said:

If he didnae have a job wi us, wid he still be working with England? No, cos he was found oot. I dinna ken why he’s been missing on mair than one occasion. I was excited at the his appointment but as a striker, set piece expert and assistant manager, nae convinced in the slightest

13 hours ago, 72redz said:

Dinna think I’ve asked for him tae be sacked, I’ve jist questioned fit value he brings considering oor great failure is scoring goals, his apparent area of expertise. But, aye, I will admit that since the hail drink driving scenario wi his brother and keeping that quiet fae the club, I think he’s a wrang een

Big fan of your whattsapp voice messages mate

Edited by gannonball

15 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Any manager who's in situ for a long time is going to have some bad seasons, the main reason being recruitment at our level and form fluctuation has a huge element of chance in it.  We lose good players (Shinnie, Jack, McLean, Hayes) and have to replace them with guys costing a fraction of what they are earning at their new clubs.  At our level, every signing is a punt. 

I would disagree a bit here Aberdeen have on average had on average the 3rd biggest budget and have signed many proven players off clubs in the league because they can offer more money so those signings shouldn’t really be classified as ‘punts’. Also every club in the league generally lose their better players my team included it’s making sure you get cash for them at the right time and the fraction of that you re-invest is done correctly.

Edited by gannonball