Jump to content

The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2021/22


Guest

Recommended Posts

Considering how poor the condition of the pitch was I think it's a great 3 points.

St Johnstone are a stuffy, boring side but hard to break down. Thankfully a piece of hand-y play by Teddy gave us a hard earned win.

Watkins and Hedges stunk the place out today. I wonder if JET would be much more effective through the middle as I don't remember him being shoved off the ball once today but he is wasted playing so deep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’ve had our fair share of dodgy decisions against us this season so I’ll take it but St. J fans will rightly feel aggrieved. 
Watkins was having a mare and I didn’t even realise Hedges was playing until near the end of the first half. 
We rode our luck at times but a welcome 3 points. 3 wins on the bounce and now only a point off 4th.
What a difference a few wins can make, the league is tight this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

Considering how poor the condition of the pitch was I think it's a great 3 points.

St Johnstone are a stuffy, boring side but hard to break down. Thankfully a piece of hand-y play by Teddy gave us a hard earned win.

Watkins and Hedges stunk the place out today. I wonder if JET would be much more effective through the middle as I don't remember him being shoved off the ball once today but he is wasted playing so deep.

It shows how values have changed.  A team approaching the game as St J did today back in the 80s would have got zero sympathy for losing because of a dodgy refereeing decision.  Thinking of Partick Thistle under Auld and the like.  Everybody would have thought, this is cynical anti-football and even if it took a bit of bad luck for them to lose it still serves the b*****ds right.

Not having a pop at St Johnstone.  The way they approached the game is so par for the course nowadays everybody thinks its perfectly legitimate, and why shouldn't they if it maximises their chances of points. But I still think a manager claiming his team were "magnificent" when they had 38% possession at home against a stuttering Aberdeen side and girning that their loss was undeserved is a grim commentary on SPL football's claim to be a form of entertainment.

 

Edited by Game of throw-ins
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

It shows how values have changed.  A team approaching the game as St J did today back in the 80s would have got zero sympathy for losing because of a dodgy refereeing decision.  Thinking of Partick Thistle under Auld and the like.  Everybody would have thought, this is cynical anti-football and even if it took a bit of bad luck for them to lose it still serves the b*****ds right.

Not having a pop at St Johnstone.  The way they approached the game is so par for the course nowadays everybody thinks its perfectly legitimate, and why shouldn't they if it maximises their chances of points. But I still think a manager claiming his team were "magnificent" when they had 38% possession at home against a stuttering Aberdeen side and girning that their loss was undeserved is a grim commentary on SPL football's claim to be a form of entertainment.

 

I only saw the second half, but to me St Johnstone were the team looking most likely to score and, more importantly, showing more attacking intent as the game wore on. They were getting in and around our box more than us and seemed to be getting more bodies in our box than us.  Our defence seemed to have to be doing more desperate defending than they did. 

Great three points but our goal was more out of the blue than if it had been scored at the other end.

Possession stats are meaningless without further information about which part of the pitch the team had possession 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, A96 said:

I only saw the second half, but to me St Johnstone were the team looking most likely to score and, more importantly, showing more attacking intent as the game wore on. They were getting in and around our box more than us and seemed to be getting more bodies in our box than us.  Our defence seemed to have to be doing more desperate defending than they did. 

Great three points but our goal was more out of the blue than if it had been scored at the other end.

Possession stats are meaningless without further information about which part of the pitch the team had possession 

Would totally agree with this. A lot of of lovely triangles etc. in possession, but where is this possession? Usually in our own half or middle of the pitch. Playing right into St Johnstone’s hands as they wait to pick the ball at the right time and break. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, big al said:

As in the very thing the team was lacking?

I think you may be arguing for the sake of it here. 

Jenks obviously has a positive influence. 

My original challenge to you was describing JET as ‘the problem’ which seems unfair when he’s started 3, played well in 3 and we’ve won all 3. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

It shows how values have changed.  A team approaching the game as St J did today back in the 80s would have got zero sympathy for losing because of a dodgy refereeing decision.  Thinking of Partick Thistle under Auld and the like.  Everybody would have thought, this is cynical anti-football and even if it took a bit of bad luck for them to lose it still serves the b*****ds right.

Not having a pop at St Johnstone.  The way they approached the game is so par for the course nowadays everybody thinks its perfectly legitimate, and why shouldn't they if it maximises their chances of points. But I still think a manager claiming his team were "magnificent" when they had 38% possession at home against a stuttering Aberdeen side and girning that their loss was undeserved is a grim commentary on SPL football's claim to be a form of entertainment.

 

I didn't see this game, but from what I heard on the radio maybe you could make a case for SJ. However, there is truth in your post in general. How can the 4th and 5th place teams be on negative goal difference at this stage. There are so many park the bus teams in the league in most matches you only see occasional outbreaks of football. Teams like Motherwell and Livi, with their style of play should not be in this league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 hours ago, A96 said:

I only saw the second half, but to me St Johnstone were the team looking most likely to score and, more importantly, showing more attacking intent as the game wore on. They were getting in and around our box more than us and seemed to be getting more bodies in our box than us.  Our defence seemed to have to be doing more desperate defending than they did. 

Great three points but our goal was more out of the blue than if it had been scored at the other end.

Possession stats are meaningless without further information about which part of the pitch the team had possession 

A wee bit harsh on Aberdeen, because first half we were far the better team. Ferguson hit the post and we made quite a few half chances. 

Second half St Johnsone did the sensible thing and pressed us much further up the park. They were stuffy but no way near as good going forward as St Mirren were last week. 

It is a fact that we are quite open in midfield and that we'll always give sides encouragement if they choose to attack us. That just looks like how it will be under Glass. 

The good thing is though that Bates was outstanding once again, and Hayes put in a month's work of work in one game. With Ojo and McCrorie both quietly steady, it's pretty remarkable that a defence that consists of 3 midfielders and a guy we signed a few months back is starting to look like a strong unit. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

I didn't see this game, but from what I heard on the radio maybe you could make a case for SJ. However, there is truth in your post in general. How can the 4th and 5th place teams be on negative goal difference at this stage. There are so many park the bus teams in the league in most matches you only see occasional outbreaks of football. Teams like Motherwell and Livi, with their style of play should not be in this league.

That's very subjective. What criteria for style of play should be allowed in the top flight?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's very subjective. What criteria for style of play should be allowed in the top flight?

Teams who for at least a period of most games will attempt to play some attacking football. By this I mean on occasion attempting to play a sequence of a few passes together. As opposed to keeping it tight every 90mins and occasionally trying to nick a goal, usually from set pieces. The "priemier league" having half the teams shitfesting most games makes for poor entertainment and player development.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

This is the first time that I’ve felt that maybe (and I do mean maybe) I’ve been hasty with glass. 

Not tucking into a bowl of humble pie yet though. 

Wouldn't have complained of we emptied him if we'd lost to Hibs but I do feel a new manager needs several windows to get a fair crack at it. 

Interested to see what he does in January.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Wouldn't have complained of we emptied him if we'd lost to Hibs but I do feel a new manager needs several windows to get a fair crack at it. 

Interested to see what he does in January.

Here’s hoping it’s better than the summer. 

Darren Mowbray will have a big influence compared to then. 
Here’s hoping he does better than his alleged first contribution in Austin Samuels 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Here’s hoping it’s better than the summer. 

Darren Mowbray will have a big influence compared to then. 
Here’s hoping he does better than his alleged first contribution in Austin Samuels 

To be fair, he was just on the door and had very little time to get someone in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Here’s hoping it’s better than the summer. 

Darren Mowbray will have a big influence compared to then. 
Here’s hoping he does better than his alleged first contribution in Austin Samuels 

We do need someone to keep tabs on the English market but I hope Mowbray or someone at the club monitors the lower leagues and youngsters in Scotland too for potential signings. There isn't a cornucopia of talent in Scotland; however, there are gems to be found occasionally that can be picked up relatively, in comparison to England, cheaply. We certainly seem to have missed out on youngsters from the surrounding area in recent times, for example, with Armstrong, the Souttars and Ryan Gauld.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Bob Mahelp
35 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

We do need someone to keep tabs on the English market but I hope Mowbray or someone at the club monitors the lower leagues and youngsters in Scotland too for potential signings. There isn't a cornucopia of talent in Scotland; however, there are gems to be found occasionally that can be picked up relatively, in comparison to England, cheaply. We certainly seem to have missed out on youngsters from the surrounding area in recent times, for example, with Armstrong, the Souttars and Ryan Gauld.

We've been very poor for years now at looking at players right under our nose. 

There's virtually no difference between the teams in the Championship and most of the Premiership, and there are players in there that could do a job for most Premiership teams. 

I honestly can't remember the last player we signed from a lower league side in Scotland. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

We've been very poor for years now at looking at players right under our nose. 

There's virtually no difference between the teams in the Championship and most of the Premiership, and there are players in there that could do a job for most Premiership teams. 

I honestly can't remember the last player we signed from a lower league side in Scotland. 

 

Shankland I’d guess 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

We've been very poor for years now at looking at players right under our nose. 

There's virtually no difference between the teams in the Championship and most of the Premiership, and there are players in there that could do a job for most Premiership teams. 

I honestly can't remember the last player we signed from a lower league side in Scotland. 

 

According to transfermarkt it was Cerny in 18/19 from Partick. Tansey from Inverness the year before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...