The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, 72redz said:

I think Glass will be given the opportunity tae turn things roon, but, I get the feeling Cormack might sacrifice Russell as a scapegoat. We really could do with a Jim Duffy coming in, even short term tae support Glass and work on oor defenders. 

:lol: because all the best chairman/manager relationships are built upon, a few months into the job, ‘aye mind that boy you hired, don’t like him. But here is Jim fucking Duffy’ 😂

My positives from today (clutching at straws)
1. We scored two goals, one a cracker.
2. After losing our last three league games, if we beat Celtic next weekend we go above them after 8 games played.
That’s it really.

I think in the hour we got from Hedges and Jenks, both looked good from an attacking perspective.

Whether Jenks gets another chance any time soon after his stupidity remains to be seen, but he looked tidy. Hedges didn’t cover himself in glory for the second goal alas, but maybe a defensive change needed to be made sooner after the red card to try and avoid the @rse collapse that followed.

Maybe we also discovered that Bates isn’t any more the answer than others that have played central defence this season - and it’s actually the whole tactical ethos of the team, rather than individuals in particular, that is costing us goals.

The defensive soft touch we would become this season was sadly very predictable - MacCormick has been relatively quiet, time for a vote of confidence in his new regime maybe?

44 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I know things are desperate but Jim Duffy? Fucking hell. The man's been failing job to job for well over a decade now. It's only because he has pals in the media that he gets any work at all.

I witnessed Duffy in the lowly depths of League 1 last season and he almost relegated Dumbarton playing the most negative and uninspiring style of football known to man.

Was shocked to see him at Ayr even as a number 2 afte that tbh

Hello everybody new on here. South stand season ticket holder since 1988....

I was actually liking us today...not free flowing fitba but with hedges and hayes we looked far better than with jet...he is a waste of a wage in my opinion....the sending off changed the game but i thought we handled that poorly we were too negative....i remember few years ago at county we went down to ten men, took a striker on and won the game...2016 i think 🤔 

Anyway...looking forward to contributing my opinions on here

9 hours ago, tarapoa said:

I think in the hour we got from Hedges and Jenks, both looked good from an attacking perspective.

Whether Jenks gets another chance any time soon after his stupidity remains to be seen, but he looked tidy. Hedges didn’t cover himself in glory for the second goal alas, but maybe a defensive change needed to be made sooner after the red card to try and avoid the @rse collapse that followed.

Maybe we also discovered that Bates isn’t any more the answer than others that have played central defence this season - and it’s actually the whole tactical ethos of the team, rather than individuals in particular, that is costing us goals.

The defensive soft touch we would become this season was sadly very predictable - MacCormick has been relatively quiet, time for a vote of confidence in his new regime maybe?

So who do you think will be coming in, then...

1 minute ago, Desp said:

How's Declan getting on?

He didn't.

I'm coming to the conclusion that it probably wouldn't matter if we had Chiellini and Bonucci - the system we play would still mean the gobi desert between them, and binoculars required to see the two young full backs high up the pitch.

4 minutes ago, OneBrianIrvine said:

Probably better than Joe Lewis. I’m as frustrated with him as the next Dandy but some of the wild takes and personal abuse elsewhere is out of order. Until past year or so he’s been fantastic for us and also a model pro. Brilliant with fans, obviously has a lot of time for the club and our city. Even if he wasn’t, the name calling by some of our so called support is pathetic. 

Many amongst our support are c**ts, we know this.  Overall positive contributors to good ship AFC are very quickly hung out to dry when things go wrong.

Probably no different to fans of most clubs though - just the way it is these days.

Edited by tarapoa

I agree that fans abusing Lewis is repugnant but he has been a problem for two seasons in a row now.  You need to look at his history - he looked to have the qualities to play at a higher level, was even selected for England at one point, but ended up here after intermittent bouts of serious loss of confidence and poor form.  He got a platform to rebuild his career at Aberdeen and he took it. 

For most of his time here has been excellent as a keeper and a professional.  But let's be honest, one reason he stayed here instead of moving to richer pastures was that a familiar club where he'd done well was a comfort blanket . There was always that fragility under the surface.

At the start of last season his confidence went awol again, and he started making too mistakes.  It's a horrible problem for a manager - you have a guy who's your captain, your highest paid player, and a deserved fans' favourite  costing you goals and points.

Do you persist with him and hope he works his way through it or drop him and maybe destroy what little is left of his self-belief, writing off what was one of your main assets? 

He's been given every chance by two managers and that's well over a season of sub-par performances.  At some point we will have to accept that the Lewis of a few seasons ago isn't coming back, and the Lewis of the last couple isn't good enough. And sadly I think we've reached it.

1 hour ago, Game of throw-ins said:

I agree that fans abusing Lewis is repugnant but he has been a problem for two seasons in a row now.  You need to look at his history - he looked to have the qualities to play at a higher level, was even selected for England at one point, but ended up here after intermittent bouts of serious loss of confidence and poor form.  He got a platform to rebuild his career at Aberdeen and he took it. 

For most of his time here has been excellent as a keeper and a professional.  But let's be honest, one reason he stayed here instead of moving to richer pastures was that a familiar club where he'd done well was a comfort blanket . There was always that fragility under the surface.

At the start of last season his confidence went awol again, and he started making too mistakes.  It's a horrible problem for a manager - you have a guy who's your captain, your highest paid player, and a deserved fans' favourite  costing you goals and points.

Do you persist with him and hope he works his way through it or drop him and maybe destroy what little is left of his self-belief, writing off what was one of your main assets? 

He's been given every chance by two managers and that's well over a season of sub-par performances.  At some point we will have to accept that the Lewis of a few seasons ago isn't coming back, and the Lewis of the last couple isn't good enough. And sadly I think we've reached it.

Play him at centre half - it worked for Bobby Clark...

Guest Bob Mahelp

I'm uncertain how I feel about things today. 

I thought that....up to the red card....that was the best we'd played since the 2nd half at Tynecastle, and the fact is that the team recovered well after losing yet another stupid, quick goal. We were completely in control and playing some good stuff. 

Does anybody believe that we would have lost that game yesterday with 11 men ? 

The mistake came in the management not reacting quickly enough to events in the game. Another example of Glass's inexperience. 

Our players are not as bad as results suggest, and some day soon we're going to give someone a doing. 

But appointing Glass was still a massive mistake though, and the danger is that we've set the club back 10 years. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp