The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

56 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Almost certain we have a decent sell on with McKenna

He’s having a brilliant season with Forest so hopefully that’s another payday in the future 

He's had an ok season with Forest, much better than last year, but lets not get carried away. He's not even the best centre back at the club and he's not being sniffed around by Premier sides at the moment.

9 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Why do so many of our fans seem determined to see Ramsay sold? He’s an obviously excellent young player and only going to get better. 

Because that's the way of the world. We can't afford to keep him; therefore, we need to maximise our returns.

Ideally, he would stay a couple of years, win a trophy with us and move on for a huge fee.

But the vultures are circling now, heads will be turned (agent, player, our club) and the transfer will happen whether you like it or not.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Or he could be like Josh Doig, have a fairly mediocre season next year and you could never see that sort of money offered every again.

That’s the quandary that Aberdeen, and indeed every club, have with an offer for a young prospect. Whatever they do will be criticised. I don’t like Bologna’s deal and would bin it though.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's had an ok season with Forest, much better than last year, but lets not get carried away. He's not even the best centre back at the club and he's not being sniffed around by Premier sides at the moment.

The fans down there appear to love him, he’s looked great when I’ve seen him this season

I’m not sure how you can possibly know whether he’s being looked at by top flight sides or not

7 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

The fans down there appear to love him, he’s looked great when I’ve seen him this season

I’m not sure how you can possibly know whether he’s being looked at by top flight sides or not

I'm a Forest fan. He's not as good as Worrell who there is lots of speculation about and may yet depart this weekend. I've read absolutely none about McKenna. He's been steady this season, and a good partner for Worrall. He's not shown enough to get anyone particularly excited yet though. The idea there's a payday around the corner on him is unlikely.

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Because that's the way of the world. We can't afford to keep him; therefore, we need to maximise our returns.

Ideally, he would stay a couple of years, win a trophy with us and move on for a huge fee.

But the vultures are circling now, heads will be turned (agent, player, our club) and the transfer will happen whether you like it or not.

Sure, I can totally understand that and have already accepted that he likely won't be a (permanent) Aberdeen player by the end of the month. I am more confused by the small number of people seemingly arguing that we should be biting suitors' hands off because he has had a couple of slightly below par performances and isn't that good anyway. We are going to be losing a very good right-back and one of the few genuinely creative outlets we have in this team when he moves on. 

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's had an ok season with Forest, much better than last year, but lets not get carried away.

Seems to be doing ok, which is strange seeing as every bedroom FM pro outside of ABZ were telling us how pish he is / was at the time of his move.

good luck to him , plenty time to make a few quid on him yet.

2 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Why do so many of our fans seem determined to see Ramsay sold? He’s an obviously excellent young player and only going to get better. 

It's the way of the world these days. There's no patience or financial incentive to wait a few years and just let them develop.

AFC have failed to exploit the value of young players so often, that it's the fear it happens again - and we end up with a smaller fee (eg McKenna), token fee with futile sell-ons (eg Fraser) or absolutely nothing (eg the hopefully permacrocked rat in Govan).

...........or as mentioned he becomes yesterday's chip paper like Doig.

Ramsay's stats are good in terms of forward play, and the way he glides past folk and can use both feet is a joy to watch.

He also canna fkin defend for toffee.  The theory is that can be taught and will come as he develops physically/tactically etc - but right now, he's costing us as many points as he's helping win for us.

The club could do with a wee windfall to alleviate the Covid shortfalls and start getting the stadium moving (in the city), so this is the natural place to look.

Edited by tarapoa

18 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

He also canna fkin defend for toffee.  The theory is that can be taught and will come as he develops physically/tactically etc - but right now, he's costing us as many points as he's helping win for us.

I hear people say this often, but I'm not sure how much I agree with it. I think the demands Glass places on full-backs going forward, especially the creative burden on them, means that they are more likely to look vulnerable defensively. I would be interested to see the underlying numbers rather than just relying on the eye test, but I have usually been impressed with Ramsay's one-on-one defending and especially his reading of the game, with the obvious caveat that he is still very much learning the game and mistakes are to be expected from time to time. 

2 minutes ago, RiG said:

I was just about to ask about him but I see from this thread he has been described as shite and horrendous.

Anything, anything positive about his time with you?

He barely played 

I only saw him once, against County, was very direct and liked getting to the byline 

End product wasn’t really there 

That was only one game though 

Edited by Frank Grimes