The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Difficult to say only loss is hedges. Year ago everyone was thinking it was fantastic when it was a disaster. I like what Joe Lewis had to say about Vicente Besuijen with today press conference.

He didn't really say anything interesting at all?

What is Steven Gunn's role in all of this? Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but I would have expected a new "Director of Football" with responsibilities actually matching up to that title to have perhaps been a bit more high profile in the last month. 

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

What is Steven Gunn's role in all of this? Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but I would have expected a new "Director of Football" with responsibilities actually matching up to that title to have perhaps been a bit more high profile in the last month. 

Wondered myself and mentioned him to several people today.

5 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Apart from he looked sharp in training, very strong, agile and looks really good on the ball. 

They used to say Darren Mackie looked sharp in training. I'll wait and see what he does on the pitch. 

Potentially a pretty poor window and the "Breathe!" tweet looks very silly

Edited by Flammable sheep

21 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Thought this also - this is the first proper crack at a transfer window with the new recruitment structure, while I appreciate it’s more complexed and nuanced than that Football Manager, but come on to f**k…

31 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Wondered myself and mentioned him to several people today.

I can't recall hearing or reading anything from him in the wake of the Besuijen or Polvara signings, which just seems a bit odd from a Director of Football. You would think the club would want their Director of Football all over the coverage of those sorts of signings, like with Wilson at Rangers. 

Edited by DrewDon

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s just been a very poorly managed window again. Much improvement needed. 

Steven Gunn

Head of Football - not fit for purpose.

Couldnt inspire an Ethiopian to eat a Mars Bar.

He’s responsible for negotiating deals. 

Cormack’s wee puppets aren’t up to the job. 

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Appears to be out of his depth, doing a job he’s not capable of.

That how it looks anyway. 

Allegedly a few deals fell through this month, including two tonight. 

In: Polvara, Besuijen, Montgomery
Out: Hedges, Gurr, Samuels, Longstaff, McGinn

Whilst we’ve only lost one player who has contributed in any way, there’s a lot of pressure on the new guys, Besuijen in particular, to hit the ground running. Feel like I post this twice a week but we’ve been crying out for attacking players all season and we’ve pinned our hopes on three kids.

Montgomery certainly would’ve contributed as an attacking left back on Tuesday night but he shouldn’t be starting ahead of MacKenzie if he’s fit. If we’d signed him permanently that would be different. Remains to be seen if Polvara is ready to make an impact this early.

It could turn out to be an improvement on what we had, but it still falls short of what we needed.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I can't recall hearing or reading anything from him in the wake of the Besuijen or Polvara signings, which just seems a bit odd from a Director of Football. You would think the club would want their Director of Football all over the coverage of those sorts of signings, like with Wilson at Rangers. 

Re-arranging the paper clips in his desk tidy most likely 

8 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Overall its been an indifferent transfer window but not terrible. A few positives.

We have offloaded Samuels, Gurr, McGinn and Longstaff. We signed a 20 year old dutch winger and an American youngster (our first real look at the new recruitment teams signings) with a great deal of potential. Adam Montgomery is only a temporary solution until we can find a decent left back in the summer.

This season is meaningless for us. We aren't going to win the Scottish cup however we can still hope to finish fourth. Traditionally the January transfer window is difficult to operate in. The real recruitment drive will be in the summer and I like Richard Gordon suggested, we will have a totally different looking side come the start of next season.

I think you’re giving the club a bit of a free pass there. 

Getting rid of deadwood is fine but 1) let’s not forget everyone you listed there was signed in the summer, so a fair bit of time in January went into correcting summer mistakes and 2) whilst they weren’t good, they were brought in primarily as loans to fix short term squad issues, they haven’t been replaced. 

Weve invested in some young ones which I have no issue with but ultimately we come out of January with less squad depth and a starting XI that is either as it was or worse (depending on how good Vicente is taking hedges place). 

Watkins is out long term and we’ve done nothing to address that. No back up striker, a huge burden on a young RB’s shoulders for the rest of the season with a centre mid as cover. 

It’s fine as fans to say the rest of the season is meaningless but the club can’t think like that. We have a Scottish cup and European places that the club should be absolutely targeting. I don’t think we’ve increased our chances of achieving those this month. 

30 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Watkins is out long term and we’ve done nothing to address that. No back up striker, a huge burden on a young RB’s shoulders for the rest of the season with a centre mid as cover. 

Has that been confirmed that Watkins is out long term? 

Press conference a few weeks ago Glass said he is out for a few weeks.