The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Ah, but the memories...

Aberdeen 1 Queen's Park 1 (scraped through the replay)

Aberdeen 1 Ayr United 2

Aberdeen 1 Hibs 3 (Summer Cup Final Replay)

Aberdeen 0 East Fife 0 (Exit Pearson, enter Turnbull - ultimately a good memory)

Dunno if you've read Eddie Turnbull's autobiography. He spoke very fondly of his time at Aberdeen and his wife loved the city. When he arrived he was shocked at the state of the club. I liked the bit where he told Jock Stein to "F**k Off" after Stein whinged after a match where Aberdeen beat Celtic that they wouldn't have played as well if they'd been playing blue jerseys.

Edited by AndyM

2 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Dunno if you've read Eddie Turnbull's autobiography. He spoke very fondly of his time at Aberdeen and his wife loved the city. When he arrived he was shocked at the state of the club. I liked the bit where he told Jock Stein to "F**k Off" after Stein whinged after a match where Aberdeen beat Celtic that they wouldn't have played as well if they'd been playing blue jerseys.

I don't think I have, tbh, a big miss on my part.

Turnbull turned the Dons round and laid the foundations for success, (and won the cup) I don't think he gets enough credit, but I suppose it is almost 50 years since he left.

Didn't he release something like 17 players at the end of season 1964/65, having only been there a few weeks?

He was a tough character, hardly surprising having served on the Arctic Convoys during the war.

48 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't think I have, tbh, a big miss on my part.

Turnbull turned the Dons round and laid the foundations for success, (and won the cup) I don't think he gets enough credit, but I suppose it is almost 50 years since he left.

Didn't he release something like 17 players at the end of season 1964/65, having only been there a few weeks?

He was a tough character, hardly surprising having served on the Arctic Convoys during the war.

Absolutely this. The Donalds took a risk with him and it was the second best managerial risk they took. Turned the club in the right direction and heading for a long awaited Cup. The AFC George Kinnell obit (link back a page or so) tells a lot about the state of the club at that time.

A great man and - as you say - underappreciated by history.  But a Hibee. 

2 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

Absolutely this. The Donalds took a risk with him and it was the second best managerial risk they took. Turned the club in the right direction and heading for a long awaited Cup. The AFC George Kinnell obit (link back a page or so) tells a lot about the state of the club at that time.

A great man and - as you say - underappreciated by history.  But a Hibee. 

Ach, well, naebody's perfect...

Eddie Turnbull is the only man to have managed two different teams which beat Jock Stein's 9 in a row team in cup finals.

1 hour ago, AndyM said:

Thanks for this @AndyM. A Christmas present suggestion for @Jacksgranda?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eddie-Turnbull-Having-Ball/dp/1845961870

2 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

Thanks for this @AndyM. A Christmas present suggestion for @Jacksgranda?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eddie-Turnbull-Having-Ball/dp/1845961870

Hmmm.

I might have that after all, I'll have to have a wee hoak about.

The Turnbull bio is a pretty good read, although Aberdeen fans will obviously be mainly interested in his time at Pittodrie.  I can't remember if it's in the book itself or something he said in a separate interview, but even though he ended up a season ticket holder at Easter Road he described leaving Aberdeen to manage Hibs as the worst mistake he ever made. Let his heart rule his head and regretted it.

Edited by Game of throw-ins

38 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

The Turnbull bio is a pretty good read, although Aberdeen fans will obviously be mainly interested in his time at Pittodrie.  I can't remember if it's in the book itself or something he said in a separate interview, but even though he ended up a season ticket holder at Easter Road he described leaving Aberdeen to manage Hibs as the worst mistake he ever made. Let his heart rule his head and regretted it.

He would undoubtedly have won the league with Aberdeen the season after they just lost out in the second last match of season 1970/71. The heart was ripped out of the club when he went to Hibs.

Braved listening to the interview today and I didn't enjoy much of it. He clearly backed his man and gave out about data etc.

But even among that, he identified two issues - the leaky defence and the lack of creativity and conversion of chances into goals. McInnes went because he couldn't solve the latter issue. Glass has come in and not only hasn't fixed that but has also saw a real decline in our ability to keep the ball out of our own net.

So Dave can talk about data, performances, silent majorities and other boards sympathising with him - what will get the fans on board is a winning football team.

At some point, his management team are going to have to compromise on style to stop leaking goals. If we don't have the creative side, you need to be solid, hard to beat and be a bit boring to win games.

If Glass can't do that, Cormack will have to admit defeat.

However, despite all the bizarre nature of some of the interview, him having a go at Kenny MacIntyre was thoroughly enjoyable and is the latest in a number of folk in the game to do so.

I listened to the interview today and as enjoyable as it is to see Aberdeen struggling, I thought he came over pretty well. Great to see Kenny getting his head kicked in a bit too. I can understand the frustration of the Dons fans but it’s too early to be sacking Glass surely.

9 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I listened to the interview today and as enjoyable as it is to see Aberdeen struggling, I thought he came over pretty well. Great to see Kenny getting his head kicked in a bit too. I can understand the frustration of the Dons fans but it’s too early to be sacking Glass surely.

Much later and I fear it will be too late, tbh.

Never too early to sack a manager. Ask mad Vlad. Was looking up shortest managerial reigns today and hearts figure prominently.

Burley obviously (12 games) but a name I couldn't even remember was the shortest. Eugenijus Riabovas 2 games. 

Sauzee for Hibs as well. Barnes obviously (but that was just racist celtic fans that got rid of him. 🤔 )

8 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

What he's absolutely correct about is the decision making at the top end. Too often we are shooting when there's a pass on. Or trying to thread the ball through the eye of a needle whilst a shooting opportunity is on.

Look at the first goal from Saturday. Hedges should have been having a shot on goal there.

What has been blatantly obvious all season is the two centre halves get exposed when the two full backs are up the pitch (on instruction). 
A long diagonal and the opposition are in.

A simple solution; Play 3 central defenders if the full backs are pushed up.

Three players covering the width of the pitch as opposed to two. 

Interesting to note that in Ingerlund various health bodies are warning the Government of an impending crisis unless action is taken now to combat the current rise in the impact of Covid. The PM has declared that the statistics tell him everything is fine, no need to panic, we're doing everything right. I suspect his top advisor is presently one Mr Cormack.

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Never too early to sack a manager. Ask mad Vlad. Was looking up shortest managerial reigns today and hearts figure prominently.

Burley obviously (12 games) but a name I couldn't even remember was the shortest. Eugenijus Riabovas 2 games. 

Sauzee for Hibs as well. Barnes obviously (but that was just racist celtic fans that got rid of him. 🤔 )

I think “never too early to sack a manager” doesn’t really apply to Burley. In fact that example you give highlights the exact opposite. 

28 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I think “never too early to sack a manager” doesn’t really apply to Burley. In fact that example you give highlights the exact opposite. 

I wasn't actually highlighting him as someone who should have been sacked. Just that he was sacked after a short time. I was looking to see who lasted the shortest time regardless of results. Barnes had a 65% win rate but still got the boot. Burley had 75%.

Leroy Rosenior allegedly takes the prize for shortest ever stint, though it wasn't in Scotland. Sacked after 10.minutes so the story goes.

28 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I wasn't actually highlighting him as someone who should have been sacked. Just that he was sacked after a short time. I was looking to see who lasted the shortest time regardless of results. Barnes had a 65% win rate but still got the boot. Burley had 75%.

Leroy Rosenior allegedly takes the prize for shortest ever stint, though it wasn't in Scotland. Sacked after 10.minutes so the story goes.

Win rates are meaningless. It's posession stats you need. 

I finaly listened to the Cormack interview b4 work today, after reading much of the chat and views. I was braced for the very worst, and was pleasantly surprised. Sure, there was a lot of protecting Glass, some of which was questionable at best, but i liked it. I only hope, certainly not expect, that we get a result v Hibs and start to turn the corner. #preparefortheworsthopeforthebest

Stand Free [emoji120]

I see Glass has now commented on the interview. Lifted his quotes from the Daily Record so you can see what he's said without their sensationalism around it:

"There’s a group of people who put me in charge of this club and believe in me and the staff I have put together amidst a lot of outside influences who want to twist it a certain way.

"I listened to the show the other night. I don’t listen to anything else but I knew he was going to be on it.

"It sounded very much like they were pushing the chairman towards saying he should be sacking me. But he held strong to his belief that we are the right group of people to lead the club and the players are capable of getting ourselves out of the hole that we’re in at the moment. The support is appreciated. I hope to repay it.

"The fuel that we’ve got is trying to prove people right - not prove people wrong. The positive influences in my life are the people I’m trying to prove right. That’s how I work."

Asked why there would be an agenda to have him sacked, Glass replied: ”It comes from an opportunity to kick a club when it is down, I think that is where it comes from.

"I think any fair-minded person who switched on the radio, as I did having not listened to a radio show for years, and it gets introduced and you hear all the goals going in against you, and you hear the stats being read out, it is pretty clear what the agenda is there.

“I know there are a lot of right-minded people in the media and there are a lot of people who are shock jocks if you like, and their job is to provoke and make noise. If it is not me it will be another manager. It is pretty evident there are people out there and that’s their job.

“But only we can change the results and only we can change people’s ability to question us like that.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-glass-unloads-aberdeen-shock-25262366.amp?

Nothing as insane as Cormack came out with there, but I did chuckle at "the stats being read out, it is pretty clear what the agenda is there."

If stating objective facts about a football club's results can be interpreted as an agenda against a manager, it tells you something about the performance of that manager.

13 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

What has been blatantly obvious all season is the two centre halves get exposed when the two full backs are up the pitch (on instruction). 
A long diagonal and the opposition are in.

A simple solution; Play 3 central defenders if the full backs are pushed up.

Three players covering the width of the pitch as opposed to two. 

I've posted several times in the last couple of weeks that both full backs charging up the pitch is causing issue and the solution could be as simple as one of them tucking in to make a back three while the other pushes on.

18 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I see Glass has now commented on the interview. Lifted his quotes from the Daily Record so you can see what he's said without their sensationalism around it:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-glass-unloads-aberdeen-shock-25262366.amp?

Nothing as insane as Cormack came out with there, but I did chuckle at "the stats being read out, it is pretty clear what the agenda is there."

If stating objective facts about a football club's results can be interpreted as an agenda against a manager, it tells you something about the performance of that manager.

In fairness to him, I wouldn’t expect him to say much different. 

There clearly is a media ‘agenda’ to create noise around his job but it’s nothing more sinister than he is clearly the worst performing manager in the league at one of the bigger clubs so it’s newsworthy.