The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Ha. I actually thought Marley hung Hayes out to dry a bit in the second half. Was a bit lazy tracking his man and left Hayes against two several times.

They maybe need a fair run of games together but I can't say I'd be hoping to see the pair of them line up together next season.

Aberdeen won today, playing very good football. Maybe next week we can go back to keeping it tight at the back and playing it long to the big man in the channels.

Bob has a point though. Today was a good day for glass but the challenge is to get it consistently. On another day we don’t score two quickfire goals and st Mirren take one of their early chances. 

It’s still 6 wins out of 17 in the league which Is a very poor return. 

There is something about what glass wants to do but if we don’t sort ourselves out defensively it’ll be worthless. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Aberdeen won today, playing very good football. Maybe next week we can go back to keeping it tight at the back and playing it long to the big man in the channels.

That, of course, is the very opposite of what I said. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Bob has a point though. Today was a good day for glass but the challenge is to get it consistently. On another day we don’t score two quickfire goals and st Mirren take one of their early chances. 

It’s still 6 wins out of 17 in the league which Is a very poor return. 

There is something about what glass wants to do but if we don’t sort ourselves out defensively it’ll be worthless. 

It's nitpicking in the extreme.

Plenty happy to hold the manager to a different set of standards to the last (and I've slated him when he's fucked up) but rarely giving credit where it's due.

St Mirren targeted us down our left hand side today. The player in question is someone we can't afford to punt because someone else signed him to a very good contract when it was obvious we should never have taken him back. Hard to blame the manager for that.

What do people actually want from Glass?

Because, if it's a team which has the same attacking threat and plays the same quality of football from middle to front as we have seen over the last two games, but is also unbelievably solid at the back and doesn't give away virtually any chances, I think they are going to be disappointed. 

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Because, if it's a team which has the same attacking threat and plays the same quality of football from middle to front as we have seen over the last two games, but is also unbelievably solid at the back and doesn't give away virtually any chances, I think they are going to be disappointed. 

I get your point but the balance is if the style of play prevents you from consistently getting results then it needs to change. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
18 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

And what you said had very little relevance to what I said.

No idea what you're meaning by that. 

I'm as happy as anyone with our attacking performance today, but we surely can't ignore the fact that the defence needs some work ? 

Without tightening up our defence we'll never find the consistency and ultimately the success that we all want. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
15 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Surely that's why he was appointed in the first place, to give us exactly that ?  To take us to 'the next level' ? 

Otherwise, why change and appoint him in the first place ? 

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, HarleyQuinn said:

Glass needs to start getting results away from home.

We just need consistency over a period of 5 or 6 games.

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Surely that's why he was appointed in the first place, to give us exactly that ?  To take us to 'the next level' ? 

Otherwise, why change and appoint him in the first place ? 

Yeah, I'm not taking that bait. Enjoy your night. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Yeah, I'm not taking that bait. Enjoy your night. 

Sorry my friend, no fishing intended. We all want the same thing. 

Have a great night, let's enjoy a good win 😀

Will Stephen Glass get anywhere near the win ratio of Derek McInnes, (above 53%) by the end of this season? No.
Will he start pushing towards it after another year in charge? It would be a stretch with the current squad and without investment. He’s currently on just over 35%. It’s a transparent measure of progress over time, guess it all depends how patient the fans are prepared to be?

3 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Will Stephen Glass get anywhere near the win ratio of Derek McInnes, (above 53%) by the end of this season? No.
Will he start pushing towards it after another year in charge? It would be a stretch with the current squad and without investment. He’s currently on just over 35%. It’s a transparent measure of progress over time, guess it all depends how patient the fans are prepared to be?

Stephen Glass also manages in a more competitive league.

Very pleased with that today. As mentioned, the defence needs work, but starting to see a better understanding of the system from McCrorie and Bates. It really does heavily rely on individual performances, and total concentration as opposed to a rigid, defence in numbers kind of system that is so prevalent in Scotland. It's little wonder the defenders have taken time to settle into that way of playing, it's completely different to what they all will have grown up being taught.

Still, when you see the way we played going forward today, it really bodes well imo. As others have said we need the consistency there now. As Glass said himself, we need to stand up to a physical battle next week.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Hmm not so sure. Days like today are great but you play so open every week and the law of averages determines that results will be erratic at best. 

A team like St Johnstone who battle and scrap for everything will be a better guide of whether we genuinely have turned the corner. A big game at Perth next Saturday.