Jump to content

The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2021/22


Guest

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

McInnes goes into this in a recent interview in The Times where he's full of praise for Aberdeen as a club - at least up to Cormack's takeover.  He's obviously not willing to come right out and start slagging Cormack - getting a reputation for slagging off your chairman won't improve your chances of getting another job - but you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to work out the message.  And the interviewer fills in a couple of the gaps just in case you miss what's being said. (The headline is "Derek McInnes: Working With Good People Is Key".)

  McInnes says: There was things about the last year, a lot of things going on that didn’t sit well, and I knew the time was right for the change

The article goes on to say: 

Perhaps we should have seen it coming at Aberdeen, even in the ego-infested shallows of Scottish football, when Cormack’s arrival was heralded not by Aberdeen’s new training complex being named after Sir Alex Ferguson, who dutifully travelled north for the opening ceremony, but instead called “Cormack Park”. McInnes does not plunge into those waters, but from this observer’s standpoint that set the alarm bells ringing,  (I don't think it's a stretch to suspect McInnes did indeed "plunge into these waters" but strictly off-the-record.)

Also:

he’d have liked ......perhaps also to have stepped aside closer to when Stewart Milne made way for Dave Cormack.

What comes across ironically is that McInnes actually agreed with the Deek out brigade that "it was time", not because he couldn't do the job but because a narcissistic chairman had made it impossible to do properly.

 

 

Last January's transfer window was close to constructive dismissal by Cormack. 

Mind you I'm not sure i'd have backed a manager who'd recently signed Curtis Main either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I mean, you just made this up, didn't you? 

I'd love to see you posting that being an interim manager of Shamrock Rovers and Atlanta for 38 games (9 wins) over 9 years was somehow experience enough to come and coach Aberdeen and 'take us to the next level' (tm).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'd love to see you posting that being an interim manager of Shamrock Rovers and Atlanta for 38 games (9 wins) over 9 years was somehow experience enough to come and coach Aberdeen and 'take us to the next level' (tm).

That is simply not what your initial post said, though. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms to be made of Cormack and Glass at the moment without making things up. 

And, for what it's worth, Glass wouldn't have been in my top 20 choices to replace McInnes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Last January's transfer window was close to constructive dismissal by Cormack. 

Mind you I'm not sure i'd have backed a manager who'd recently signed Curtis Main either. 

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Cormack said our wage budget was about £2m higher than any non-OF club last season. Whilst his relationship with McInnes undoubtedly would not have been as strong as Milne's was, that isn't the sign of a chairman who isn't giving the manager a fighting chance to succeed.

Edited by DrewDon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

That is simply not what your initial post said, though. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms to be made of Cormack and Glass at the moment without making things up. 

And, for what it's worth, Glass wouldn't have been in my top 20 choices to replace McInnes. 

Honestly, how did I make things up ?

Glass has never been appointed a first team manager in his life before.  He stood in as short term, interim manager at 2 clubs, and even then his record was worse than average. 

I stand by my criticism that this is an untried, virgin manager. 

 

Edited by Bob Mahelp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bob Mahelp said:

Honestly, how did I make things up ?

Glass has never been appointed a first team manager in his life before.  He stood in as short term, interim manager at 2 clubs, and even then his record was worse than average. 

I stand by my criticism that this an untried, virgin manager. 

 

You literally said that Glass had "never coached a first team game" before joining Aberdeen. That is demonstrably incorrect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

You literally said that Glass had "never coached a first team game" before joining Aberdeen. That is demonstrably incorrect.

You're right. I should have counted his two failed 6 month terms in the last 10 years as interim manager at clubs while they waited for a real manager. 

Well done. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Glass looked on with an air of despondency as his team, which showed spark and verve in parts of their early season Europa League campaign, moved around the pitch in a predictable fashion in their search for a late equaliser."
 

Aberdeen's dreary form in focus as 'outside noise' grows louder for Stephen Glass and underperforming team - https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/aberdeens-dreary-form-focus-outside-21886331

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, big al said:

What’s Russell done wrong?

Striker and set pieces coach. Most of our goals come from set pieces as the midfield is pish.

He offers nothing in terms of experience, he’s a specialist, the kind of person that gets taken on board to add a little something extra. How many of such ‘specialists’ operate as an assistant manager? How many goalkeeping coaches occupy the position? We were initially telt that Broon wid be the assistant manager, but he ends up being team captain - this in itsel is problematic. How can Broon be on the ‘inside’ as team captain, but ‘ootside’ as a no. 2 tae the manager? Nah, this is so nae richt. In my opinion, Russel is offering nothing tae the management o this club. We’ve improved oor set pieces, fair doos, but partly based on the quality of Ramsay’s delivery. But he’s had nae impact on how we can create mair chances, how we turn possession intae goals. He’s part of the problem, the hail management collective is a problem.

Edited by 72redz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I read it before. A puff piece if I remember correctly.

How's it a puff piece exactly ? 

It gives a fair insight into life at Pittodrie after Cormack took over I'd say. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Interesting take on things.

You didn't read any of the comments, but use phrases like 'disgrace' and an insult like 'stockholm syndrome' if some supporters have a different point of view to you.

Presume you are possibly one of the twitteratti Dons fans who's opinion Cormack seems to place so much stock on?

I was very pissed last night tbh 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, big al said:

What’s Russell done wrong?

Striker and set pieces coach. Most of our goals come from set pieces as the midfield is pish.

Only 3 goals from 11 from League and Cup have been from set pieces, Fergie's shoulder, Broons heel and Ramirez's header at St Mirren...the latter being well worked. Not as many as you'd think. The Ramirez first goal at Breidablik was training ground and Considine's for the home leg was worked well. Maybe his remit is purely specialised and limited as you say. I'd be more keen on having someone though that realises 2 goals from open play in the last 6 games is unacceptable with all that possession and has a plan to sort this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Sheepster said:

Only 3 goals from 11 from League and Cup have been from set pieces, Fergie's shoulder, Broons heel and Ramirez's header at St Mirren...the latter being well worked. Not as many as you'd think. The Ramirez first goal at Breidablik was training ground and Considine's for the home leg was worked well. Maybe his remit is purely specialised and limited as you say. I'd be more keen on having someone though that realises 2 goals from open play in the last 6 games is unacceptable with all that possession and has a plan to sort this. 

Exactly min

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

How's it a puff piece exactly ? 

It gives a fair insight into life at Pittodrie after Cormack took over I'd say. 

 

It's the typical piece you see for a manager looking to get back in to the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...