The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

We're about exactly where I predicted we'd be when this experiment started.  I agree Glass isn't the answer, but he's working to a remit that makes the job impossible.  We can't afford the creative quality to play the style of football Cormack is demanding and get results.  We can't even hold on to a player as limited as Hedges, because he can earn much more elsewhere.  And we'd need better players than Hedges to play  the way we are trying to play.  This is not being wise after the event, I've been making the same argument since before Glass was appointed.

Glass probably needs to go, but I have close to zero belief that changing the manager will fix things, because he's not the most fundamental problem.

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yep, I tried. I really did. 

I gave him slack after a mini revival without being convinced, but I just cannot see it. 

Im done. 

Exactly where I am.

Wasn’t convinced when we appointed him but threw myself into it out of blind loyalty. 

We’ve been a shambles pretty much all season 

17 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The only positive I can see is we didn't offer the job to Maloney.

Similar bullet dodged

Was interviewed apparently 

3 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

We're about exactly where I predicted we'd be when this experiment started.  I agree Glass isn't the answer, but he's working to a remit that makes the job impossible.  We can't afford the creative quality to play the style of football Cormack is demanding and get results.  We can't even hold on to a player as limited as Hedges, because he can earn much more elsewhere.  And we'd need better players than Hedges to play  the way we are trying to play.  This is not being wise after the event, I've been making the same argument since before Glass was appointed.

Glass probably needs to go, but I have close to zero belief that changing the manager will fix things, because he's not the most fundamental problem.

Well this is it. I believe the club when the say they interviewed several people for the job and Glass was the best candidate.

I believe he was the best candidate as he was the only one willing to work within that remit.

1 minute ago, Frank Grimes said:

Time for Davie to grow up and give Jim Goodwin a call

Absolutely sick of this shite 

Hmmm. Not for me. St Mirren fans seem to be very up and down on him.

21 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Well this is it. I believe the club when the say they interviewed several people for the job and Glass was the best candidate.

I believe he was the best candidate as he was the only one willing to work within that remit.

Exactly.  Cormack has been accused of giving the job to a mate.  I don't believe it.  He didn't want a mate, he wanted a lightweight, a guy who was so grateful to get the job he would do what he was told.

This is fair. Glass isn't the man but he's sticking to a game plan set from an idealist chairman. The truth is fans would rather win with turgid stuff than lose with slow build up passing football.

Ultimately the squad is nowhere near as good as it looked on paper and we're still sorely lacking creativity. Our big signings save for Scott Brown and Ramirez have not worked with Gallagher in particular being a shocker.

For the remainder of the season, we need a manager who will tighten us up and play for tight wins to nil. Much as that is soul destroying, we don't have the creativity to do otherwise.
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a fan who thinks we shouldn't get a new manager/staff. 

The only fan that matters though is Cormack. 

We're fucked.
This is spot on and Cormack will have to take a big hit to his ego to admit he called it wrong.

I think one of the main problems is many of our fans believe that having the ability to win a lot of league games to nil and grind out the points is somehow “soul-destroying”.

That’s what gets you up to the table - not bull$hit philosophies that involves a lot of tippy-tappy possession that goes nowhere.

3 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I think one of the main problems is many of our fans believe that having the ability to win a lot of league games to nil and grind out the points is somehow “soul-destroying”.

That’s what gets you up to the table - not bull$hit philosophies that involves a lot of tippy-tappy possession that goes nowhere.

It wasn't getting us up the table anymore though.

The sweet spot is probably in the middle of the two extremes. 

I think we have shown at times this season that we can play some decent stuff whilst winning against stuffy opponents (Hearts and Livingston at home, for example), but it has been too fleeting. There is clearly a balance to be struck, and we have occasionally got close to it but not on a consistent enough basis. That is ultimately at the door of the manager and coaching staff, unfortunately. 

6 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

The sweet spot is probably in the middle of the two extremes. 

I think we have shown at times this season that we can play some decent stuff whilst winning against stuffy opponents (Hearts and Livingston at home, for example), but it has been too fleeting. There is clearly a balance to be struck, and we have occasionally got close to it but not on a consistent enough basis. That is ultimately at the door of the manager and coaching staff, unfortunately. 

it’s more about being agile and being able to do both sides of the game. 

The league is split into a handful of teams who actually suit us to get some joy against but they are actually quite good themselves so we won’t regularly win those games and the rest of the league will just let us have the ball, let us go nowhere, break up play and hit us on the break. 

This is not a claim it wasn’t the end of the road for mcinnes, it was, but what he did have was an ability to know a) when he had a shite squad that he needed to ask less of technically to win games and b) a knowledge of how to beat the bottom 6 style of football with a level of consistency. 

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

It wasn't getting us up the table anymore though.

There were a lot of reasons for that though.  The punishment for breaking the Covid regulations that got us of to a sluggish start because we were behind the rest in terms of match fitness (look what that did to Celtic's season). The injury to Watkins and him going back to his club.  The loss of Wright to Rangers.  Cosgrove injured, unsettled by the transfer speculation and then gone.  The injury to Hedges.  Cormack's, let's be honest, deliberate sabotage of the manager's attempts to find replacements for the players we'd lost in January, ending in panic signings late on on the final day, all of them completely useless. 

And with all that crap going on, remember we still managed 4th and qualified for Europe.

Just now, Game of throw-ins said:

There were a lot of reasons for that though.  The punishment for breaking the Covid regulations that got us of to a sluggish start because we were behind the rest in terms of match fitness (look what that did to Celtic's season). The injury to Watkins and him going back to his club.  The loss of Wright to Rangers.  Cosgrove injured, unsettled by the transfer speculation and then gone.  The injury to Hedges.  Cormack's, let's be honest, deliberate sabotage of the manager's attempts to find replacements for the players we'd lost in January, ending in panic signings late on on the final day, all of them completely useless. 

And with all that crap going on, remember we still managed 4th and qualified for Europe.

What about the season before that one?

1 hour ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a fan who thinks we shouldn't get a new manager/staff. 

The only fan that matters though is Cormack. 

We're fucked.

I was arguing with a few today who don’t think it’s Glass’ fault. While they have point as in there are others above and around him who aren’t cutting it, Glass himself is also out of his depth and change has to happen. Currently possibly the worst team in the league. 
Just wait until Motherwell win next week. Full on hatred will kick in. 
Absolute shambles of a team, schooled by Livi. 

30 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

What about the season before that one?

Any manager who's in situ for a long time is going to have some bad seasons, the main reason being recruitment at our level and form fluctuation has a huge element of chance in it.  We lose good players (Shinnie, Jack, McLean, Hayes) and have to replace them with guys costing a fraction of what they are earning at their new clubs.  At our level, every signing is a punt.  The idea that there's some shrewd super-manager out there who can remove the chance element from this process is a fantasy. 

I agree with this:

38 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

what he did have was an ability to know a) when he had a shite squad that he needed to ask less of technically to win games and b) a knowledge of how to beat the bottom 6 style of football with a level of consistency. 

McInnes was happy to try to play a more expansive game when we got the rub of the green with the recruitment.  We saw that at the beginning of last season when Wright and Hedges both started delivering better performances alongside Watkins.  When he didn't he found a ways of  winning ugly and hoped we got luckier with recruitment next time.  In the season you're talking about, we finished 4th, one point off 3rd.  Agreed the football wasn't pretty but I think we're now in for a spell that will make us very nostalgic for an era when a bad season was finishing one point off 3rd.

7 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Any manager who's in situ for a long time is going to have some bad seasons, the main reason being recruitment at our level and form fluctuation has a huge element of chance in it.  We lose good players (Shinnie, Jack, McLean, Hayes) and have to replace them with guys costing a fraction of what they are earning at their new clubs.  At our level, every signing is a punt.  The idea that there's some shrewd super-manager out there who can remove the chance element from this process is a fantasy. 

I agree with this:

McInnes was happy to try to play a more expansive game when we got the rub of the green with the recruitment.  We saw that at the beginning of last season when Wright and Hedges both started delivering better performances alongside Watkins.  When he didn't he found a ways of  winning ugly and hoped we got luckier with recruitment next time.  In the season you're talking about, we finished 4th, one point off 3rd.  Agreed the football wasn't pretty but I think we're now in for a spell that will make us very nostalgic for an era when a bad season was finishing one point off 3rd.

He was forced in to playing that system last season. It worked. Then he no longer had the players to suit and he continued to try to play that way.

Derek was done. Move on, look to the future. Killie fans are already criticising his style of play.