The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Braved listening to the interview today and I didn't enjoy much of it. He clearly backed his man and gave out about data etc.

But even among that, he identified two issues - the leaky defence and the lack of creativity and conversion of chances into goals. McInnes went because he couldn't solve the latter issue. Glass has come in and not only hasn't fixed that but has also saw a real decline in our ability to keep the ball out of our own net.

So Dave can talk about data, performances, silent majorities and other boards sympathising with him - what will get the fans on board is a winning football team.

At some point, his management team are going to have to compromise on style to stop leaking goals. If we don't have the creative side, you need to be solid, hard to beat and be a bit boring to win games.

If Glass can't do that, Cormack will have to admit defeat.

However, despite all the bizarre nature of some of the interview, him having a go at Kenny MacIntyre was thoroughly enjoyable and is the latest in a number of folk in the game to do so.

9 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

The guy currently in that job is retiring, how exactly is hiring someone else to replace him a sign the club is miles behind everyone else?

Given all the nonsense Cormack seemingly said last night you should have probably stuck to that if you wanted to take the piss instead of making out like you're qualified to talk about the setup of every club in the league.

He is an even bigger nonsense speaker than me.

While I think he was a bit of a rambling mess, you cannot knock his passion for his club or him wanting to defend his first appointment. While it may not be working on the pitch, you feel Glass will be getting all he needs from his chairman.

What I took from the interview too is how unprofessional MacIntyre is as a host. Before the pundits are basically having to calm him down, you know he is not fit for the job.

Cormack was right to call him out. Would he be like that with say Dermott Desmond/Peter Lawell or Dave King etc if they were in the same position?

Would love the scenes from Cormack getting it right up some of these guys if Aberdeen have a good bounce. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

20 hours ago, Yenitit said:

Cormack was ripping the piss right from the start saying Willie Miller was the best pundit on Radio Scotland, holy f**k 🤦🏻‍♂️ Time to slash the wrist anytime Willie speaks. 

Willie did name the Scottish international midfielder who refused to track our opposing team's runners!

No wonder we never progressed beyond the group stages of the World Cup

10 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

In terms of a modern football club Aberdeen are way behind,The fact of just having a training centre in use recently is one example.

Modern purpose built training facilities are over-rated.

We've dropped like a stone since Cormack Park was opened, after years of being told how much we needed it.

Get back to the cones and dog-$hite at Seaton Park now.

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

What I took from the interview too is how unprofessional MacIntyre is as a host. Before the pundits are basically having to calm him down, you know he is not fit for the job.

As much as I would enjoy a bit of weegia bashing, not quite sure what MacIntyre did wrong here for Cormack to jump down his throat so soon.  Maybe it was just being Kenny MacIntyre.....

DC: The last five games have been highly disappointing but when I look at the facts and the data, these are not just 10 new players, it's a new system as well. We won five of the first six games, including two (?) against a top Swedish team. You guys were all heralding Stephen as a great appointment until recently.

KM: I'm not sure that's the case, to be honest.

DC: Kenny, You're going to listen to me for a minute.

KM: Absolutely, but I haven't heard a lot of people on here say Stephen Glass was a great appointment, I've got to be honest.

DC: Take a look back through the media after those first six, seven, eight games. The style of football and what we were doing. But if you just want to keep pelting questions at me this will be a short conversation.

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

It was season 1970-71  http://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=2960&season=1970-71&squad=Senior , you're probably thinking of the League Cup game in 1977-78  http://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=3274&season=1977-78&squad=Senior

ETA: He couldn't have left for St Johnstone before they played us, he scored an own goal in the match

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Totally boring facts. The 7-0 match was in December 1970 and was the week before I went to Celtic Park for the very first time when Joe Harper scored the only goal. In the Cowdenbeath match Andy Kinnell scored a double og and Joe Harper got a hat trick, with my favourite photo of him on his knees in front of the King Street End taken after his third goal.

You're both correct of course.

I'm thinking of the double legged league cup tie at the end of the 1970's, where I believe Joe Harper scored his record breaking goal. 

Feck me, we're old. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
14 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

As much as I would enjoy a bit of weegia bashing, not quite sure what MacIntyre did wrong here for Cormack to jump down his throat so soon.  Maybe it was just being Kenny MacIntyre.....

DC: The last five games have been highly disappointing but when I look at the facts and the data, these are not just 10 new players, it's a new system as well. We won five of the first six games, including two (?) against a top Swedish team. You guys were all heralding Stephen as a great appointment until recently.

KM: I'm not sure that's the case, to be honest.

DC: Kenny, You're going to listen to me for a minute.

KM: Absolutely, but I haven't heard a lot of people on here say Stephen Glass was a great appointment, I've got to be honest.

DC: Take a look back through the media after those first six, seven, eight games. The style of football and what we were doing. But if you just want to keep pelting questions at me this will be a short conversation.

All true. 

He was ready to fly off the handle, and did it at the first opportunity. 

If you look at what Cormack said last night in transcript....so get away from the audio and actually look at it....much of it was a heap of factually incorrect shite. 

Aside from the Motherwell garbage, what makes me shake my head the most is the (unchallenged) insistence that we have a whole new team learning 'a new system'.....as if experienced footballers have to come to Aberdeen under Glass and be astonished at the innovative tactical genius laid before them .

Cormack worryingly seems to be in another world from the actual facts laid before him. If he thinks the majority of Aberdeen fans are supporting him in this fantasy, he's got a shock coming. 

It could all slap him in the face at Pittodrie on Saturday, if things go badly. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

35 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It could all slap him in the face at Pittodrie on Saturday, if things go badly. 

Lets hope you're comfortably losing by half time, as theres a very high chance he responds to the team being booed off the park by going on the pitch with a microphone Delia Smith style.

13 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

What he's absolutely correct about is the decision making at the top end. Too often we are shooting when there's a pass on. Or trying to thread the ball through the eye of a needle whilst a shooting opportunity is on.

Look at the first goal from Saturday. Hedges should have been having a shot on goal there.

10 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

You're both correct of course.

I'm thinking of the double legged league cup tie at the end of the 1970's, where I believe Joe Harper scored his record breaking goal. 

Feck me, we're old. 

Ah, but the memories...

Aberdeen 1 Queen's Park 1 (scraped through the replay)

Aberdeen 1 Ayr United 2

Aberdeen 1 Hibs 3 (Summer Cup Final Replay)

Aberdeen 0 East Fife 0 (Exit Pearson, enter Turnbull - ultimately a good memory)

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Lets hope you're comfortably losing by half time, as theres a very high chance he responds to the team being booed off the park by going on the pitch with a microphone Delia Smith style.

:lol:

Guest Bob Mahelp
28 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

What he's absolutely correct about is the decision making at the top end. Too often we are shooting when there's a pass on. Or trying to thread the ball through the eye of a needle whilst a shooting opportunity is on.

Look at the first goal from Saturday. Hedges should have been having a shot on goal there.

Not surprisingly, the whole team has lost the confidence to try something out of the ordinary. 

That's why we end up with the midfield passing the ball sideways and backwards while the opposition re-groups. Nobody wants to be the one that tries to beat a player or make an incisive pass. 

It's the kind of risk free football that teams on a horrendous run of form always revert to. 

11 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Modern purpose built training facilities are over-rated.

We've dropped like a stone since Cormack Park was opened, after years of being told how much we needed it.

Get back to the cones and dog-$hite at Seaton Park now.

I would say that is a different debate M8,the simplistic approach of just putting 11 guys on a park to win football matches has gone with the dodo.
An analog club in a digital world just disnae cut it.