The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

There's a wee bit of talk on our forums and social media that we've lined up a loan deal for Declan Gallagher in January due to our injury crisis. Is he getting a look in with you at the moment? Do you think that's something Glass would go for?

There's a wee bit of talk on our forums and social media that we've lined up a loan deal for Declan Gallagher in January due to our injury crisis. Is he getting a look in with you at the moment? Do you think that's something Glass would go for?

He’s been out of action for most of the season. McCrorie and Bates have improved as a pairing and Considine should be back before too long so it’s hard to see how he gets in the team.

I’ve heard he agreed to join before Glass was appointed so he could be a good bet to free up a wage. He’d certainly fit in with that Dundee squad [emoji28]

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

How the mighty have fallen. Captained Scotland at youth level, turned down a move to Man United and got the better of Scott Brown in a 2-1 win against Celtic at the age of 20. Unfortunately this poor c*nt suffers from a chronic degenerative condition known as staunchitis and has now fallen out of the game. I hope they are able to find a cure one day.

54c121caa06dcd986d07877e2ebbf02e.jpg

It's definitely a long shot, there's a good chance there will be no supporters at that match...

35 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I hope so, he's no use to us quality wise for where we want to be...and I still maintain we shouldn't have signed him if he wasn't prepared to commit to living in the Aberdeen area.

Not sure we’ve seen enough of Gallagher to make a judgement on him tbh. 

Even if did have enough, I’d be astounded if we were shipping defenders out on loan given the injuries and us actually having a centre half pairing of scott brown and dean campbell at one point. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Given the injury problems we've had over the last 4 months, I'd be stunned if we let anyone go out on loan. 

Gallagher should be looking at Bates' improvement and be aiming to try and force himself back into the side. At the moment he's a long way off being good enough.

I'd be disappointed to see Gallagher loaned out when we've barely had the chance to see what he can do. His performances for Scotland, Motherwell and Livingston in recent years give him enough credit to deserve an opportunity to prove himself with us.

I thought he looked solid against Hibs up until his injury.

Glass does appears to be the ruthless type. I like it.

15 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I hope so, he's no use to us quality wise for where we want to be...and I still maintain we shouldn't have signed him if he wasn't prepared to commit to living in the Aberdeen area.

He has a place up here now. Family live up here for part of the week with him.

8 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not sure we’ve seen enough of Gallagher to make a judgement on him tbh. 

Even if did have enough, I’d be astounded if we were shipping defenders out on loan given the injuries and us actually having a centre half pairing of scott brown and dean campbell at one point. 

I'm not sure what his strong points are, he's not particularly good in the air but nor is he particularly good on the floor, he doesn't seem to be a leader, he's not quick and he's the wrong side of 30 so he isn't going to develop any of these attributes to become an asset...but yet as a 30-something former Scotland player (he's unlikely to win another cap) he hasn't come here to sit on the bench or the stands therefore I would be surprised if he's happy with his lot presently.

We, the supporters, may not have seen much of him in an Aberdeen shirt (although, I saw plenty of him at Livingston, Motherwell and Scotland) but the management team see him everyday in training and it would appear that they don't fancy him much, a view that woud've been echoed by fans that saw play against Raith Rovers, Motherwell and Dundee earlier in the season.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

He has a place up here now. Family live up here for part of the week with him.

Good, I imagine then that someone at the club told him to stay up here then...either that or he hasn't fancied the daily commute but someone has arrived at the correct conclusion that he's best served living up here which I discussed on this very thread back in the summer to much derision

Guest Bob Mahelp
19 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I'm not sure what his strong points are, he's not particularly good in the air but nor is he particularly good on the floor, he doesn't seem to be a leader, he's not quick and he's the wrong side of 30 so he isn't going to develop any of these attributes to become an asset...but yet as a 30-something former Scotland player (he's unlikely to win another cap) he hasn't come here to sit on the bench or the stands therefore I would be surprised if he's happy with his lot presently.

We, the supporters, may not have seen much of him in an Aberdeen shirt (although, I saw plenty of him at Livingston, Motherwell and Scotland) but the management team see him everyday in training and it would appear that they don't fancy him much, a view that woud've been echoed by fans that saw play against Raith Rovers, Motherwell and Dundee earlier in the season.

Gallagher has fallen well down the pecking order. Bates has been really impressive in the last month....he stood up particularly well to The Fermers kick and rush and then kick again brand of football.....and McCrorie has quietly got on with the job of turning himself in to a central defender/right back. 

in fact, the back 4 we've played in the last month...Bates/McCrorie/Ojo/Hayes....have given us the kind of stability we've been looking for since August. 

Big Andy is due back soon, and he'll slot in seamlessly and take some pressure off Hayes in particular. Chuck in MacKenzie and Ramsey both being available and all of a sudden things are looking far rosier defensively. 

Gallagher is going to really have to raise his game to bring him back into contention for a 1st team place. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Gallagher has fallen well down the pecking order. Bates has been really impressive in the last month....he stood up particularly well to The Fermers kick and rush and then kick again brand of football.....and McCrorie has quietly got on with the job of turning himself in to a central defender/right back. 

in fact, the back 4 we've played in the last month...Bates/McCrorie/Ojo/Hayes....have given us the kind of stability we've been looking for since August. 

Big Andy is due back soon, and he'll slot in seamlessly and take some pressure off Hayes in particular. Chuck in MacKenzie and Ramsey both being available and all of a sudden things are looking far rosier defensively. 

Gallagher is going to really have to raise his game to bring him back into contention for a 1st team place. 

...and the management team seem fairly confident about Mikey Devlin's impending return at the end of January.

Do we really need four fit and available recent Scottish international centre-backs on our books at the same time? Would resources not be better spread across the team?

10 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

...and the management team seem fairly confident about Mikey Devlin's impending return at the end of January.

Do we really need four fit and available recent Scottish international centre-backs on our books at the same time? Would resources not be better spread across the team?

Devlin hasn’t played in about 2 years. 

Even if he did get fit in January (not holding my breath) it would be incredibly naive to say right we can bin Gallagher now.

Also the last spell devlin had fit he was absolutely horrendous.  

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Devlin hasn’t played in about 2 years. 

Even if he did get fit in January (not holding my breath) it would be incredibly naive to say right we can bin Gallagher now.

Also the last spell devlin had fit he was absolutely horrendous.  

My feeling is that it would be incredibly naive to think that we aren't looking to offload one of the centre-backs now if we're confident that Considine will be available and the possibility that Devlin can also be considered. Five players vying for two places.

We also have the option of dropping Scott Brown back in as we have on a couple of occasions reasonably successfully this season. Indeed, more successfully than when we've played Gallagher in there.

I think Gallagher will either leave in January, perhaps on loan as the Dundee poster mentioned, or in the summer if we can't shift him out during this window.

Perhaps, ideally, we would keep Gallagher for cover but we don't have unlimited finances even if the player is happy to sit on the sidelines, which I doubt.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Guest Bob Mahelp

Nah, given the injury woes we've had I'd be stunned if we loaned Gallagher out in January. 

I would suggest though that he has 5 months to prove that he's good enough to make it as an Aberdeen player.