The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

7 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

It could be a number of things; as you've suggested could be down to Brooner being a natural organiser/motivator. Also, I think we're a lot less susceptible to the long diagonal cross ball with a back 3, meaning the full backs bombing on isn't such a clear disadvantage during the counter attack.

Yeah, overlooked that tbh.

I felt it suited Brown to be in the back 3 last night. If he was in midfield, they have too much movement for him and he would struggle. 
Just saw his goal on a video clip for the first time, beauty of a diving header. Was hard to see properly from the far corner.

Credit where it's due, I didn't see us getting 4 points from these games, arguably could have been 6, and if we reserve the right to criticize when managers get it wrong let's give them the praise they deserve when they get it right.  Glass has earned a well-deserved reprieve and hopefully builds on it on Saturday.

But I don't think it's a co-incidence that these better results have come in the first two league games where we didn't dominate possession.  We sacked a guy whose philosophy was "my job is to maximise the probability of my team getting a result" and replaced him with a guy who was supposed to deliver expansive football. 

Circumstances (injuries, poor form, playing the league's better sides) have forced Glass to be pragmatic and it's worked.

(Ironically, Glass has worked out how to get our fans to appreciate an ugly one-goal win: 10 games without a win first).

The question is. where do we go from here?  Back to the cavalier stuff that wasn't working or stick with the more pragmatic approach?  And if it's the latter, why did we sack a guy that was good at it and replace him with a guy who's learning the ropes?

Obviously more encouraging than a week ago, but my scepticism that Cormack's experiment with expansive football can work hasn't gone away.

Edited by Game of throw-ins

11 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Credit where it's due, I didn't see us getting 4 points from these games, arguably could have been 6, and if we reserve the right to criticize when managers get it wrong let's give them the praise they deserve when they get it right.  Glass has earned a well-deserved reprieve and hopefully builds on it on Saturday.

But I don't think it's a co-incidence that these better results have come in the first two league games where we didn't dominate possession.  We sacked a guy whose philosophy was "my job is to maximise the probability of my team getting a result" and replaced him with a guy who was supposed to deliver expansive football. 

Circumstances (injuries, poor form, playing the league's better sides) have forced Glass to be pragmatic and it's worked.

(Ironically, Glass has worked out how to get our fans to appreciate an ugly one-goal win: 10 games without a win first).

The question is. where do we go from here?  Back to the cavalier stuff that wasn't working or stick with the more pragmatic approach?  And if it's the latter, why did we sack a guy that was good at it and replace him with a guy who's learning the ropes?

Obviously more encouraging than a week ago, but my scepticism that Cormack's experiment with expansive football can work hasn't gone away.

There's room for both.

What we saw from Hibs on Saturday is what Derek gave us for the last 18 months or so (bar that ace three months last season). When you stop grinding out results with that style then you have a problem.

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

There's room for both.

What we saw from Hibs on Saturday is what Derek gave us for the last 18 months or so (bar that ace three months last season). When you stop grinding out results with that style then you have a problem.

Yeap, there's room for both. 

But the hard yards have to be done first. Let's start winning games....no matter how....and then build confidence, tactics, and a style of play that allows us to be both as tight as a duck's arse at the back and incisive up front. 

I'm just glad to see us scrapping for everything in the last 2 games. 

What still worries me is that some of these decisions have seemed like no brainers for weeks now.

A back three suits our current defensive personnel - none of Gallagher, Bates or McCrorie is good enough to be left exposed in a two, especially given two young full-backs playing high up the park.

The young full-backs were being over utilised and are perhaps better suited as wing-backs. Their attacking prowess has been offset by defensive naïveté - not all their own fault, but what they were being instructed to do.

Brown is too similar to plenty other midfield options and perhaps his experience at this stage in his career is best used as a sweeper. Having a player like McGeouch sitting on the bench each week is a waste.

it has worked in the last two matches - Hedges and Watkins being options has also clearly helped - but the fact that without the injuries, Glass and his coaching team may still be batting on with that ludicrous open formation is still a worry.

What maybe had been proved is that spirits do still remain good - despite what Lewis sorry Derek sorry Frank McAvennie may have been saying to the tabloid weegia.

16 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

What maybe had been proved is that spirits do still remain good - despite what Lewis sorry Derek sorry Frank McAvennie may have been saying to the tabloid weegia.

Was at the game last weekend (first time in a good while) and that was one of the things that struck me, even though they were on that terrible run, they looked like a team that were still trying and fighting for each other. 

12 hours ago, tarapoa said:

What still worries me is that some of these decisions have seemed like no brainers for weeks now.

A back three suits our current defensive personnel - none of Gallagher, Bates or McCrorie is good enough to be left exposed in a two, especially given two young full-backs playing high up the park.

The young full-backs were being over utilised and are perhaps better suited as wing-backs. Their attacking prowess has been offset by defensive naïveté - not all their own fault, but what they were being instructed to do.

Brown is too similar to plenty other midfield options and perhaps his experience at this stage in his career is best used as a sweeper. Having a player like McGeouch sitting on the bench each week is a waste.

it has worked in the last two matches - Hedges and Watkins being options has also clearly helped - but the fact that without the injuries, Glass and his coaching team may still be batting on with that ludicrous open formation is still a worry.

That's the case with almost every manager in football though. It's the same with almost anyone in their own job.

That's the case with almost every manager in football though. It's the same with almost anyone in their own job.

Agree - but hopefully now they are realising that getting the basics right and building on that is a much better way to get confidence into this squad and good things should come from that, as we have got very good players.

Trying to solve world hunger overnight and turn us into the harlem globetrotters was only ever going to end one way.

Sometimes it’s fine just to nick a win - if teams do that consistently then the chances are some of the games will be entertaining, other less so - but either are more fun than watching opponents get easy goals.

Tomorrow’s opponents will doubtless come up with their usual $hitfest tactics - against certain AFC regimes, they would almost always go back down the road with a 1-0 win.
Confident that won’t be the case tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Agree - but hopefully now they are realising that getting the basics right and building on that is a much better way to get confidence into this squad and good things should come from that, as we have got very good players.

Trying to solve world hunger overnight and turn us into the harlem globetrotters was only ever going to end one way.

Sometimes it’s fine just to nick a win - if teams do that consistently then the chances are some of the games will be entertaining, other less so - but either are more fun than watching opponents get easy goals.

Tomorrow’s opponents will doubtless come up with their usual $hitfest tactics - against certain AFC regimes, they would almost always go back down the road with a 1-0 win.
Confident that won’t be the case tomorrow.

The fans stayed back to applaud the players off against Hibs last week and it was well deserved. Grinding out a win against league rivals with a depleted line up will always be appreciated by the fans. If it were to be the case that we were winning like that every week then I don't think there's going to be too many staying back afterwards.

FWIW I thought we were knocking it about very nicely on Saturday. I've said for a few weeks that the final bass in to the box needs to be a bit better. The pass Campbell made on Wednesday night is what Hedges has been trying for weeks and it just hasn't come off. Small moments like that are forgotten when you're on the end of a one goal defeat.

On 22/09/2021 at 14:43, Merkland Red said:

Glad I missed that shite and had better stuff to do over the course of the weekend. Was grim enough looking at the match thread on Saturday afternoon.

It's going to be interesting to see how we get on against the teams that are going to come out and have a go at us rather than sitting back hoping to counter.

When you know, you know lads.