The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This is the first time that I’ve felt that maybe (and I do mean maybe) I’ve been hasty with glass. 

Not tucking into a bowl of humble pie yet though. 

Me neither, maybe wait to January, 3 big games still to come in December yet, Hibs away, Dundee home (can't lose that) and them home, then County away in January.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Me neither, maybe wait to January, 3 big games still to come in December yet, Hibs away, Dundee home (can't lose that) and them home, then County away in January.

Agree. But it looked at one point that we’d struggle against any teams that are traditionally organised and hard to beat but 3 wins in a row including livi and saintees means I may have been wrong.

Today in particular we dug that out and I didn’t think that it was in our Arsenal. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Agree. But it looked at one point that we’d struggle against any teams that are traditionally organised and hard to beat but 3 wins in a row including livi and saintees means I may have been wrong.

Today in particular we dug that out and I didn’t think that it was in our Arsenal. 

Yes, that is encouraging.

1 minute ago, Sheep62 said:

Of course you'll be preprared to share the source of this nugget ?

"PLZ Soccer at 4pm. Yeah, I know the guy Peter Martin is a fat erse but he is very well connected and his sources are usually solid.

Said us and Dundee are “sniffing”."

Sooth_Stander on AFC chat

2 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

"PLZ Soccer at 4pm. Yeah, I know the guy Peter Martin is a fat erse but he is very well connected and his sources are usually solid.

Said us and Dundee are “sniffing”."

Sooth_Stander on AFC chat

AFC Chat FFS

You take that as a reliable source min 😂

Full of 24 carot gold zoomers

Thought that was a poor performance today. Thankfully the saintees are absolutely powder upfront, with 1 close call when their header hit the post I think?

So slow in possession and no desire to get the ball forward with any urgency or penetration. The movement of the forwards was almost solely to drop deep, making it all too predictable. For all his nice touches, I really think JET is a big part of this problem. Unfortunately Hayes use of the ball in the final third when decent moves were built was dreadful. 
Will be a massive help when Ramsay is back.

Top finish from Jenks, who deserves to start ahead of JET or at least should have been on at half time.

9 minutes ago, big al said:

Thought that was a poor performance today. Thankfully the saintees are absolutely powder upfront, with 1 close call when their header hit the post I think?

So slow in possession and no desire to get the ball forward with any urgency or penetration. The movement of the forwards was almost solely to drop deep, making it all too predictable. For all his nice touches, I really think JET is a big part of this problem. Unfortunately Hayes use of the ball in the final third when decent moves were built was dreadful. 
Will be a massive help when Ramsay is back.

Top finish from Jenks, who deserves to start ahead of JET or at least should have been on at half time.

JET was really good today and we’ve won every game since he’s been reintroduced. 

13 minutes ago, big al said:

Second game in a row that has been a substitution

In terms of what they bring to the team they are totally different

JET - Lovely flicks, lays the ball off nicely, no pace, not a huge goal threat

Jenks - Pace, energetic, good tackler, pocesses goal threat

Difficult one and horses for courses

Edited by Sheep62

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

JET was really good today and we’ve won every game since he’s been reintroduced. 

Subbing JET for Jenks has been the difference the last 2 games though.

Most of JETs silky play is far too deep where he can’t hurt the opponents. I would go as far as to say St Johnston were happy to let him do his thing near the halfway line.

8 minutes ago, big al said:

Subbing JET for Jenks has been the difference the last 2 games though.

Most of JETs silky play is far too deep where he can’t hurt the opponents. I would go as far as to say St Johnston were happy to let him do his thing near the halfway line.

Jenks has made a positive impact in the last two games clearly but singling JET out as the problem seems very unfair tbh. 

I thought hedges and watkins were far more culpable today of being wasteful and not producing anything in the final third. 

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Jenks has made a positive impact in the last two games clearly but singling JET out as the problem seems very unfair tbh. 

I thought hedges and watkins were far more culpable today of being wasteful and not producing anything in the final third. 

Yeah, spot on. I did say he was a big part of the problem, but none of the  front 3 had a good game either.

I’m always hoping Hedges is going to show abit more than he does, but at least he has more movement and will close down opponents. 

Must also credit St Johnston, defensively and in midfield they handled us pretty well.

5 minutes ago, big al said:

Yeah, spot on. I did say he was a big part of the problem, but none of the  front 3 had a good game either.

I’m always hoping Hedges is going to show abit more than he does, but at least he has more movement and will close down opponents. 

Must also credit St Johnston, defensively and in midfield they handled us pretty well.

I do get it in that JET clearly has a lot of ability and it would be nice if he contributed more at the business end of the pitch but what he does do by drifting into pockets is create space for watkins and hedges in an otherwise packed final third, which has paid dividends in the past few games. 

Jenks is a bit different and has more energy and gets beyond the forwards which is great too and it’s good to have those options. 

Good to see a win but I see a real problem with the way we attack. Any time we broke through St Johnstone lines we then stopped and sideways passed round their box. This is far removed from the hayes/mginn cut to the byline then nice cross.

ETA
not that it's a bad way to attack but it seems to play into the let us have the ball and do nothing narrative.

Considering how poor the condition of the pitch was I think it's a great 3 points.

St Johnstone are a stuffy, boring side but hard to break down. Thankfully a piece of hand-y play by Teddy gave us a hard earned win.

Watkins and Hedges stunk the place out today. I wonder if JET would be much more effective through the middle as I don't remember him being shoved off the ball once today but he is wasted playing so deep.

We’ve had our fair share of dodgy decisions against us this season so I’ll take it but St. J fans will rightly feel aggrieved. 
Watkins was having a mare and I didn’t even realise Hedges was playing until near the end of the first half. 
We rode our luck at times but a welcome 3 points. 3 wins on the bounce and now only a point off 4th.
What a difference a few wins can make, the league is tight this year.

2 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

Considering how poor the condition of the pitch was I think it's a great 3 points.

St Johnstone are a stuffy, boring side but hard to break down. Thankfully a piece of hand-y play by Teddy gave us a hard earned win.

Watkins and Hedges stunk the place out today. I wonder if JET would be much more effective through the middle as I don't remember him being shoved off the ball once today but he is wasted playing so deep.

It shows how values have changed.  A team approaching the game as St J did today back in the 80s would have got zero sympathy for losing because of a dodgy refereeing decision.  Thinking of Partick Thistle under Auld and the like.  Everybody would have thought, this is cynical anti-football and even if it took a bit of bad luck for them to lose it still serves the b*****ds right.

Not having a pop at St Johnstone.  The way they approached the game is so par for the course nowadays everybody thinks its perfectly legitimate, and why shouldn't they if it maximises their chances of points. But I still think a manager claiming his team were "magnificent" when they had 38% possession at home against a stuttering Aberdeen side and girning that their loss was undeserved is a grim commentary on SPL football's claim to be a form of entertainment.

Edited by Game of throw-ins

2 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

It shows how values have changed.  A team approaching the game as St J did today back in the 80s would have got zero sympathy for losing because of a dodgy refereeing decision.  Thinking of Partick Thistle under Auld and the like.  Everybody would have thought, this is cynical anti-football and even if it took a bit of bad luck for them to lose it still serves the b*****ds right.

Not having a pop at St Johnstone.  The way they approached the game is so par for the course nowadays everybody thinks its perfectly legitimate, and why shouldn't they if it maximises their chances of points. But I still think a manager claiming his team were "magnificent" when they had 38% possession at home against a stuttering Aberdeen side and girning that their loss was undeserved is a grim commentary on SPL football's claim to be a form of entertainment.

I only saw the second half, but to me St Johnstone were the team looking most likely to score and, more importantly, showing more attacking intent as the game wore on. They were getting in and around our box more than us and seemed to be getting more bodies in our box than us.  Our defence seemed to have to be doing more desperate defending than they did. 

Great three points but our goal was more out of the blue than if it had been scored at the other end.

Possession stats are meaningless without further information about which part of the pitch the team had possession