The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

He was carrying us in the 19/20 season tbf and was pretty good in the season before that. He’s done next to nothing since though.

A brilliant servant to the club and one of the best we’ve seen in my lifetime but it’s definitely time for him to move on.

Woefully underused when we had the likes of Hornby, Hendry and Kamberi offering absolutely nothing up front.

One of my favourite Niall McGinn goals was in the same match against Kilmarnock where Scott McKenna scored that goal. He’d just come back to the club after his six months away, and with the score at 2-1 to us he picked the ball up just inside our own half by the dugouts, ran diagonally across the pitch and hammered a shot into the net from around the corner of the box. Fantastic.

I know Niall's time was long since up with us but I'm still genuinely sad to see the guy go. Been a very good player for us and Aberdeen has been a very good club for his career. He progressively got better up to 2017 as he added a lot of work rate to his good creative abilities. His performance at Ibrox when we won for the first time in 26 years was masterful. His first season when he carried a mediocre team was also very good. He was a luxury at times but an important one nonetheless and far more productive than the likes of GMS were for us.

You look back at some of his performances such as at Tynecastle, Groningen and Rijeka, the importance of him shines through in all. On his day, he could turn a game single handedly or very often with Jonny Hayes in tandem on the opposite side.

Approaching 30, in my time going to Dons games, we've had very few players as good as Niall McGinn was for so long. Prolific off the park as well as on it, a true apprentice of Craig Brown in the former regard!

Genuinely sad and hope that some sort of ambassadorial type role awaits McGinn when he retires from playing.

2 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Official now.

18 month deal!! I'll be surprised if that move works out.

Nevertheless, McGinn was a very important player for Aberdeen during the 2010s. The good moments became all too fleeting in his second spell though and should've never been awarded a lengthy three year contract on his return from South Korea; whilst one year extension last summer was, and has been proven, ridiculous.

I wasn't surprised he returned here from South Korea but I think he should've taken on a fresh challenge rather than sit comfortably at Aberdeen. I don't think it was a particularly good move for club or player although there were flashes of his old brilliance during the second spell. I think a Scottish Cup match at Rugby Park stands out for me.

I was rather hoping he would re-appear at Cove Rangers. He may well do if Dundee doesn't work out for him. He would certainly pull a few curious Dons fans through the turnstiles if he does land at the Balmoral Stadium.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

One of my favourite Niall McGinn goals was in the same match against Kilmarnock where Scott McKenna scored that goal. He’d just come back to the club after his six months away, and with the score at 2-1 to us he picked the ball up just inside our own half by the dugouts, ran diagonally across the pitch and hammered a shot into the net from around the corner of the box. Fantastic.

Aye that was a belter.  The volley at the Merkland end against Dundee (I think) stands out in my memory too.  

I reckon out of the players who have scored a good number of goals (50 plus?) for us it would be a close one between him and Jess for who had the best "Top 20 goals" highlight reel.  

What do the others think is a reasonable fee for Calvin Ramsay?

Would you take 6 million if that was offered or would you hold out for more?

Supposedly we have a young right back replacement in mind if/when he is sold. Presumably, 5% of the transfer fee would be put back into the transfer budget while the rest would help cover any losses occurred during Covid/future projects.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Doubt we’d get 6m. £5m plus a sell-on would be good business for us. I reckon we’ll likely accept £4m though. 

I doubt we'd accept £4m if £3.3m has been booted out and told it was nowhere near. I reckon we want £6m but would probably deal at £5m with him coming back on loan and a hefty sell on. 

8 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

One step forward, two steps back.

This. 

We’re a cup tie away against Motherwell from the season being pretty much meaningless too. Third is gone and 4th seems a long shot too if we’re going to remain as inconsistent as we’ve been all season. 

This. 
We’re a cup tie away against Motherwell from the season being pretty much meaningless too. Third is gone and 4th seems a long shot too if we’re going to remain as inconsistent as we’ve been all season. 
Spot on. The management team need to do something to address the woeful away performances. There seems to be no purpose to the way we play away from home and we are hugely lacking in creativity if Hedges has a quiet night (as we have been since the start of last season).

Surely you lads haven’t actually turned down a straight offer of £3.3m for Ramsay?  I’m assuming that this was one of those deals where they pay circa £1m now with various spurious add ons? If you have turned down £3.3m up front that’s mental.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

Surely you lads haven’t actually turned down a straight offer of £3.3m for Ramsay?  I’m assuming that this was one of those deals where they pay circa £1m now with various spurious add on? If you have turned down £3.3m up that’s mental.

If Patterson's went for £10,000,000+ and they got £3,000,000 rising to £5,000,000 for McKenna I don't think it's that mental. Especially if there are clubs down south keen on him as they will pay over the odds for UK players