The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Given that statement, I doubt very much that you watched the Ayr v Hamilton match on Friday night.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

I’d say there’s a huge jump between the Championship and where we should be aiming (European places). We’ve had a mix of success with other Prem players (Shinnie, McLean vs Devlin, Kennedy) but I’d rather we continued going for that kind of player than look at players at a level below.

Both true lads. I suppose that I'm looking on it from the pov that in cup ties there's generally very little difference between the sides in different leagues (non OF premiership v Championship) and it's never really looked upon as a shock these days if the lower league side wins. 

That wasn't the case maybe even 20 years ago. 

Hibs showed with Nisbet that you can take players straight out of the Championship and within a year or so make them internationalists. David Bates played 37 games at lower league level (most of them on loan to East Stirling and Brechin) before a brief stop at Rangers, then ending up with Hamburg. 

The general level of players in the Championship is not that high, I agree. But that doesn't mean that there aren't some diamonds in there. 

We just never seem to be interested in looking for them. 

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Both true lads. I suppose that I'm looking on it from the pov that in cup ties there's generally very little difference between the sides in different leagues (non OF premiership v Championship) and it's never really looked upon as a shock these days if the lower league side wins. 

That wasn't the case maybe even 20 years ago. 

Hibs showed with Nisbet that you can take players straight out of the Championship and within a year or so make them internationalists. David Bates played 37 games at lower league level (most of them on loan to East Stirling and Brechin) before a brief stop at Rangers, then ending up with Hamburg. 

The general level of players in the Championship is not that high, I agree. But that doesn't mean that there aren't some diamonds in there. 

We just never seem to be interested in looking for them. 

I have been to a lot of games at all levels in Scotland, and the championship in general is a long way from 3/4/5 in the premiership. 
There are occasionally though a decent young player or 2 worth a punt and the cost would usually be low.

Overall not a great market with Nisbet being the best recent example.

4 hours ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Cormack says he's targeting 15k season ticket holders within 3 years but the new stadium will only hold 16-17k. Makes sense.

Yes , it does actually.  At present , non-ST holders who perhaps go mainly to the bigger games know that they’ll have no trouble getting a ticket for the bigger games. A smaller capacity might make them less sure of getting those tickets thus encouraging them to get a season ticket

7 hours ago, A96 said:

Yes , it does actually.  At present , non-ST holders who perhaps go mainly to the bigger games know that they’ll have no trouble getting a ticket for the bigger games. A smaller capacity might make them less sure of getting those tickets thus encouraging them to get a season ticket

I doubt this would sell three figures worth of STs. Who knows though. 

9 hours ago, A96 said:

Come now... do you really believe this?

14 hours ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Cormack says he's targeting 15k season ticket holders within 3 years but the new stadium will only hold 16-17k. Makes sense.

ST holders to be able to sell their seats if they aren't going to attend. I'd be willing to bet that this will only (legally) be through the club and they pocket the difference between the ST and walk up price + handling fees on both ends.

As long as they include potential for expansion in the plans & facilities required I'd rather see a mostly full stadium each home game. The minimum for UEFA cat 4 is 8k so will be fine for if we ever get to the main part of a European competition and any of the shitter Scotland games.

6 minutes ago, HunterAFC said:

ST holders to be able to sell their seats if they aren't going to attend. I'd be willing to bet that this will only (legally) be through the club and they pocket the difference between the ST and walk up price + handling fees on both ends.

As long as they include potential for expansion in the plans & facilities required I'd rather see a mostly full stadium each home game. The minimum for UEFA cat 4 is 8k so will be fine for if we ever get to the main part of a European competition and any of the shitter Scotland games.

Do we not need 10k for SPL rules anyway? 

13 minutes ago, HunterAFC said:

That's what he's saying, 30% of ST holders don't turn up. But there's no guarantee they'll all offer their ticket for resale. 

Also says the difference between a 16-17k stadium and a 20k one could be £10m+. No idea how that's the case. Sounds like shite.

Do we not need 10k for SPL rules anyway? 

No, not since they changed it to 6000 when Caley came up. I believe the requirement now is a bronze(?) level licensed ground which you would need 500 covered seats (I think) in order to gain.

So if Arbroath get promoted they’d be able to play at Gayfield.

20 minutes ago, A96 said:

Yes. I’m pretty sure that’s why Hearts season ticket sales went up significantly a few years back when the capacity was only about 18k

Hearts attendances have steadily risen since 2011/12. Season tickets generally mirror that rise, outside of major events like Covid (sales down) or administration (sales up):

https://www.fitbastats.com/hearts/club_records_league_attendance.php

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/heart-of-midlothian-fc/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/43

Our capacity has not really fluctuated that much save a few hundred here or there with stadium and pitch issues. I certainly dont remember any massive decrease, and a mirrored increase in season ticket sales as a result. If anything, since we built the new stand and increased the capacity, we have seen more season tickets sold, following the general steady annual increase.

Edited by Kyle Reese

1 minute ago, lubo_blaha said:

No, not since they changed it to 6000 when Caley came up. I believe the requirement now is a bronze(?) level licensed ground which you would need 500 covered seats (I think) in order to gain.

So if Arbroath get promoted they’d be able to play at Gayfield.

That needs to happen. The record/sun columnists will have a meltdown about what the English will think. That's a character building ground. 

2 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

That's what he's saying, 30% of ST holders don't turn up. But there's no guarantee they'll all offer their ticket for resale. 

Also says the difference between a 16-17k stadium and a 20k one could be £10m+. No idea how that's the case. Sounds like shite.

I guess that stadia have increasing marginal costs? First 4-5,000 seats on the ground floor, then the next on the second storey. So if you're adding a fourth or fifth storey you have to pay for the three or four below it too.