The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

McLennan ahead of McGinn every day for me.

McGinns legs aren't doing what his head is telling them these days.

McLennan is obviously limited but is quick and can beat a man. Needs a run of games and coached out of the McInnes way of playing out wide.

Other way about ffs. McLennan's head is about 3 seconds ahead of his feet. End result? c**t falls over himself or leaves the ball behind. McGinn's legs might have gone but every day of the week he's a better option. 

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

The only saving grace is we still have a decent squad on paper.

I think there's truth in this.  Fans have been quick to pick holes in the quality of the squad in response to poor results, but if we had a manager capable of getting the best out of this squad we'd be comfortably top 4.

4 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

It's got ATL written all over it though. Cormack has been clear about them giving us tips about south americans in Europe. 2 years ago we signed Hernandez on a 4.5 year deal. Vicente being Colombian born means it has their fingerprints all over it. 

We have a strategic partnership with Atlanta which includes sharing knowledge of players/scouting. 

So it may well have an Atlanta footprint on it but it doesn’t mean it’s all a big scam. We tapped into a new market for a young player, something people have been crying out for for years. 

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We have a strategic partnership with Atlanta which includes sharing knowledge of players/scouting. 

So it may well have an Atlanta footprint on it but it doesn’t mean it’s all a big scam. We tapped into a new market for a young player, something people have been crying out for for years. 

Exactly.

If this guy is as good as we hope then he won't be going to Atlanta. He'll be going down south 

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Much like Hernandez wasn't a big scam? Because McInnes found him, McInnes went to the board to say he wanted him, the board agreed and they signed him only for McInnes to never play him. According to the pearly gnashered patter merchant. Get your fucking head out of your hole and wisen up.

Edited by DunbartonshireRed

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Don't let reality get in the way of a good pant pishing session.

5 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Much like Hernandez wasn't a big scam? Because McInnes found him, McInnes went to the board to say he wanted him, the board agreed and they signed him only for McInnes to never play him. According to the pearly gnashered patter merchant. Get your fucking head out of your hole and wisen up.

Not all fiascos are scams

18 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Awkward Bye Bye GIF

So transfers that aren’t personally identified by the manager are scams now?

Better get rid of Mowbray and the scouting team in that case.

44 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

If you're not a fan of reasoned debate then you could always head to the hat.

34 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

So transfers that aren’t personally identified by the manager are scams now?

Better get rid of Mowbray and the scouting team in that case.

He wasn't identified by McInnes or Richardson. The fact he played 45 mins against St Johnstone in the 1st home game after he signed then wasn't seen for virtually the entirety of the remainder of the season is testament to that. If you seriously believe that McInnes would venture so far out of his comfort zone to splash out 800k on Hernandez then not play him then i'm sorry but you are mad. Nothing about that signing suggested it was a McInnes. Nothing. 

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

McLennan ahead of McGinn every day for me.

McGinns legs aren't doing what his head is telling them these days.

McLennan is obviously limited but is quick and can beat a man. Needs a run of games and coached out of the McInnes way of playing out wide.

I previously had this notion that McLennan had all the attributes to be moulded into doing a similar job for us that Boyle managed for Hibs.

He gives the appearance of having developed well physically to go along with his undoubted pace, and definitely had his moments when he looked the part with the Ibrox cup replay goal - and almost single-handedly turning round losing positions at home in games v Livi and St Mirren in relatively recent times.

However, the guy is always injured - and each time we do see him now he seems to have regressed into someone that doesn't even resemble a footballer, with zero correlation between legs and brain.  He's either a lost cause or our coaching/physio team need to work on him on somehow realising the early potential.

Edited by tarapoa

3 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I previously had this notion that McLennan had all the attributes to be moulded into doing a similar job for us that Boyle managed for Hibs.

He gives the appearance of having developed well physically to go along with his undoubted pace, and definitely had his moments with the Ibrox cup replay goal - and almost single-handedly turning round losing positions at home in games v Livi and St Mirren in relatively recent times.

However, the guy is always injured - and each time we do see him now he seems to have regressed into someone that doesn't even resemble a footballer.  He's either a lost cause or our coaching/physio team need to work order on realising the early potential.

I've said similar, but it won't be with us. Boyle might have still been part-time at Connors age.

I think he can be an asset if he uses his pace to get in behind the defence. Unfortunately he's been coached to get past the full back, cut back and cross in to the box. We've not really had a need for this since Cosgrove left.

He wasn't identified by McInnes or Richardson. The fact he played 45 mins against St Johnstone in the 1st home game after he signed then wasn't seen for virtually the entirety of the remainder of the season is testament to that. If you seriously believe that McInnes would venture so far out of his comfort zone to splash out 800k on Hernandez then not play him then i'm sorry but you are mad. Nothing about that signing suggested it was a McInnes. Nothing. 

I never said he was a McInnes or Richardson signing, he clearly wasn’t. This doesn’t mean it was a scam though. A huge proportion of transfers in world football aren’t sourced by a club’s manager.

I notice the St Johnstone game has been rescheduled for Tuesday 15th.

Given our away form, surely Scottish Cup QF weekend may have made more sense in terms of getting a Saturday fixture?

Edited by tarapoa

21 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Overall its been an indifferent transfer window but not terrible. A few positives.

We have offloaded Samuels, Gurr, McGinn and Longstaff. We signed a 20 year old dutch winger and an American youngster (our first real look at the new recruitment teams signings) with a great deal of potential. Adam Montgomery is only a temporary solution until we can find a decent left back in the summer.

This season is meaningless for us. We aren't going to win the Scottish cup however we can still hope to finish fourth. Traditionally the January transfer window is difficult to operate in. The real recruitment drive will be in the summer and I like Richard Gordon suggested, we will have a totally different looking side come the start of next season.

1/ Correct

2/ We can hope all we like, won't happen. (Especially after we lose 3-1 tonight...)

Edited by Jacksgranda

11 hours ago, bpdon said:

Yup. Agreed. My pants are p1shed. It has been a very poor window when the squad badly needed a rebalance and some different options. We are an injury or two away from being a complete shambles. Surely the club hierarchy recognise that too.

The fixture list doesn't make for comforting reading either. Away to County, away to Livi, Celtic at home followed by two trips to Fir Park. I doubt anyone will be surprised to see us going into March out of the cup and in the bottom 4 or 5.

I would nearly guarantee it.