The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

What a heap of shite :lol:

Do you care to elaborate? 

"A heap" suggests you think everything is shite; however, it starts off with a fact, the Killie's No1 target was Jack Ross.

So you tell me exactly what you think is shite and allow me the opportunity to respond...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

51 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Do you care to elaborate? 

"A heap" suggests you think everything is shite; however, it starts off with a fact, the Killie's No1 target was Jack Ross.

So you tell me exactly what you think is shite and allow me the opportunity to respond...

It starts off with you saying it’s an act of desperation from killie because they missed out on their first target. Moving onto another target and hiring someone with a proven pedigree is desperate? Ok. 

you say killie will struggle in the premiership. Even in the unlikely event that you’ve watched them regularly this season, I’m not sure what you are basing that on. 

The rest is laced with bitterness towards mcinnes which I really can’t fathom why some dons fans do even after he’s left. 

It does suggest to me, perhaps unfairly, that his body of work with us might not be viewed as favourably as we, or some of us, might have expected (at least in England). Impossible to know for sure, but I doubt it’s the sort of next move McInnes envisaged when he left us last March. 

10 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It does suggest to me, perhaps unfairly, that his body of work with us might not be viewed as favourably as we, or some of us, might have expected (at least in England). Impossible to know for sure, but I doubt it’s the sort of next move McInnes envisaged when he left us last March. 

I think it shows timing is everything for a manager. He probably feels he should’ve taken the opportunities that came to him at his height. If you don’t as a manager your stock can fall quite quickly. 

48 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It starts off with you saying it’s an act of desperation from killie because they missed out on their first target. Moving onto another target and hiring someone with a proven pedigree is desperate? Ok. 

you say killie will struggle in the premiership. Even in the unlikely event that you’ve watched them regularly this season, I’m not sure what you are basing that on. 

The rest is laced with bitterness towards mcinnes which I really can’t fathom why some dons fans do even after he’s left. 

I have no bitterness towards McInnes.

From 2013 to the Sunderland approach in 2017 he did a good job. But as I said in my original post, by 2020 he was a spent force.  This is now 2022. I think it's fair enough to question if McInnes can recapture his managerial pedigree of 2017 at a Scottish Championship club.

He has a past record of both relative success and relative failure. He had decent four years at Aberdeen and couple of years at St Johnstone and not so good three years at Aberdeen and difficult spell in England. 

He wasn't the board's first choice. They wanted Jack Ross. McInnes got the job but was picked from a shortlist as opposed to Ross who had the job if he wanted it. At least one board member may have reservations about employing McInnes which might make his life harder than needs be.

I say Killie will struggle in the Premiership because the league has went up a competitive notch since their last successful manager, Stevie Clarke was in charge. Killie fans may compare McInnes to Clarke but I don't believe McInnes can lead Killie into the Top 6 let alone 3rd.

As I say, it remains to be seen whether he can lead them back to the Premiership this season but they surely now must be favourites if he's as good as you evidently think.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

From 2013 to the Sunderland approach in 2017 he did a good job. But as I said in my original post, by 2020 he was a spent force.  This is now 2022. I think it's fair enough to question if McInnes can recapture is managerial pedigree of 2017 at a Scottish Championship club.

He has a past record of both relative success and relative failure.

He wasn't the board's first choice. They wanted Jack Ross. McInnes got the job but was picked from a shortlist as opposed to Ross who had the job if he wanted it. At least one board member may have reservations about employing McInnes which might make his life harder than needs be.

I say Killie will struggle in the Premiership because the league has went up a competitive notch since their last successful manager, Stevie Clarke was in charge. Killie fans may compare McInnes to Clarke and I don't believe McInnes can lead Killie into the Top 6 let alone 3rd.

As I say, it remains to be seen whether he can lead them back to the Premiership this season but they surely now must be favourites if he's as good as you evidently think.

I’d give a McInnes-led Killie more than a puncher’s chance of finishing above us next season unless we have a couple of stellar windows.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

I’d give a McInnes-led Killie more than a puncher’s chance of finishing above us next season unless we have a couple of stellar windows.

I think Killie would need a couple of stellar windows too though...let's see who McInnes comes back to Aberdeen for because if it's the likes of Kennedy, McLennan, Campbell and McGinn then you may need to review. McInnes likes familiar faces so I wouldn't be surprised to see some ex-Aberdeen or current Aberdeen players wash up at Rugby Park soon.... 

7 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

From 2013 to the Sunderland approach in 2017 he did a good job. But as I said in my original post, by 2020 he was a spent force.  This is now 2022. I think it's fair enough to question if McInnes can recapture is managerial pedigree of 2017 at a Scottish Championship club.

He has a past record of both relative success and relative failure.

I say Killie will struggle in the Premiership because the league has went up a competitive notch since their last successful manager, Stevie Clarke was in charge. Killie fans may compare McInnes to Clarke and I don't believe McInnes can lead Killie into the Top 6 let alone 3rd.

That implies that mcinnes 2020 was a significantly worse manager than mcinnes 2017. 

Id say he went through the Normal lifecycle of a manager, and just stayed on that curve a bit too long. Other than maybe sir Alex Ferguson, every manager eventually runs out of ideas, particularly in recruitment. The fans lose interest, finishing 4th is fairly boring compared when we were pushing Celtic or finishing above rangers. It happens. 

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

In what way is it a fact that Jack Ross was our number 1 target? He had ruled himself out within a couple of days, so given that he has a good relationship with our DOF I doubt we would have any illusions of him being interested.

Well maybe I heard wrong so I'll retract "factual" as I have no proof, but the timing of Wright's removal and the sudden availability of Ross suggests that there was something in it and Killie were moving quick to get their man...

4 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I think Killie would need a couple of stellar windows too though...let's see who McInnes comes back to Aberdeen for because if it's the likes of Kennedy, McLennan, Campbell and McGinn then you may need to review. McInnes likes familiar faces so I wouldn't be surprised to see some ex-Aberdeen or current Aberdeen players wash up at Rugby Park soon.... 

Agreed in general but you can get future EPL and Scotland superstar Deano off that list.

Just now, coprolite said:

Agreed in general but you can get future EPL and Scotland superstar Deano off that list.

Aye, sorry, I only meant a loan move for Campbell as per Main stand moan's suggestion.

I think Campbell could benefit from a sustained spell in a first team and it seems unlikely with us at present.

I think it shows timing is everything for a manager. He probably feels he should’ve taken the opportunities that came to him at his height. If you don’t as a manager your stock can fall quite quickly. 

He would’ve been on a hiding to nothing at both Sunderland and Rangers. Sunderland were clearly a basket case with budget cuts and a squad full of guys who either weren’t good enough or didn’t want to be there. When Rangers were in for him, they were well behind Celtic (and even us) and they wouldn’t have been as patient with him as they were with Gerrard.

If anything I think this shows that English clubs don’t value managers working in Scotland. Aside from Gerrard and Rodgers, has any manager gone from Scotland to a job in England above League 1 recently? The likes of Neilson, Stubbs, Mellon, Ross, Robinson all went to clubs lower down the food chain.

On 03/01/2022 at 12:01, G51 said:

Aye. He was brilliant v Antwerp and the first leg of the Slavia Prague game. He was also good vs Poznan in last seasons groups and Lyon this season.

Three weeks after that Slavia game, Ramsay got his first meaningful action for Aberdeen, playing 60 minutes in a 1-0 win against Dumbarton. 

Also, given his interview today, a player that could not wait to get away from Ibrox. 

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Also, given his interview today, a player that could not wait to get away from Ibrox. 

You’re reading way too much into quotes given in an Everton interview. He says the same thing every new signing says.

In any case, it doesn’t matter.

21 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

Strong rumours that Killie are talking to McInnes. I’m aware of the criticisms of eye bleeding football etc, but what do you think? Could he be the answer for us in the position we are in? He was the only manager Sir Steve couldn’t get the better of.

If you remember anything about where Aberdeen were when Derek McInnes came in to Pittodrie, and where we were 3 or 4 years later, it’s a question that doesn’t need to be asked.

4 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I genuinely think it's act of desperation for Killie, after failing to attract their No.1 target Jack Ross, and a white flag of surrender from McInnes for looking for any bigger jobs down south.

Even coming in at this late stage, Killie should be looking to win the Championship with Arbroath and stuttering ICT and Raith above them. I think anything less than the promotion will be seen as failure and will probably mean the end of the McInnes reign.

However, I don't think promotion with Killie will particularly strengthen his CV and they'll struggle in the Premiership.

I'd be surprised if he's still there by the end of 2022/23.

It all rings familiar as this is the same route Jimmy Calderwood took after his departure from Aberdeen when he also thought that there might be better positions out there for him.

I think Calderwood saved you from relegation but left after six months. Perhaps a similar length of service beckons for Del at Rugby Park.

The patronising will tell you how great an appointment this is; but Delboy was a spent force by the time he left Pittodrie. Perhaps a new management team will reinvigorate him but if Docherty and Sheerin turn up then it's an ominous sign.

The only thing in his favour is that he can't do much worse than Tommy Wright.

When did you join the #McInnesOut group, 2014?  What is your reasoning for saying “if Docherty and Sheerin turn up it’s an ominous sign.”?

51 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That implies that mcinnes 2020 was a significantly worse manager than mcinnes 2017. 

Id say he went through the Normal lifecycle of a manager, and just stayed on that curve a bit too long. Other than maybe sir Alex Ferguson, every manager eventually runs out of ideas, particularly in recruitment. The fans lose interest, finishing 4th is fairly boring compared when we were pushing Celtic or finishing above rangers. It happens. 

I'm not sure if I would say "significantly worse" but he didn't seem to have the same appetite for the challenge by 2020 and, in my opinion, that can be traced back to the summer of 2017.

He did lose key players in McLean, Jack and Hayes whilst Rooney's usefulness was coming to an end which was impossible to replace in such a short period but by 2020 we were finishing 4th under clubs with considerable less resources than ourselves in Killie and Motherwell. This wasn't Hearts or even Hibs, although by his last season the latter were on course to push his team down to at least 4th.

In my view and it might well be a heap of shite, he's need to find that appetite and start all over again in a league lower than he's been use to over the last ten years. He's an older manager now seemingly on the downward spiral.  Clarke was 54 when he took over at Killie was able to resurrect himself and McInnes is four years younger. However, McInnes starts from a lower base than Clarke.

But I hope McInnes does well*, I just don't think he will....

*Although I would prefer and love to see Arbroath win the title

Edited by Bogbrush1903

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

When did you join the #McInnesOut group, 2014?  What is your reasoning for saying “if Docherty and Sheerin turn up it’s an ominous sign.”?

The kerfuffle during the Sevco double header in 2017 when it began to sour for me although I accept that the first question was rhetorical.

Because I think he needs a fresh approach and outlook to the Killie job and forget about trying to recreate the past down at Rugby Park. 

29 minutes ago, G51 said:

You’re reading way too much into quotes given in an Everton interview. He says the same thing every new signing says.

In any case, it doesn’t matter.

I know that some of what he said is standard “new club” type interview, but not many ex-players, particularly if they’ve been there for all of their football life from childhood, throws their previous club under a bus.

It obviously does matter to you.