The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Listened to the interview, credit to Dave Cormack - was a good interview and brave. The person interviewing was an arse. The fans and media are so often wrong, but they never get sacked. Ironic given so many fans say they want youth to be given a chance and attacking football but aren't prepared to wait if wins don't come.

Edited by 2426255

I'm not convinced by the "giving youth a chance" narrative. Dean Campbell has been dropped from midfield in favour of two loanees and an old man. McLennan seems to be behind Hayes in the pecking order. Ngwenya has fallen back out of the picture. Apart from the two full backs who were first put in by Sheerin, have any youth team graduates really had a look in? 

Can't really afford to wait too long in what is essentially a ten team division.

Different in the old 18/19 (20) days.

Playing everybody 3/4 times means everyone is snipping points off each other, doesn't take long to get stranded.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What does Cormack Park have?

Our indoor facilities are basic I think, but we've got an all weather pitch and 2 grass pitches for training on at the ground. Always wondered where that would rank against other clubs in terms of owned facilities.

Aside from all the usual "state-of-the-art" gym facilities and catering etc you would expect, it has:

3no. professional pitches (one of which is a hybrid pitch)
2no. 3G pitches
2no. grass pitches

What the difference is between a professional pitch and a grass pitch is I have nae idea. The hybrid pitch was originally suppose to be an exact replica of the one in the stadium next door (including orientation). The idea being they could train on it all wewek getting used to the angle of the sun, then go straight into the stadium at the weekend and it would be as close to identical an experience as possible.

No idea how the new preferred location down the beach will affect that.

Edit:

I believe there is still space left for a future indoor pitch if they decide they need one.

Edit 2:

Also, the above is what was supposed to have been delivered. Can't say for certain that's actually what is there.

Edited by Illgresi

Former player George Kinnell has died aged 83

Aberdeen FC were saddened to learn today of the death of former player George Kinnell.

The sixties star, who also wore the captain’s armband, passed away peacefully on Saturday 16th October 2021 at home. He had bravely fought dementia and Alzheimer’s in recently years.

Born in Cowdenbeath on 22nd December 1937, George served Aberdeen between 1959 and 1963. He made 165 appearances and scored 25 goals.

A product of Crossgates Primrose, his strength in the tackle and never-say-die spirit attracted the attention of the Aberdeen scouts early in 1959. He was signed as a professional by the Pittodrie club after playing a trial at wing-half for Aberdeen Reserves against Falkirk A in February, 1959. During his term with the Dons, George turned out for the first team at full-back as well as wing-half, but finally established himself as a sound and reliable centre-half and also a dependable penalty taker. In the latter stages of 1962/63, George was even played up front in an effort to strengthen the forward line.

Following a lot of interest from south of the border, George moved to Stoke City in November 1963 and played in the 1964 Football League Cup final for them as they lost the two-legged final 4-3 to Leicester City. He later had a brief spell at Oldham before joining Sunderland in 1966, moving on to Middlesbrough in 1968, and, a year later, moving to play in Australia.

After a seven-year spell in the southern hemisphere, George eventually returned to live in Aberdeen and was a regular visitor to Pittodrie on a matchday and a very supportive figure in the Former Players’ Association. He was also the cousin of the late Jim Baxter.

Our thoughts are with his son Gary and the rest of the family.

Rest in Peace George

Link has an interview conducted in 2005 which is an interesting read.

Edited by GNU_Linux

Just now, GNU_Linux said:

Former player George Kinnell has died aged 83

Link has an interview conducted which is an interesting read.

That's sad news.

I only saw him play for the Dons once, against Falkirk in 1963, 3-0 to the Dons. He was transferred before the next home game.

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

In terms of a modern football club Aberdeen are way behind,The fact of just having a training centre in use recently is one example.

So by your statement, Aberdeen are the last club in the league to have their own training ground and every other club in the league got their’s 20 years ago. That appears to be what you’re saying?

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I can’t really speak for anyone else. 

I wouldn’t have given him stick for turning down Kenny macintyre, my heart sank when the club were broadcasting the fact he would be on. 

He doesn’t give any substance, just a lot of noise. The only actual information we received last night was that glass won’t be sacked. The rest was just self serving pish. 

We also found out that he doesn’t particularly like Kenny McIntyre.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

As I said before, we’re all entitled to our opinion, but I simply don’t agree with your take on last night’s interview. For more than a few weeks now, Cormack has been getting stick for saying nothing during this concerning run. Yesterday he gets an invite from the BBC to come on for a live interview on Sportsound, and accepts knowing full well that opinion would be divided on what he was going to say. If he had turned down the invitation Kenny McIntyre would have said at the start of the programme that they are going to discuss the situation at Aberdeen, that they had invited Cormack onto the show, and that he had declined. The stick that he would have received for that would have been huge. Basically he couldn’t win whatever, but decided to put his head above the parapet and take the kind of flak that you are giving him.

I am genuinely interested in what way you feel that Aberdeen are about 20 years behind the rest of the clubs in the league?

@LIVIFOREVER - MultiQuote?

👍

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Joey, he was getting stick because you couldn't shut him up when things were going well. Especially when fans were blowing smoke up his arse.

First sign of trouble with his man in the hot seat and he was nowhere to be seen.

Didn't want to be seen undermining the management apparently. I had decided a long time ago that McInnes' time was up but Cormack had no issue publicly shooting his mouth about anything and everything when he was thre.

Merkie min, I wouldn’t say that coming on to a live show on the national broadcaster’s radio station after a run of five defeats on the trot, is being nowhere to be seen. He could easily have turned down BBC Scotland’s request to come on the show, then you’d have had a point.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

So by your statement, Aberdeen are the last club in the league to have their own training ground and every other club in the league got their’s 20 years ago. That appears to be what you’re saying?

I think you're giving him too much credit.

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Only the modern ones surely? 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

What does Cormack Park have?

Our indoor facilities are basic I think, but we've got an all weather pitch and 2 grass pitches for training on at the ground. Always wondered where that would rank against other clubs in terms of owned facilities.

Nobody, well apart from Willie Bhoy, is having a go at St Johnstone’s training facilities. They got in there years ago.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I'm not convinced by the "giving youth a chance" narrative. Dean Campbell has been dropped from midfield in favour of two loanees and an old man. McLennan seems to be behind Hayes in the pecking order. Ngwenya has fallen back out of the picture. Apart from the two full backs who were first put in by Sheerin, have any youth team graduates really had a look in? 

Kieran Ngwenya is on loan at Kelty Hearts.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's sad news.

I only saw him play for the Dons once, against Falkirk in 1963, 3-0 to the Dons. He was transferred before the next home game.

It is sad and I remember him from my collection of a Green Final Pen Pics but not sure if I ever saw him play for us. Pretty sure he came back with Cowdenbeath and was part of the team that lost 7.0 in late 1970, which I was at.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

It is sad and I remember him from my collection of a Green Final Pen Pics but not sure if I ever saw him play for us. Pretty sure he came back with Cowdenbeath and was part of the team that lost 7.0 in late 1970, which I was at.

So was I, that was his brother I think, it wasn't George